Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #1

Pressure Plate Removal Question?

Please remind me, why won't the pressure plate come off (easily) once all 6 bolts have been removed?

TIA

seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree View Post
Please remind me, why won't the pressure plate come off (easily) once all 6 bolts have been removed?

TIA
The pressure plate can be really hard to remove sometimes, especially if the car has never had clutch work done. First, spray the area liberally where the bolts were with a penetrating oil (I find pb blaster works best), let set 15 minutes or more. My pressure plate was actually rusted on! Get a flat headed screwdriver, wedge it between the pressure plate and clutch disc and use force to pry it. Start first from the bottom of the plate, then on the top, going on the sides last. Be careful not to scratch the flywheel while doing so, unless you are replacing the flywheel. I had to open up my engine compartment and get a step ladder to pry the plate off from above.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

OK, got it off.
Kenny was right, a little PB Blaster does help. But it's really helpful to pry where 3 locating dowel pin are. With my not so good eyesight, I wasn't seeing those at first. Just apply a tiny bit of penetrating oil to those pins and you should be good.

Now, for my next question:
The flywheel surface is very smooth; it passes the twist test; there seems to be no obvious problems; however, the friction surface is discolored. Is this normal, or does it warrant replacement?

If difficult to answer without visual aid, I'll post pictures later on today.

Regards
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #4

Garage
Hello again seventythree,

It would be unusual for the flywheel surface not to be discolored! I have seen flywheels that have less than 3,000 miles on them with bluish-purple-amber streaks on them. I cleaned off my flywheel some ultra fine sandpaper and sprayed it down with brake parts cleaner. The discoloration does not come off, and is normal. Technically if it passes the twist test then it should be fine. I reused my flywheel when I did my clutch and had no problems.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Hit the flywheel with a rotary polisher/sander with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Ok, after spending some time cleaning up the DMF, it turns out that I was partially wrong on the twist test.

The flywheel rotates less than 15mm in either direction, 13mm to be exact, before it meets much greater springy resistance. However, once let go, it doesn't return to that middle neutral position. How big of a deal is this?

Sure don't want to spend another $750 on a new flywheel unless it's really needed.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #7

If you have high miles and have been very aggressive on starts, I would recommend changing the flywheel. Usually a flywheel will have high and low spots and when you install a new disk and pressure plate you may end up with a chatter effect on starts. link for lower pricing.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/134-01089313.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=2000-2007+Porsche+Boxster+Flywheel+LUK+W0133-1647688+00-07+Porsche+Flywheel+2004+2001&fp=pp&gbm=a&gclid=COmC9qq807ICFQc4nAodbEAARA

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 09-26-2012 at 06:42 AM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Hit the flywheel with a rotary polisher/sander with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper.
+1
When I had my clutch replaced that is exactly what the shop did..
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree View Post
Ok, after spending some time cleaning up the DMF, it turns out that I was partially wrong on the twist test.

The flywheel rotates less than 15mm in either direction, 13mm to be exact, before it meets much greater springy resistance. However, once let go, it doesn't return to that middle neutral position. How big of a deal is this?

Sure don't want to spend another $750 on a new flywheel unless it's really needed.
How soon do you want to be taking out the transmission again? 10K miles, 20K miles?
You want the flywheel to last at least as long as the clutch, so if in doubt swap it out.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote