Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

How much more labor to reach IMS after transmission is pulled?

So my local shop is going to pull the tranny out due to a leak and I'm sending it over to the guys at Motor Meister for a "dealer repair". Since the tranny is out, about how much more hours of labor is required to reach and inspect the IMS bearing? Is this a good time to access it?

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

It's a good time to stop it from going to motor sheisters as soon as possible...And yes a great time to change the IMS. Better google MM and do a search here too.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

yeesh.. i didn't know. Any recommendations for shops that can repair a cracked tranny case?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

You might want to send Jake Raby a PM, he'd know whether the intended repair would be robust. If it were me, I'd source a used one and have the local indy swap it. You might also check the local scene, if it can be repaired it doesn't necessarily need to be a Porsche enthusiast who does it, just someone who does that kind of work for a living.

PS If you are not too fussy and just want to end the leak maybe something like this would work, I read in Excellence where it was great for fuel tanks how is it on tranny oil leaks? uncertain..

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/etronics/etronicsseal/etronics_aas_1ptov.asp

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

I think I'm going to try GBox or California Motorsports. We did initially apply jb-weld to the case and it held for a while, but looks like it is developing a slow leak now. I want a more long term solution. I'm not really sure how to find local shops that can perform this job. Anyone know any shops in the bay area?

Also, any ideas how many additional hours the ims replacement is going to take when the tranny is removed?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

After the tranny is removed, the IMS bearing will be staring you in the face and should only take a few hours to replace.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

There is a very good tutorial on IMS replacement at the pelican parts site. How long it will take truly depends on your skill and what occurs once you tear into it. With the transmission already out, in a perfect world one would think you could get the IMS changed in a day. As for the case, need more information on why it's leaking, is it cracked? I don't know if it's aluminum maybe someone else does, if it is what I'm saying is maybe someone local could use a heliarc welder and drop a bead where the JB weld is. According to the guy in excellence, only the dow corning RTV held as a permanent solution regarding the use of a non weld solution.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpec818 View Post
yeesh.. i didn't know. Any recommendations for shops that can repair a cracked tranny case?
How did the tranny get the crack ? Where is the crack located ?
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

I was changing the tranny fluid and overtorqued the drain bolt. It created several hairline fractures stemming from the drain bolt area. Fluid started dripping out after the fiasco.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
A definite NO to Motor Sheister doing any work for you. Who is that guy in the Bay area that does all the racing cage work? Tony? If he can't fix it he will know who can.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Its two hours to replace the ims, the LN Engineering Retrofit Kit has a stronger bearing. If you car rattles on start up install new chain tensioners.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Its two hours to replace the ims, the LN Engineering Retrofit Kit has a stronger bearing. If you car rattles on start up install new chain tensioners.

Two hours from the time your tranny is dropped?

And thanks for the info regarding motor meisters, fellas. I'm going to look for a local welder to see if they can fix this.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpec818 View Post
Two hours from the time your tranny is dropped?

And thanks for the info regarding motor meisters, fellas. I'm going to look for a local welder to see if they can fix this.
According to Wayne R. Dempsey in his 101 project book. And I agree with him if you run into no problems.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Follow the LN Engineering directions and not Wayne. The engine need to be TDC so there is less chance of slipping timing chain. Wayne has you lock the timing with set screws and you can move the press fit gear on the ims shaft (bad).

Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
pk2

if in case you your cracks are not bad enough to ooze heavygear oil as you think, you may have stripped the threads in which case, get a expanding rubber wine stopper with a lever. Worked for years for me with a 928.

Regards, PK
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Ex Esso kid

It's not a bad idea yet I'd be leery it might drop out on the highway and destroy the engine before one could react. Perhaps I'm missing something here but if it's stripped I would find a slightly larger bolt and simply use a tap to cut new threads.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
It's not a bad idea yet I'd be leery it might drop out on the highway and destroy the engine before one could react. Perhaps I'm missing something here but if it's stripped I would find a slightly larger bolt and simply use a tap to cut new threads.
Hundred reasons not to worry, Get back as to why (my detailed message just disappeared.)

If you insist though, Got a good, xtra 5spd 60k if interested...PM.

Regards, PK
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
pk2

To elaborate, you can do whatever your comfortable with. Just the facts though, you won't blow out one of those stoppers. They're plenty snug. Their PSI versus your crank or gear box PSI doesn't compare. Besides, your already practically talking a new trans. If it did blow-out, you'd be no worse off than you are now.

I drove a 928 v8 around with one in the crank case for 60k, drove it pretty hard to, no probs. They even sell them now at big-box autoparts.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 11-30-2012 at 09:12 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #19

Ok, so we decided to do a semi-major overhaul since we had the tranny out and ordered the IMS retrofit kit for LN engineering, a new clutch kit, redo the rear main seal (it was seeping oil but not leaking), and replace the valve cover gasket.

Now, I'm still back at my original problem. I brought the tranny to Norman's Performance to Berkeley and they said he wants the tranny disassembled and wants to work from the inside. I'm not sure if disassembling it will be cost effective as I understand it is very labor intensive. Does anyone else have any recommendations on shops that can fix this- preferably local to the Bay Area? I tried Jake Raby and he doesn't do tranny work, and GBox who mentioned that it will not be cost effective shipping a heavy tranny to do a simple weld job.

Attached are a few pics. Initially, we applied jb weld and it stopped the leak for about 1/2 year. Now it is every so lightly leaking again. The jb weld can be scraped off.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #20

You cannot simply try and weld this from the outside, it needs to be disassembled and cleaned first to do it properly.

Is this a five or six speed box?