Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

TO buy or not to buy

OK, I finally figured out how to post an original thread. Sorry if this is redundant. I am a rookie to this site. Anyway.....

I found a 2000 Boxster S with 9700 miles. Car has been garaged in Arizona with original owner. This car is upgraded like crazy and I have not been able to find one even close. (Midnight blue metallic, beige interior, upgraded wheels, porsche emblem stamped in leather seats, guages colered to match interior, comes with aero kit, etc...) Middle aged Scottsdale couple that drove the car on weekends and then lost interest.
Car is immaculate inside and out. Owner drove the car about 8500 miles in the first 10 years, and then only about 1200 miles since 2010.
In 2010 he had to replace a siezed fuel pump, had oil change, brake system flush, new tires, etc... I assume due to the fact that it has been sitting.

I verified the service history with the dealership and he has been pretty good on getting recommended services (although not perfect). Service guy told me that there are no prior issues reported on the car, services refused, major repairs, etc....

I test drove the car and it drove great. Although I did not push it very hard. Maybe got it up to 50 mph on side streets. Shifts fine, no rattles, noises, etc...

Question is: Would you guys buy this car? I can buy it for about 20,000 (maybe a little lower).
At first, my gut reaction was that this was a rare find. However, I have been reading so much about cars with 'too low' mileage, and this has scared me a bit.
Any help would be appreciated.

bmarti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Being a relative newbie on this forum having owned my 2001 Boxster base 1.5 years this is my 5 cents worth. When I bought mine it had 40k miles. Now it has about 50k miles. Have spent $3k on mine, cv joints, ims guardian, snow tires rims etc in the year and half.

Others will chime in but this is what I have noticed in the past year on the forum. Low mile cars seem to have a predisposition toward ims failure. Consider reading section in this forum on prospective Boxster buying if you have not already done so.

Secondly it seems too pricey considering its age. Just coz it's got only 9700 miles on it does not justify that high price he is asking.

Don't buy the first one u see. Don't be in a hurry to buy. For sure get a ppi done on one u are serious about.

Plan on spending $1-3k a year on maintenance. If the engine blows up due ims fail, then it is way more $$$$. You cannot run a Box for the same cost as a Miata MX5.

Others will chime in. Let us know what u are considering. Remember knowledge is $$$$ saved.Enjoy your search.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

+1 to recycledsixtie Read the trade in value thread, his car is newer and upgraded and he was looking for less than twenty, much less in fact. Granted his mileage is far higher but his upgrades are more tangible than the crests on the seats.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

The price is high but other than that I wouldn't disregard this car. The IMS can be replaced for approx $2K and you should either do the replacement or get an IMS Guardian immediately after you buy it. You'll probably have some replacement items that will go bad after you start to drive it such as CV boots, serpentine belt, possibly water pump, etc. Stuff that's 12 yrs old and is now brittle. Also, the tires could be weather or age checked and not safe if they're still the originals.

Don't be afraid to buy a super low mileage car, just be aware that it's going to need some replacement parts to get it back into the daily grind. There's lots of joy left in it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

Garage
I bought a 2000 S with 25K miles about a month ago. It's been perfect so far, and a joy to drive. I just installed an IMS Guardian and have been replacing standard items (filters, belts, etc.) since getting it.

I'd get a PPI done for sure, and if you buy it, plan on replacing wear items and other components that might have become brittle over time. Personally, I'd opt for the IMS Guardian versus doing the bearing at this point.

When they do the PPI, make absolutely certain that you see the used filter. Good luck - it sounds as though you've got an incredible find.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

a ultra low mileage car for 20k is a good price . i would only be concerned about the IMS and RMS . that car is pretty much brand new and 1 owner . go for it !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

The Blue Book private party price is around $22K. The Blue Book price is relatively high because the car is an S model and it has super low miles. At $20K, its a decent good deal.

Do your own due diligence and at least drive it on the freeway. Be sure to get a PPI. Never buy the first car you drive. Go out and drive a few more even if only to convince yourself that this IS the right car for you.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

Garage
During the PPI while it is up on the rack check very closely for any leaks. If it is a auto transmission have it checked throughly. Auto trans lowers the value of the car. If the car is mint pursue it. these cars are old now so if paint & interior is mint that is a bonus. Probably best to just replace the IMSB with the LN retrofit. I think it is hard to get parts for a auto trans that year so if it has auto be positive it's like new also.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

If it were me, I'd offer $18k. If they bit, have the IMS / RMS addressed and enjoy, if not keep looking. My 2 cents.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #10

In the used market sometimes you have to pay a premium to get certain things that maybe only you find desirable. I think the price is decent. I just bought an 08 LE Boxster S. I paid more than what I would have for an 08 with similar mileage, but I probably wouldn't have bought a Boxster if I didn't see this orange one. It also has a Fabspeed exhaust on it, which makes it even a little better.

If the car passes inspection then I would go for it. The nice thing about low miles on a 12 year old car, is that it's still in new car condition. I see a lot of 986's on the road, but must of them are somewhat beat up from age, wear and tear, and the fact that people just stop taking care of a car's appearance after that period of time. You would be getting a car that still has new Porsche head turning ability at about 1/4 of the price of a new one.
ravensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #11

I don't know. I think the car sounds great but the price sounds to high to me.

Reason: I purchased my 2000 S for $14K in Scottsdale on 12-31-10 with 48K miles and most of those upgrades (6 spd manual- no aero kit) and having already had several "wear" items already replaced Clutch, water pump, a/o sep, rear window, etc. I know that is 30K more miles but it is also just about 2 years ago. I think $15K to $18 K tops.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

I would get a PPI and if everything checks out, jump on it. A low mileage, well optioned, well care for one owner Boxster S is a good find. And Lord knows us middle aged folks with disposable income take damn good care of our cars!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

To buy or not to buy

Thank you all for your comments. I will get a PPI and see how it goes. Excited to buy my first boxster.
bmarti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #14

+1 on payig 18k then doing IMS/RMS right away. I'd flush every fluid and replace belts/hoses too. You'd end up with a pretty nice car with a long life ahead of it.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #15

6 months ago, I bought an '01 Boxster S with 22K miles and all the options I wanted (triple blue, Litronics, PASM, upgraded wheels) for $18K. The tires had good tread depth, but were too old to keep. It needed a brake fluid flush, battery, oil change, new alternator/voltage regulator, a new CV joint (cheaper to replace the whole thing). I had the belt replaced while the motor was exposed. I replaced the gas struts supporting the trunk and frunk, as they started to collapse on cold days. I spent more than I budgeted, but the car has been a joy. It runs strongly, on and off the track, and has been completely dependable. My recommendation: buy and budget 20% for 1st year repairs.
iaincamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #16

I would agree, do a PPI, buy it (negotiate lower for costs) and then dump several thousand into it to get it running safely... including new tires (check dot code, note you can end up paying $1k-$2k in tires depending on your choice), IMS LN bearing, major service / belt, fluid flushes.

Any money you save by getting a car in not in as good condition as you want, you will likely end up spending anyhow to get back to the condition you want it to be in... Sounds like this car is good both cosemetically and with some work, will be a like-new driver as well.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #17

I sold my '01S with 58k miles and perfect new Michelin PS2 N-rated for $13.5k and it needed nothing. I'd value a new sitting inside less than 10k miles car somewhat higher and give it plus for the 2010 service and dealer history. I wouldn't go to 20k though ... maybe 17k.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
I would agree, do a PPI, buy it (negotiate lower for costs) and then dump several thousand into it to get it running safely... including new tires (check dot code, note you can end up paying $1k-$2k in tires depending on your choice), IMS LN bearing, major service / belt, fluid flushes.

Any money you save by getting a car in not in as good condition as you want, you will likely end up spending anyhow to get back to the condition you want it to be in... Sounds like this car is good both cosemetically and with some work, will be a like-new driver as well.
I'll second this motion.

Many people have hugely mistaken the fact that no miles means no maintenance.

If you can't work on it yourself you may be wasting your money... Remember, coolant and brake fluid are recommended every 2 years, I would do it annually. When belts sit, they get stiff and misshapen, so that is a must after you buy it.

As comet stated, tires would be a must, since tires although many will not show noticeable wear, or cracking, they get hard and stiff and need to be changed over long periods of time. At 9,700 miles it could very easily still have the factory tires on it. Remember, those are 12 years old....

As some one previously said, for whatever reason, low mileage cars seem to be prone to the IMS failure, so I would not install the IMS Guardian, but count your blessings, and your dollars, and have some one install an LN IMS Bearing. That is nearly a $1200 shot right at the beginning.

So if you want it, get it. But be prepared to pour $3,000 in it a month after you buy it. And another $3,000 in the first year of ownership.

Best of luck,
~Brad
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #19

I think the price is high, but if it has new rubber and is in mint condition, a one owner car would be nice. That being said I'd still offer bluebook on it and see if he would go down.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Ex Esso kid

Coolant flush every year? That seems extreme.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote