Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #21

Yeah...thanks. So nice to meet someone who's never made a dumb-ass mistake...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #22

Garage
Sorry bro...just pointing out the obvious.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #23

Garage
BTW, since oil is lighter than water and floats on top. Did you simply fill the reservoir with water until the oil came to the top and siphoned it out? That's how I would have done it.

Edit:

Ekam, this is a file photo. I have replaced my cap with the latest version...I think it's an -03 now? A good heads-up for those who have not updated theirs yet.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
It is confusing, yellow oil dipstick, yellow oil fill (see word "Oil")...blue cap for blue water?
You should replace that coolant cap with the new version...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #25

Quote:
BTW, since oil is lighter than water and floats on top. Did you simply fill the reservoir with water until the oil came to the top and siphoned it out? That's how this dumb ass would have done it.
Yes, did that several times, refilling with distilled water each time. After a few times there was very little oil residue remaining and it might have been ok but, as I had no intermix yet in the system itself, I decided not to risk it and remove the coolant tank for a thorough cleaning. Then, once I found out what a PITA it was R&R'ing the thing, I then decided on installing a new one as, based on what I've read of other people's experiences, it was due for replacement anyway. Might as well do the job at a time of my choosing rather than wait for it to crack on its own, which would undoubtedly happen when I was on a road trip hundreds of miles from home. I have ordered the upgraded cap and a new sensor also. One less thing to worry about.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #26

Glad to see you got it squared away.

Last edited by coreseller; 10-13-2012 at 01:09 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
Ex Esso kid

Could be worse, I once saw a boater fill his water system with gas. Even worse, I had a dive buddy, ready to do his giant stride into the Ocean with his manual BCD inflate valve in his mouth instead of his regulator. Oofa, that's the problem with guys who only dive at Club Med every five years.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #28

Okay, got 'er done. Gotta say it was much easier to put back together than it was to take it apart, although it still took about the same amount of time.

I was able to work from the top of the engine and the trunk so I didn't need to remove the brace and go in from underneath. The trick was to hook up the short hose stubs on the engine side to the manifold and tank first, then install the tank/manifold assembly, and then hook up the other end of the hose stubs to their engine-side lines where there was more room to work. That remote cable clamp tool was once again worth its weight in gold. The airlift vacuum tool is really nice to have also as you know for sure that you have no leaks or air in the system.

I've done a full cold to hot to cold cycle and there is no sign of intermix so it looks like I did indeed dodge the bullet. Thank you Pedro and Wayne for great how-to's with lots of pics.Thanks again to everyone, especially JFP, for their advice and encouragement.

Last edited by Brucelee; 10-07-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #29

Mark, I have removed your last comment. Let's play nice here, shall we?

Thanks

BL

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #30
Ex Esso kid

He was only goofing, (hence the emoticon) I have not seen any true hate feelings communicated on this site from one to another in all the time I've been here.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #31

Exactly. J gave me a well-deserved shot about my dumb mistake, which I assumed was made in good fun, and I took a shot back in the same spirit (hence, as Ghost pointed out, the smiley emoticon). I also took a shot back in J's thread about his oil leak (feel free to delete that too if it also offends your apparently delicate sensibilities).

My tone would have been very different were I taking this exchange seriously, kinda like the rather firm tone I'm taking with you now. In fact I would have probably sent him a wtf by pm if I was actually offended. So lighten up. Nobody asked for your censorship.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
My tone would have been very different were I taking this exchange seriously, kinda like the rather firm tone I'm taking with you now. In fact I would have probably sent him a wtf by pm if I was actually offended. So lighten up. Nobody asked for your censorship.

Er, lighten up Francis......you be picking on the boss.

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #33

Even those that consider themselves to be "the boss" need to be told when they overstep their bounds. J and I are big boys and we don't need the hall monitor stepping in because he took issue with our exchange, especially considering his interpretation was assumptive and inaccurate.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #34

Garage
I know we're both big boys Mark T, but calling me a name like that, in an open forum, went over the line. I'm the one that asked Bruce to intervene per this forums etiquette policy.

Maybe if we meet sometime you can say that to my face !

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #35
Tricolour

WE all make mistakes J. A little empathy would not have gone astray.
tricolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #36

I see. so you can take shots, but when you get one back you go crying to momma, is that it? Wow. You've sure earned my respect.

I obviously read this exchange completely wrong. I thought the whole thing was in fun, but apparently it was an serious attempt on your part to be an ass and you didn't like getting called on it. Maybe you should have thought of that before making your own intial post and starting this thing. It was completely uncalled for and added nothing worthwhile to the thread, which is why I thought it was in jest in the first place. Why would you go to that trouble (you even included a pic!)? What have I previously done to you that you would go out of your way to call me stupid, especially when my own post made it abundantly clear that I realized what an idiotic mistake I had made? If anyone has grounds to make a complaint here it is me. You went out of your way to make a mean-spirited post. I merely responded.

Rick - my apologies. I thought you just arbitrarily stepped in. It never crossed my mind that J had gone running to you in tears. I hope you gave him a glass of milk and a cookie and reassured him that the big kids wouldn't pick on him anymore.

J - as I said, I thought this was just banter and I had no intent to offend, although you apparently did. Next time you have a problem with someone maybe you might consider letting them know directly by post, pm, email, whatever (you know, the way men solve their issues). That would have gotten you a sincere apology. It's kinda funny that you make a comment like "say that to my face" while at the same time cowering behind Rick's apron.

Anyway, I'm done with this. I've seen things like this in many forums, but I sure never expected it here.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #37

Garage
This guy just can't keep his mouth shut.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #38

SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #39
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
This guy just can't keep his mouth shut.

It doesn't seem like you're making much headway on that quest your own self. He makes some fine points in his post, you could have just remained quiet about his misfortune and saved yourself this entire journey. Sniff sniff, I smell a locked thread on it's way.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 10-09-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
+1
this tread starting to look like a soap opera.
i'm kind of curious to know what Mark exactly said to blow everything up.
i missed that episode, and now its deleted from the VOD
dose someone know if i can order it on Netflix ?

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote