986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster S shifting problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37909-boxster-s-shifting-problem.html)

Bjuris 10-31-2012 01:31 PM

Boxster S shifting problem

Hi,
I have read a lot of threads about Boxster Gearbox/shifting problem but I can´t find my problem.
I have change the oil at Porsche Center in Sweden.
Regardless if the engine is cold or warm I have problem to shift to 3:d, 4:th, 5:th and 6:th and reversed gear. When I have done it once it works perfect. I can leave the car for about two hours and there is no problem but if I leave it over the night the problem is back.
I have read all about the cable problem, the syncro problem, coins in the console and soon I will have an MBA :) in Boxster gearbox problem whit out finding mine.

Please help, any suggestion ?
BR
Bjuris
Porsche Boxster S 2001
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1351719048.jpg

shadrach74 10-31-2012 02:26 PM

Are the tranny and motor mount original?

Flavor 987S 10-31-2012 02:36 PM

Prior to the gear oil service, you were fine? Maybe the Porsche Center in Sweden put the wrong gear oil in your car.

san rensho 10-31-2012 03:28 PM

What exactly is the shifting problem that you have? Grinding, won't go into gear?

Homeboy981 10-31-2012 03:35 PM

Can you find the gears? Does it fell like there is nothing engaging? Have you installed a Short Shift Kit and didn't get the cable centered or is it at the other end of the cable?

Check where it goes into the tranny. Friend of min had that problem and he only had the lower gears like you describe. It turned out to be the route the cable took at the tranny.

Let us know…we are here to help! We live for this, just don't like to pay for it! :eek:

thstone 11-01-2012 11:59 AM

Yes, check where the cable attaches to the shaft that goes into the trans. The shaft retaining nut had come loose on my car and the shaft was slowly backing out which changed the alignment of the shifting mechanism inside the transmission.

Kenny Boxster 11-01-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 311429)
Yes, check where the cable attaches to the shaft that goes into the trans. The shaft retaining nut had come loose on my car and the shaft was slowly backing out which changed the alignment of the shifting mechanism inside the transmission.

Happened to me. Funny story, I was driving on the highway and pulled over next to a sign that said "Maintain your Vehicle". Managed to limp back to homeboy's garage and we found out the problem.

Since you described this problem after you got your transmission oil serviced, occam's razor dictates that is the most likely culprit. Maybe they put in wrong oil or did something wrong? Hey, it happens- even at Porsche dealers.

Mikelove 08-31-2013 08:29 AM

Have you changed out the gearbox filter?

Auf los! 08-31-2013 02:45 PM

Dealerships DO screw up. The engine in my 1999 Miata self-destructed due to an engine assembly fault at only 4400 miles. After waiting six weeks for a replacement engine (which were curiously in short supply!), the Mazda dealership installed a new engine, which necessitated draining the gearbox. The guy who did the work had recently come from a Honda dealership, where ATF is commonly used in manual gearboxes, their being designed to use it, I guess. Sure enough, he fills up my five-speed with ATF. I noticed a high-pitched gear whine right away and brought it back.

So in addition to a new engine, I also got a clutch AND gearbox out of the deal.

sb01box 08-31-2013 04:53 PM

is your trans automatic? if so, disregard the following.

maybe something in the cable attachment or the mixer at the transmission has come loose.
does your car have 3rd party short shifter?
I believe both the 5 & 6 speed transmissions are by-design, spring loaded left-to-right for 3rd and 4th gear slot. so when the shifter is placed in the neutral position and pushed forward, it should engage 3rd/