Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Ex Esso kid

Caution: watching may create nightmares

Another phenomenal commercial for doing your own repairs as much as possible.

Camaro abused by Best Chevrolet Easley, SC - YouTube

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #2

OMG !!! Almost the same thing happened to me in Morehead City last week with a brand new truck . Total Idiots !!! I did NOT take their BS and made them fix it. The next step would have been a 911 call to clean up the mess.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Unbelievable!!!!

Iphone has an app that makes your phone a sound activated recorder.

"Spy Bug" would be good for this sort of thing.

Those mechanics should be fired and the dealership black balled.

Consumers control which businesses live and die especially in this economy and its the dealerships responsibility to make sure they hire qualified and professional mechanics.

Consumers also dictate acceptable behavior not the CAC.

This one needs to go to a journalism school as a class project

Thats why I do all the work myself or take my cars only to trusted individuals for jobs to time consuming for me.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Wow...

Last edited by Chief; 10-07-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

Garage
Luckily I have never had anything like that happen to me, but then again I have never taken my vehicle to be serviced by anyone (I do everything myself). I do, however have a story, so listen up now children. Cause it's story time!

Friend bought a new M3 and took it in for an oil change. Something so simple as an oil change and they manage to strip the threads where the drain plug goes. My friend thinks they cross threaded the plug and used an air wrench without checking to see it went in properly. So, now there is a M3 with 5,000 miles that leaks oil.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

That is scary
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #8

I have a ScanGaugeII that is plugged into the boxster. Used to have it for a lot of other cars, one in particular that I had it in was my highly modified WRX a couple years ago. I took the car in for some recall warranty work (replacing the fuel lines under the intake manifold) and left the scangauge in the car.

Two days later when I came to pick up the car, I clicked through the settings, and found that the maximum RPM that day was redline, and the car was taken up to 85mph. When I went inside, I asked the service manager what techs did after they finished the work, "oh they take it down the street and back to check that everything is working". Asked what the speed limit was on the street, "30mph", took him outside and showed him the scanguage (basically a datalogger) and how it had been redlined and taken to 80+ mph.

He freaked out, immediately apologizing, telling me he would do whatever it took to take care of it and that he would be in touch. Few hours later I got a phone call saying that he had talked to the tech and asked if he had abused the car, telling him his job was on the line. The tech admitted to running the car hard, and was put on 2 weeks suspension without pay. I was given a few free oil changes, a professional detail of the car (turned out to be pretty damn good) and some free performance parts that they had (strut brace, transmission mount, etc.).

And honestly, it didn't bother me much that they beat the car, I did worse things to it (but took great care of it) but just annoyed me that I caught a dealer tech doing what dealer techs are known to do.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Too many of these stories, that is exactly why I am going to retrieve the parts for the Spyder vent and look at completing the job myself. Unless repair is going to involve getting under the dash, it's not going into the dealer. I never realized that Ferris Bueller gave auto techs across the nation bad ideas.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Amazing. We all are pretty sure that this kind of junk goes on, but its still amazing when you actually hear it or see it on a recording.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Internet to the rescue...
Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car, scheming to get damages paid for | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
This story is front page on Yahoo now!

Congrats on picking a winner...not the stealership, the story!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Dealership in Camaro-thrashing story buys back car from satisfied owner

Media story works on Camaro owner behalf
Dealership in Camaro-thrashing story buys back car from satisfied owner | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos