Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Porsche lug nut lock key failure.

While removing my wheels today I experienced a total lug nut lock key failure.

As I put presser on the breaker bar I heard that familiar death rattle and the wrench completely disengaged, I feared the worst.

As you can see it has been welded once before, so I took the faulty key to my local Porsche dealer, the nice salesman told me that the new 981 lug key was completely redesigned and that it did not experience total failure anymore, an in the 986 model, but that my key was out of warranty and would have to buy a new one.

Here is the new and improved key, its more shout and robust than the old, I cant Wait to put it in my tool kit.

Yours,

Kasmire

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Garage
Thats a big breaker bar for taking off those lugnuts, there is no way that the lugs should be that tight to break the locknut key... WOW... Somebody obviously over did it using that key once before and it was beginning to split.....
130NM or 95.8 ft/lbs is the torque spec although i generally torque mine between 86-88.... never an issue so far with the key.

Last edited by Heiko; 12-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

I think it may have been the trained monkeys at Discount tire, their impact wrench may have been set to high.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Garage
I swear some of those guys would be lost without an impact gun... Very Scary!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

I only hand torque my key nut to 85 ftlbs.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Had the same thing happen to me….no breaker bar but Discount Tire was the culprit using an air impact gun. Got a muffler guy to weld the locker for $5 (beer money) and managed to get lugs off.

Bought a set of locking lugs off ebay. While the thread pattern and depth were correct the head size is wrong. Had a member offer his, but these darned chrome rims strike again!

Had forgot about it until I saw this thread, thanks for reminding me Kash!

Anyone have CHROME locking lugs they want to rid themselves of?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

I replaced my locking lugs with regular bolts. I'm gambling nobody is going to steal the wheels on a 12 year old car.

Whenever I get my cat back from a shop that has removed the wheels, I always re-torque the bolts to the right spec, although last time I was pleasantly surprised that Tire kingdom had torqued them correctly. Once, they were so tight, I couldn't break them by hand and had to go back to the shop to have them loosened with an impact wrench, and then watch them as they torqued the the bolts with a torque wrench.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #8

You can get torque-limiting extensions for impact guns. I use my impact gun to tighten the lug bolts to about 85 lbs and hand tighten them with a torque wrench up to 96 lbs.

That is a pretty serious breaker bar you have there!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #9

Question Time

It seems that most of us have thrown away our Secret Squirrel locking lug nuts because they are a pain in the a$$ and of no real value. Has anyone ever had the wheels stolen from his Boxster? Anyone? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that members of the low-life scum squad who would steal "rims" are not interested in those found on a Boxster. What? No spinners?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #10

I wish someone would steal my rims. Then I could get the ones I actually want plus a new set of tyres on MPI's dime!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
It seems that most of us have thrown away our Secret Squirrel locking lug nuts because they are a pain in the a$$ and of no real value. Has anyone ever had the wheels stolen from his Boxster? Anyone? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that members of the low-life scum squad who would steal "rims" are not interested in those found on a Boxster.
+1 The happiest day of my life is when I got rid of those dang locking lug nuts!

And its hard to image someone stealing rims from a 12 yr old car that is worth less than a 2008 Honda Civic.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Garage
Funnily enough the previous owner of my car got rid of the security lug nuts. I haven't had any issues with theft.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Thats a big breaker bar for taking off those lugnuts, there is no way that the lugs should be that tight to break the locknut key... WOW... Somebody obviously over did it using that key once before and it was beginning to split.....
130NM or 95.8 ft/lbs is the torque spec although i generally torque mine between 86-88.... never an issue so far with the key.
Actually I use a longer one. I only torque mine to 90lbs. With the long bar it is easy to remove. I hate using impact gun to remove. A few slips is all it takes to mess them up.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #14

My key has a split in it. I'm debating whether or not to replace it or get 4 regular lug nuts.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Actually I use a longer one. I only torque mine to 90lbs. With the long bar it is easy to remove. I hate using impact gun to remove. A few slips is all it takes to mess them up.
Thats ok... I was hoping he didnt actually need one that big to take them off due to them being too tight... most guys i know that use breaker bars that big, forget that the longer the bar is the easier it is to overtighten the bolts - ah just another 1/4 turn and it'll be ok - SNAP...

It's sort of like getting your oil changed at the quick-lube... Yup, those oil pan bolts do have a torque spec... LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockmeister View Post
My key has a split in it. I'm debating whether or not to replace it or get 4 regular lug nuts.
Do yourself a favor -- get replacements and be done with it.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #17

Garage
+1 go with regular bolts, the locking ones break too easily & it will cost you more time & money somewhere down the line.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #18

Garage
Just get rid of the locking lug bolts. They are totally useless against theft of your wheels. A set of special sockets that cut and grab ANY locking lug nut are about $40. Any serious wheel thief will have them in the booth of his/her car!
I know, I used those special sockets to get rid of my locking lug bolts since I didn't have the key. Piece of cake!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Just get rid of the locking lug bolts. They are totally useless against theft of your wheels. A set of special sockets that cut and grab ANY locking lug nut are about $40. Any serious wheel thief will have them in the booth of his/her car!
I know, I used those special sockets to get rid of my locking lug bolts since I didn't have the key. Piece of cake!
I did the same. Bought the keyed lug removal tool to get rid of mine since the car did not come with the lug key.

Just locks on as you twist and takes them off easily as if you where using the key.

If anyone needs the set at half price $20, I only used it once to take off my 4 locks and replaced with regular lugs. Retails for $40.

Any car thief will have no issue at all removing locking lugs so they are completely useless.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #20

I'm done with the locking lug nuts. I just ordered 4 regular ones fron Suncoast. Along with the programmable key fob to replace the one that got messed up.

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote