Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
2006 987

Garage
PCA - worth joining?

What is your opinion of the PCA? Is it worth joining?

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, its worth it. Value depends on what you expect to get out of it and how much you put into it. The good thing is that whatever your "thing" is, PCA is big enough that you can probably find others who like the same thing whether its wine & cheese, tech, track days, racing, concours, or just having lunch and talking Porsche. And remember, its a year by year deal. If you don't find it useful, don't renew.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #3

I've owned Porsches for the past thirty years and have lived in three states as well as in Europe. I own a Porsche to drive, not to socialize. Some PCA regions offer training in the garage and on the track, while others focus on wine and cheese. If you're near St Louis you probably have a choice of a couple of regions. As Thstone says, try them out. If they don't fit, try another, and if none fit -- it's adios and open highway here I come. Must say though, I do enjoy the magazine.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

I'm a member and I like anything that adds to this enjoyable ownership/experience.Good folks and more to learn! The club is huge and the magazine is good.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #5

Garage
They also have an occasional members-only raffle with some fine prizes... http://www.pca.org/pdfforms/2012RaffleFall.pdf
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
As a member of PCA leadership I am a bit biased.

* 10% discount at the dealer parts counter
* Free Panorama mag (soon to be run by a former Excellence editor)
* A resource for quality local services like repair shops, paint and detail, top installers, race prep, restorations etc.
*Car meets
* historic racing and car museum tours
* group canyon carving
* well established performance driving program including AX, DE, TT and club racing.

Every region has a little different culture and focus, and within each region are groups with a common interest. Some will get together and have an engine pulling or IMS upgrade party while others will spend a day doing concours prep. The wild eyed canyon carvers will take a run after a PCA breakfast and hopefully not get arrested. The track guys will be swapping stories about their latest car setup and tires. The socialites will be planning a gentle tour to the wine country.

As with most things, the PCA is not for everybody and the quality of your experience is often what you make it to be. Is it worth $46/yr? I think it is.

Last edited by Topless; 12-08-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Garage
definitely worth it. As with any club or group a lot depends on the leadership of your particular chapter. We are very lucky in the carolina's region as we are only a couple of hours from 7 different regions of the PCA and can attend events with all of them which is great, because our home region, the mountain region has a leadership that seems to favor the shine and show group and not do enough actual driving events, wine tours, etc. I see a porsche as a machine to be driven and enjoyed, not kept in a garage and polished until a car show comes along.
We even have a group of retired members within our region that get together and plan drives when there are not enough driving activities to suit us in the PCA. You can definitely meet a lot of like minded porsche owners that will become friends.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Garage
Very worth while. Our local chapter has an event almost every month. Your national due will put you in touch with a local club in your area. You get the Panorama Magazine. Discounts to PCA De and AX events.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Garage
Very worthwhile IMO. I've only been a member since July but I have met some of the most down to earth, friendliest people & had a blast at the few tours & get togethers I have attended. In fact I'm not sure who has more fun & looks forward to events more, me or my wife!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #10

Its a cheap membership, 1 tank of gas worth, and I'll save more and get access to stuff that will make it pay for its self.

Since May I did a Performance Driving school and an Autocross so far and made about a dozen new friends. Also benefited from the experience of other members.

Whats that worth?

Couldn't hurt to try it out for a year at least and then decide.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote