Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Boxster S shifting problem

Hi,
I have read a lot of threads about Boxster Gearbox/shifting problem but I can´t find my problem.
I have change the oil at Porsche Center in Sweden.
Regardless if the engine is cold or warm I have problem to shift to 3:d, 4:th, 5:th and 6:th and reversed gear. When I have done it once it works perfect. I can leave the car for about two hours and there is no problem but if I leave it over the night the problem is back.
I have read all about the cable problem, the syncro problem, coins in the console and soon I will have an MBA in Boxster gearbox problem whit out finding mine.

Please help, any suggestion ?
BR
Bjuris
Porsche Boxster S 2001

Bjuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

Are the tranny and motor mount original?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Prior to the gear oil service, you were fine? Maybe the Porsche Center in Sweden put the wrong gear oil in your car.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

What exactly is the shifting problem that you have? Grinding, won't go into gear?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
Can you find the gears? Does it fell like there is nothing engaging? Have you installed a Short Shift Kit and didn't get the cable centered or is it at the other end of the cable?

Check where it goes into the tranny. Friend of min had that problem and he only had the lower gears like you describe. It turned out to be the route the cable took at the tranny.

Let us know…we are here to help! We live for this, just don't like to pay for it!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, check where the cable attaches to the shaft that goes into the trans. The shaft retaining nut had come loose on my car and the shaft was slowly backing out which changed the alignment of the shifting mechanism inside the transmission.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, check where the cable attaches to the shaft that goes into the trans. The shaft retaining nut had come loose on my car and the shaft was slowly backing out which changed the alignment of the shifting mechanism inside the transmission.
Happened to me. Funny story, I was driving on the highway and pulled over next to a sign that said "Maintain your Vehicle". Managed to limp back to homeboy's garage and we found out the problem.

Since you described this problem after you got your transmission oil serviced, occam's razor dictates that is the most likely culprit. Maybe they put in wrong oil or did something wrong? Hey, it happens- even at Porsche dealers.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Have you changed out the gearbox filter?
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #9

Dealerships DO screw up. The engine in my 1999 Miata self-destructed due to an engine assembly fault at only 4400 miles. After waiting six weeks for a replacement engine (which were curiously in short supply!), the Mazda dealership installed a new engine, which necessitated draining the gearbox. The guy who did the work had recently come from a Honda dealership, where ATF is commonly used in manual gearboxes, their being designed to use it, I guess. Sure enough, he fills up my five-speed with ATF. I noticed a high-pitched gear whine right away and brought it back.

So in addition to a new engine, I also got a clutch AND gearbox out of the deal.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

is your trans automatic? if so, disregard the following.

maybe something in the cable attachment or the mixer at the transmission has come loose.
does your car have 3rd party short shifter?
I believe both the 5 & 6 speed transmissions are by-design, spring loaded left-to-right for 3rd and 4th gear slot. so when the shifter is placed in the neutral position and pushed forward, it should engage 3rd/

Last edited by sb01box; 08-31-2013 at 04:59 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote