Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

Audi TT Roadster Convertible

I need to buy anohter car for my wife and daughter to drive and myself occasionally if/when I need to do some work on my Boxster. I've been looking at 2000~2003 Audi TT Roaqdsters (1.8 L Turbo). Anyone have any experiance with these? Know anything about their reliability and fun factor?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
We have an engineer who drives from Idaho to Washington every week to work at our lab. He is putting 300 miles each way and swears that the car is fantastic on the road and comfortable beyond belief. He is a tad over 6' and ~200lbs. He has done this for the last two years.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

The coupes look better ...
Great little car .

Not without their problems ... On a parr with a boxster really , so expect to be sharing the garage
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Honda Accord Coupe V6.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Ducati panegale .
You get to use the carpool lane too ...

But that wasn't really the question .
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Garage
I had a 2000 Quattro TT prior to my boxster. Nothing but good things to say about it. Very reliable, fun to drive and great in weather.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

Well, actually I am considering the coupe too as my daughter had one "condition" for a car. Had to seat 4. I see the coupe can seat 4, but realistically only if they have very very small legs. Still it does meet her requirements.

And thanks for the other suggestions. I'm not fixated on the Audi TT, but just thought it looked like a fun car to drive. Not that I'd expect to choose it over the Boxster too often, but at least want to get a car that I'd like to drive when I needed to.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

I tried one at the same time I was considering the Boxster. No comparison. And the turbo lag really turned me off.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

The fun version of that car is the 3.2L V6 Quattro. No idea if it was available is a roadster. Much better than the 1.8T and I would say about as quick as my base Boxster. I know because my 80+ mother has had one since 2005. She has gotten out of a lot of well deserved tickets because of her advanced age and sweet demeanor.

Yes the rear seats are only meant for small legs. An adult can sit reasonably comfortably behind the passenger seat if its pulled most of the way up. No chance behind the driver unless they are <<5'.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #10

The big thing with TTs of this vintage are the timing belts. They have to be changed every 60K mi or you risk expensive head work when it breaks and bends valves. Be sure to get documentation on when the last time it was changed or assume you have a $700 expense to immediately attend to. They also have issues with the info center in the center of the dash losing pixels. There are companies that fix them for $300. The MK1 (2000-2006) also has little niggling issues, kind of like a 986. I've owned an 01 coupe and 02 roadster (both 225 versions) that I bought to resell. I currently have a '10 TT roadter that I'm flipping. Fun cars to be sure.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #11

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Marty S
Say what you want, other than the Quattro drive the TT is now where close to being in the same league as the Boxster. I owned an 03 TT Quattro brand new for several years. It wasn't but a few days into owning it did I quickly figure out. I bought the wrong car.

Don't get me wrong, the TT is a gorgeous design but that simply cannot make up for the superior driving capability of the Boxster. I sold the TT many years ago and really have not missed it. A few months ago, I bought a 99 Boxster which is four years older than my old TT would be today. I have lost count telling my wife, this was the car we should of bought. Even with a 14 year old Boxster, it still handles better than what I remember of my TT
2102 Fiat 500 Sport
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Marty S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #12

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a car war here. Just looking for a second car and something for my wife and daughter to drive. She's got to start on something and I'd rather it not be my Boxster.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #13

The answer is simple: a 2nd Boxster.

Better the devil you know...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Porsche "Purist"

Garage

My wife had a bright red new 2003 225 TT Quattro. Nice car, back then it was a chick magnet, every place we took it 20 year old women were fascinated with it.

Unlimited understeer drove me nuts. Lots of fun in the winter.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 08-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
The answer is simple: a 2nd Boxster.
You know, I did think of that! But I thought maybe something different. I have considered a 944, but if I do that I really wanted to get the 944 Turbo.

I may have to really think about this. I do need to get a car one way or the other question is ... a nice car for me now and something my wife & daughter can use too if needed. Then buy a less expensive car for my daughter inside a year. Or something cheap as a first car now and something nicer for me later.

AAA has a nice deal for people learning to drive. No premium at all until they get their license. So, my dughter could drive anything now with no insurance hike. Later, the cheaper the car the less expensice the insurance premium, but I still want to get her something safe.

I found a 1984 Saturn with 18K miles on it for $3800. But the ad was deleted on Craigslist before my wife could call on it. I was at work so asked her to do it.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #16

Had 2 Audis. Nothing but trouble with both. First one had lots of electrical issues. Second one burned in the driveway after a dealer delivered it to us. I chose not to keep it ! 2 friends had Audis; both had problems. I don't trust their quality control.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #17

With in car Iphones, Ipads, lipstick application, music, video, friend distractions, blind spots etc with a new driver, I'd say an accident is guaranteed withing the first few years, be it a misjudged curb, turning wheel too wide when backing out or something more serious.

With that in mind, i'd go cheap and then save for the 944 turbo as a second car in a few years once the experience level has built up a bit, and then take her to the Performance Driving School to further experience her in the ways of a Porsche.

She will be home until she's at least 26 now that Uncle Obama has told insurance companies that parents can keep their kids on their health insurance till 26 instead of 21, so the PDS will be a good investment for you.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #18

Well, tomorrow I'm gong to look at another Audi TT. The first was a base I looked at today and they wanted too much money without proof of maintenance. Seems they never even heard of changing the timeing belt and it had 150,000 miles on it so I walked. Tomorrow's is a 225 HP model and we'll see what that is like. Plus we'll be looking at two or three Mercedes SLKs.

My daughter already knows this car is just a loaner while she gets her license. Once she has it, she'll be buying another car. And this one - what ever it is - will go toward a trade for a porsche of some type. Unless my wife keeps it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #19

Ahh, quick change of plans. Browsing before bed and found a 1985 944 with 40K on the odometer. Going to check it out tommorow. Myabe I'll get my daughter a truck!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #20

I built this one a couple of years ago and sold it to a guy I work with about a year ago on the understanding I get first offer when he sells ...
At last months union meeting he asked if I was interested .
I can point you in his direction if you like ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Off topic , but here are some pics of one I built a couple of years ago .