Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #1

Smokey Start Up???

I've had my 986 for a couple of weeks now and have probably driven it around 20+ times every time I start the car I always look towards the back of the car and the other day I noticed a small puff of smoke come out of the Muffler it's only happened once and I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #2

Garage
If its only on start and goes away right away its most likely the Air Oil Seperator Unit... About $110 bux for a new one and about an hour work putting it in. But it's highly recommended you clean out your intake manifold and the cross pipe from the AOS to the intake because they are likely full of oil.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
If its only on start and goes away right away its most likely the Air Oil Seperator Unit... About $110 bux for a new one and about an hour work putting it in. But it's highly recommended you clean out your intake manifold and the cross pipe from the AOS to the intake because they are likely full of oil.
H
I don't have any mechanical experience is it a hard job to do?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #4

Garage
It's not hard to do if you have good mechanical skills and the right tools... but if you dont feel comfortable take it to a local guy you trust or maybe another Boxster owner in your area who's done one before.

To swap out the AOS unit:
-put roof in service position and open engine bay
-remove crossover breather pipe from AOS to intake manifold
-disconnect oil filler pipe and fold rear portion out of way
(do not move or jerk the front piece as you will break the mounting flange on the motor side)
-take a pair of spring clip pliers and undo the vent pipe entering the AOS from the right side of the car
-Now the hard part...
-undo the aluminum cover plate under the tranny (have to loosen the two big aluminum cross braces as well to get the cover off... once this cover is off its easier to gain access to the lower part of the AOS
-Once you have access, undo the two 10mm bolts in the lower portion of the AOS... and then use the spring clip pliers and undo the bottom rubber hose from the AOS
-Now simply remove the AOS via the top
-Replace the new one in reverse order BUT (to save you lots of grief)
-put the spring clamp on the lower rubber hose as far down as you can get it
-then put the new AOS unit in from the top and connect the side pipe... then get back underneath and work the lower spout into that short little rubber hose and make sure the clamp goes back securely.... then replace the two 10mm bolts and reseat the filler hose and breather hose from the AOS to the intake
-Re-assemble the bottom cover on the car and you should be good
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I parked on hill, and upon starting I got a puff of white smoke once. If it's not consistent every time you start it it may not be a problem.
These motors will do this once in a while.. If you have it happening all the time, then you may have a AOS problem..
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #6

Before you go replacing parts there is a quick simple check you might want to do to determine the health of your AOS. Pull off you oil filler cap. If you feel considerable vacuum resistance to removing the cap then the problem is most likely the AOS. If there is no vacuum or slight positive pressure then look elsewhere. Also, a failed AOS will generally produce lots of white smoke and it won't just be at start-up.

Having said that, a small puff of blue smoke at start-up is very common and normal with these cars, especially if it has been sitting for a while or was parked on an incline. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts getting much worse.

Cleaning your throttle body is something you might want to put on your regular maintenance list anyway. Expect to find things a bit dirty/oily in there if it has not been done for a while but, unless you find excessive amounts of oil in there, then this is also normal.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

The car is parked on a incline every night that must be the problem.
Thanks for the tips.