Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

New Front Bumper

So, some A-hole backed into my car and didn't leave a note. The first estimate is for $1,400 for the damage so I'm not positive if I will go through insurance to fix the damage. If I end up paying for it myself (I would have to pay $1000 deductible anyway) I was thinking about ordering an aftermarket GT3 front bumper to replace it and then just pay for the other repairs and have a professional install/paint it. Hopefully I can have insurance pay for some without my rates going up, but if not - does anyone have a recommendation of a good aftermarket front bumper to update the look of my boxster a little bit?
I have my eye on this one, but I would much prefer one that I know will fit perfectly

97-04 Boxster (986) GT-3 Look Front Bumper with Lip (will not fit turbo models)

Tmbcn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #2

Garage
There are numerous aftermarket companies that specialize in body kits and bumpers for the 986 boxster. However, quality, fit and finish can run the gamut. I helped forum member ProjectM96 put together a list of reputable companies that offer all kinds of different designs. By the way, it looks like you have more than just bumper damage going there .

Resources - FLAT6BOX

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-29-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

I live in Houston and have a factory silver painted bumper for sale for $150... Pick up only.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Here in San Diego there are MANY companies that'll come to you and repair that bumper. The last quote I got was for a Cayenne and it was $225-250 for small gouges and paint too. You could probably find places like this using Yelp as I did. Your damage looks very minor.

Good luck, sorry you're having to go through this
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Damm that sucks
Well a new bumper, even aftermarket, once its shipped, painted and installed will cost north of $1000. I'm getting a face lift now and im trying to stay shy of $2000
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Garage
TMBC, I think the best advice would be to buy Randall's bumper he offered to sell. You said you were worried about it fitting, and since it's factory it should be no problem. For $150 and maybe some gas, it's a steal. Sorry to hear about the bozo who hit your car man- I hope things get better for you.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
By the way, it looks like you have more than just bumper damage going there .

I strongly agree with Mr. Dangers assumption. It may be very possible that you also have a dented radiator or A/C condenser. It may have also bent the bracket that those two rest on.

However; as far as fit and finish for bumpers goes, there is one rule that I've learned the hard way "You get what you pay for"... Sadly if you buy a $500 bumper it probably will not fit as well as a $2000 bumper.

That being said, primed, Genuine Porsche front bumpers retail at $994.76. So at $700 the bumper you are looking at probably isn't terrible. But following Johnny's list could possibly save you tons of money in the long run.

I also can't stress enough that you should always test fit a bumper before you get it painted.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Agree on using a factory piece and making sure the damage does not go deeper. Do you park in that lot frequently? I'd be hunting the SOB that did the hit & run like an assassin on a contract hit.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Agree on using a factory piece and making sure the damage does not go deeper. Do you park in that lot frequently? I'd be hunting the SOB that did the hit & run like an assassin on a contract hit.

You're talking my language !
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Buy Randalls bumper..$150...spend $200 to have it repainted. Takes an hour to take one off. You are way ahead $$$. Then see if you can find the prick who bumped you. Then get even.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Still have it?

I am looking for a silver front and rear bumper for a 97 Boxster...let me know if you have this still...I may drive down...Thanks
Jeff
superjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
The Legend

This guy seems to be selling a used one in good condition
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #13

seems to be a bad link....goes nowhere when i click on it. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjeff View Post
I am looking for a silver front and rear bumper for a 97 Boxster...let me know if you have this still...I may drive down...Thanks
Jeff
I have a silver base front bumper I can sell for $100. I replaced mine with a 996 bumper. Only thing is I'm in Nor Cal. Not sure what shipping costs because I never shipped anything that big before. Pm me if interested and I can get you pics and more info.
bmfaze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #15

bmfaze....waiting for a call. Did you not get my PM? Let me know if you want to sell that bumper...pics would be great too.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
funny Tmbcn3 has not replied since posting...
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
funny Tmbcn3 has not replied since posting...
He only posted early this am...not counting him out yet...we shall see what happens. Hopefully I can find the parts I need here to fix my project....
Thanx,
Jeff
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #18

Hey, sorry I took so long to respond I have been dealing with insurance and looking for that guy! A friend of mine actually witnessed the event from a ways away and said it was a white/silver F-150 Platinum Supercrew.... Too bad I live in Texas and everyone has a F-150. I found like 3 the first day I knew to look, but of course, every truck has damage on every corner already.
So, got a second quote - $3,300 - went through insurance. By blaming an uninsured motorist the premium is only $250 so it will take a few years to make a difference and my car will look goood when it's done.
I should have gotten them to write me a check and bought one of y'alls bumpers, but I got lazy and insurance took care of everything right away.
I'll try to post pics when it's fixed up!
Tmbcn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #19

BMFAZE......HELLO....HELLo....HELlo....HEllo....He llo.....hello....ello....llo....lo...o....o.... still have that bumper or what? Give me a call. I need this ASAP.

Thanks,
Jeff
719-994-8387
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjeff View Post
BMFAZE......HELLO....HELLo....HELlo....HEllo....He llo.....hello....ello....llo....lo...o....o.... still have that bumper or what? Give me a call. I need this ASAP.

Thanks,
Jeff
719-994-8387
Why don't you check your PM?

bmfaze2 is offline   Reply With Quote