Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Boxster spare replacement

I was recently told by a tire salesman that the spare tire in my 2000 Boxster must be replaced because it is over 10 yrs old. He said the tire is at risk to explode because it is de-graded by age. I could find nothing in my owner's manual or maintenance manual. Is this true?

xoldavex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

I think that is BS to a certain degree.
Yes, tires do deteriorate over time. But not as fast or as severe as a tire exposed to the elements.
Since your spare, is in the front trunk all you probably need is to make sure it doesn't have cracks in the rubber and it still holds air.
About three years ago I had a flat on my 1987 Corvette. The spare, carried under the rear of the car, had never been used or taken out of its carrier. It was however out of air. I took it to discount tire where they cleaned the debri from the wheel & lip of the tire and inflated it. No worries. It still is holding air.
I think someone wants to sell you a porsche spare tire.
Just my two cents...
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Garage
Sunlight is the main thing that ages tires. As previous poster said just inspect tire closely for cracks especially close to the rim. The tire is not "as good as new" but is probably fit for temporary use. Like any other tire do not exceed the capabilities of the tire & you will be fine if you need to use it.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoldavex View Post
I was recently told by a tire salesman that the spare tire in my 2000 Boxster must be replaced

Ahhhhhh, ya think.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Page 202 of the 2003 Boxster Owners Manual states that the spare tire needs to be checked often and that:

Under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used on your Porsche.

It then goes on to explain the DOT date code.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

There's no rocket science here. Ignore the manual and the tire salesman. Just inspect the spare and if its old and cracked, then replace it. If not, check the pressure occasionally and use as recommended (no high speed runs) and all will be fine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #7

Garage
Just throw out the spare and replace it with a compressor and a can of flat-fix. Doesn't help when a tire blows though. Ask me how I know. A hint, if you can feel the inside of the tire.......

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote