Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

Homecoming Queen

My daughter's friend will be in the homecoming court at her high school. Part of the ceremony is for each of the candidates for homecoming queen to be driven around the football field sitting on the back of a convertible. She asked my daughter to ask me if I could drive her in the Boxster.

I told her I would check into it. It looks like anyone sitting on the back of the Boxster would basically be sitting on the roof and perhaps part of the cover. I don't think these parts would be strong enough to support any substantial weight.

I'd like to help her out, but I don't want to cause any damage to the car. Does anyone have any suggestions? The best I can think of is to put some pillows on the passenger seat and elevate her a little.

Thanks

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Garage
Put the passenger seat forward, roof down and take the plastic window out of the middle and get her to sit between the two risers on the rollbar I wouldnt sit on the retracted top/cover or the trunk lid....
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

Garage
Let her sit up there, it'll be fine. Think about it, it will hold up to 170mph winds... And is designed to not kill you when the car rolls over. I'm sure a highschool girl sitting on it all folded up is not going to hurt it.

Feel free to go out and sit down on it yourself and feel how stable it is lol. Just make sure she doesn't kick the center console lid off lol. Or pop a seat with high heels :P
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #4

I have never seen anyone try to sit on the back of a 2 seater convertible. It's usually a 4/5 seater convertible where you can throw your legs down on top of the back seat.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

I was offered a chance to drive a retired professional Boxer back there in a parade to the Boxing hall of fame, gave em the old "thanks but no thanks".
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #6

DO IT! ...and post a pic for us. It will be the queen's memory forever. Plus, you could start something new, you never know?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

That was in the 986!! I'm not letting some bloated, punch drunk, has been, sit on the Aluminum rear deck, homey don't play dat. If someone else want's to I might be able to make that happen, my cousin knows the person who arranges the parade. I'm not certain if it's an annual event either, I don't remember one this year.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 10-10-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #8

Don't do it.

Pad and protect the front seat area. Clip in the seat belt. Get an old milk crate or the like to elevate her seating position. Top down, windows down. Make sure she know how to do the figure 8 wave. Drive slow, have fun! Post pictures.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #9

Would you let her sit on the aluminum rear deck? Might need a string to hold her down... if the wind is coming at the right angle ...

Last edited by ekam; 10-10-2012 at 04:58 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

I don't let people lean on the Escape, it's a bad habit and if you did it at my dad's shop you didn't do it twice.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd be cautious about having someone sit on the folded top. Most convertibles used for parades have the people sit on a hard metal surface, not the top itself.

The Boxster top doesn't seem to have any crossmember support between the windshield header and the middle flex joint which is right where the weight (butt) of the rider would be so the fabric itself would be carrying all of the load - which probably isn't a good idea.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #12

Garage
Hrmm would sitting on the roll bar be a better alternative? One has to wonder if the roll bar is supposed to hold the 2,760 pound car in the case of a rollover it could hold a small adult. I am thinking the metal bar where the wind deflector would go in.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would say either the roll bar or remove the passenger seat and let her stand and lean back against the firewall/roll bar.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

No.

Unless you're getting any action for it, no. Nobody sits in the car but you, the wife, the mistress, or MAYBE the kids.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #15

NO NO NO !!!! Our good friends asked if we would lend our Porsche to their son for his wedding. After weeks of no sleep I said "NO" . And guess what ?...... It rained and they got divorced after 5 months. AND , no "Thank You " note for the wedding gifts. NEVER EVER LEND YOUR PORSCHE, and you can take this advice " To the bank" MAX PS. OH ,I wrecked you Porsche, I hope your insurance will pay. Sorry, Mr. MAX. "Good day , Mr Max"
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Think about it, most of the weight will be on the roll bar between the risers. The frames themselves that support the fabric are plenty strong enough too. The only issue I see is her rear end will be planted firmly on the fabric, that would be my only concern, just put something sturdy over the fabric and supported by the frames that hold the fabric. Also she will have a small rear anyway to fit between the risers. See picture below, support the circle area.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Let her sit up there, it'll be fine. Think about it, it will hold up to 170mph winds... And is designed to not kill you when the car rolls over. I'm sure a highschool girl sitting on it all folded up is not going to hurt it.

Feel free to go out and sit down on it yourself and feel how stable it is lol. Just make sure she doesn't kick the center console lid off lol. Or pop a seat with high heels :P
My '99 was used for this exact purpose this past weekend.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

quote: And is designed to not kill you when the car rolls over.

Um that's what the bar is for, the folded top would be as effective as Willie Coyote's paper umbrella in a roll over.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #19

Garage
I've been asked over the years several times for homecoming and the local parades. I've always politely declined. I had a Z4 before the Boxster... same story. I had one school administrator call me and ask if I'd let a 16-17 yr old kid drive one of the homecoming candidates around and then return the car to me later. I actually laughed out loud before I was able to compose myself. She understood.... and said she still had to at least ask. I wouldn't do it.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #20

Remove the front trunk and have her stand in it.