Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #21

I tend to think that a subtle drop with lowering springs is a far better option then going with bigger wheels. My 02S is on stock 17" twists and I think the sizing is bang on for the weight and power. Maybe I'll bump the fronts to 215s or 225s in an attempt to dial out some of the understeer, but that's it. I think 19's are too much wheel for the car. I'll never understand the benefit of ultra low profile tires for street use. I think it makes the car less usable, less tossable and in may cases slower off the line and out of turns. It will likely also cost a few MPGs. If you're pushing 400+ hp then by all means, go with some huge fender meat. Otherwise, I think it's kind of the automotive equivalent stuffing a sock down your pants. It might look mean and attract attention, but at the end of the day it's "false advertising" if it's only for looks. Which stands out even more on a Porsche, not a designer known for having unneeded bling.

Just my opinion! Good luck!!!

Last edited by shadrach74; 12-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #22

Garage
I love the BBS LM's and R's Thinking about doing those myself in 18". I have factory Classic 17's and they are just a little to small for my taste. I would not be willing to go with 19's. I agree $1800 is way off on the price of LM's new you are looking at around $4500+ for the rims no tires. $1800 in nice shape used you should be all over them if you want 19's.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #23

^^^^
Are they the 997 Carrera s style wheels? That's the other one I was considering
Looks great

dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote