Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #1

windows not sealing with top

Greetings all. I really need some help on this one. I removed the top with the frame on my wife's 2002 Boxster (everything was aligned and worked perfectly before I removed the top and frame from the car. 6 bolts and 2 screws) to have a shop sew in a new rear window. They had to remove the top from the frame to do the work. The owner said he had done this for Boxster owners before and that having the top and frame off the car was better because he doesn't have a good place to park the car overnight. They did a fantastic job on the window and reassembly...I think. Everything looks perfect.

Here's the problem. Once I reinstalled the top assembly, when I latch the top in place, the windows roll up, but are hitting the front of the frame and rolling back down. Basically, the safety feature is engaging because something is out of alignment. It almost looks like the front side weatherstripping is pushed out too far, but I checked it's placement and it's in the channel in the top frame.

When I pulled the top off the car, I left it just as it was. I didn't close the clamshell, didn't hit the button, didn't even get near the car because I didn't want to mess up the timing, etc.
I need some serious help trying to figure out what happened to create the misalignment. Unfortunately, it's really inconvenient for me to get the car to the place that did the work, so I'm trying to fix this issue myself.

Please no responses about microswitches being bad. That's not the issue. It's a window hitting the top issue. I can't see how removing this could have changed any of the alignment.
I have posted a couple pics of the driver's side. I'm hoping that is something blatantly obvious to one of you.

ajvot71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

I don't know the tolerances involved. Hence my question. If you operate the windows one by one from the center console, do both the passenger and the driver side windows bump into the frame as you describe in you post? If the passenger's side works cleanly, perhaps the top and its frame is slighted off center. Not sure how this could happen, but it's just a thought to consider.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

in the second pic it looks like the top is misaligned somehow. have you tried activating the top? does it work correctly?
Mighty Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

They both seem to be operating about the same from side to side. I have checked the fit of the top against the windshield frame and it appears to be centered. Does anyone know if the front edge of the roof should be flush with the windshield frame, or if it sits just below it? Mine sits below now, but I see to remember it being slightly higher. Unfortunately, it's one of those things you just don't notice from day to day.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #5

Mighty....
Yes, the top seems to be operating fine, just not lining up with the windows. I do agree that it appears to have a slight alignment issue, but not sure what could cause it. The weatherstripping from the front and rear don't line up exactly, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. It looks like they can only go into the frame a certain way.

Last edited by ajvot71; 10-31-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

I'm wondering if it's not just like 1/4" off from where it's correctly mounted. with something as "flexible" as the top, you'd think there are multiple adjustments to ensure correct mounting and alignment. Seems to me like it's slightly off. I'm talking about the top assembly in and of itself, rather than the weather stripping. I seem to recall my Boxster's top flush with the top of the windscreen. However, I don't have access to it to check until Friday. But considering it looks like the top is not fully closing (your second picture. looks like the 2 black window frame pieces, not the seal, have too much of a gap between them. I feel like it should have tighter tolerances), and the top is sunk below the windscreen, it seems like you should be able to move the entire assembly a quarter inch (or less) towards the rear of the car, and have everything line up.

That being said, I've NEVER looked at how the top mechanism is attached to the car, or is adjusted. this is all what I see happening in my mind...

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 10-31-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

You may be on to something Mighty. I just read a post that describes having someone push the frame down with the 6 mounting bolt loosened, then tightening them while they're pushing down. Like you, I'm sure it wouldn't take much.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
ajvot71:
I took a couple pic's of mine if that helps.
T
Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  75.3 KB
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #9

Thanks Tony. That does help. I can see that your front and b-pillar weatherstrips are much more in line than mine. Now to figure out why.... I'm starting to think something got bent when the frame was off the car.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

AJvot71:

It may be something more simple and fixable than a bent frame.

There is a tension cable in the convertible top assembly. My guess is that it is too tight to let the top fully extend when closing. From your photos, it appears that it is closing about 95% of the way leaving the front of the frame too low for the windrows to fully close. Compare to pictures from my top. Also, Here's a link to a DYI set of instructions that may be helpful.

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #11

Thom. What you wrote makes sense. Do you think it is the cables in the back of the top (disconnected for service mode)? Thanks for the link by the way. I think I've read it and every other DIY on the internet trying to figure this out. Unfortunately, none really detail that portion of the top, other than to show you how to remove the weatherstrip and bracket to remove the top.

Here's what I'm going to try, based upon the responses so far....
1. adjust the tension cables
if that doesn't work....
2. pull off the front/side weather stripping to see if the problem still exists without it (also check for binding, obstruction, etc)

Please feel free to give more suggestions. I'll post what I find this evening, once all of the ghosts, goblins, superheros, and princesses have made their way back home.

Thanks to all for your input so far. GREATLY appreciated.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #12

When I swapped out my '01 top for the '03 with glass rear window, there was a little bit of play on the 6 frame mounting bolts down by the clamshell. Figure out which way it needs to move, get a second set of hands, and loosen the 6 bolts on both sides. Pull/push the top and maintain force in that direction while your helper tightens down the bolts again.

My initial install left a slight gap on the drivers side window weatherstripping, but is perfect after realignment.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #13

Still haven't figured out exactly what to adjust to get the front portion of the top to line up better with the second section when it's closed. The tension cables didn't make a difference, nor did loosening the 6 bolts and putting some pressure on the frame. I'm sure the key to this is figuring out why the front weatherstrip isn't aligning with the strip attached to the b-pillar.
Do any of you have lateral, side-to-side, play with the top? I seem to remember it being nice and tight (firm) before I removed it. Now its kinda of loose and has a couple inches of play at the front when its in service position.
I'm going to check the tension cable that attaches at the b-pillars tonight, to see if it is broken, etc. I'm not really sure how that effects the fit, but worth a try. I'm thinking that it helps control some of the side-to-side shifting of the top, but not positive.
If the tension cable is intact, then I'll be pulling off the front/side weatherstripping to see how the windows and top fit without it. I suppose there is a possibility that it wasn't installed correctly when they put the top back on and could be causing some binding issues.

A side question:
What's the easiest way to install the rubber into the rail on the side of the top? Lube and push it into the channel? None of the DYI write-ups details the re-installation of it.

Last edited by ajvot71; 11-01-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #14

Still not fitting properly. Got some movement by loosening the frame bolts, but not enough.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #15

Just an observation and "shooting from the hip"

you've mentioned that the top was removed and taken to the shop.
is it possible that without the car as a template, the shop did not align the canvas to the frame?
The canvas may be "pulling" on the frame and not allowing the proper seating of the pieces. this may account for no change when the cable and the mounting points are adjusted.

A quick look at the "flatness" of the plastic window may provide some clue.

I suspect that if the canvas is too tight, it will bow the top and push the sides out.

When I had my plastic window replaced. The dealer told me to keep the top up for two weeks and let the material settle down & adapt.

this was asked before, can you raise and lower the window using the window switch?
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #16

Thanks for the reply SB. Yes, the windows go up an down with the switches. I don't think it's an issue with the way the canvas was reinstalled. There's still a little bit of slack that can be taken up and the rear window doesn't appear to be 100% taught yet, but its really close. I got some adjustment last night. Now both sides are identical. Looks like the entire top should be moved about 3/8" forward. This would eliminate the window hitting the front edge if the frame and the b-pillar seal would be more in line.

Every one, please keep the suggestions coming and thank for all you've posted so far.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #17

Hey every one. I removed the rubber weatherstrip/gasket from the front/side of the top. The windows close perfectly.

The shop that did the rear window put the weatherseal tracks in backward. That caused the issue of the misaligned side and b-pillar seals. It also pushed the front side seal out too close to the edge of the frame. This caused the window to be pushed out, which would not allow it to sit inside the frame.

Thanks to all those who sent possible solutions. Another big thanks to those who have worked on their Boxsters and posted great instructions with pictures. I never would have noticed the difference in the tracks had it not been for one such write- up.

Last edited by ajvot71; 11-05-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #18

glad ya got it!