Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #6341

Garage
Nothing car has been at the Porsche dealer for 3 weeks and they dont know whats wrong with it .Boggey off idle .

gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #6342
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Installed my summer wheels this morning, and added two things to my to do list, clean up my rusty lug bolts and figure out why my 986 is dripping a small amount of coolant from the overflow over the right rear. I suspect it's because it's been over 100° F here and my 986 hates temps over 75° especially at 5,000', but I opened the purge value just in case there is any air in there.

Also, I have to give a shout out to Wheel Wax, kind of a pain to put on because it hardens so quickly, but my winter rims where filthy when I took them off and it only took about 5 minutes to wipe all of the brake dust off with a wet rag, depsite putting the wax on over two years ago. I will definitely be using it again.

I haven't been super active on this forum in the past year, but I still glance at it almost everyday. Due to the pandemic and work from home I only put 500 miles on the 986 last year, hoping to change that going forward!

Last edited by rick3000; 07-10-2021 at 08:28 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #6343

99 986 re-upholstery from Lseat

Did also mine last month just before it was used for our family friend daughter’s wedding get away car. It give me a reason to finally able to fixed my seats.
1st seat (passenger seat) took me almost a day with stop and go because of ways how to do it and the driver side probably less than half day. Just need more stretching or maybe if I have a time soon to use steamer and heat gun.
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #6344

more pics

more pics of the seats
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #6345

Garage
I put food on my indie’s table

My coolant tank was starting to leak after 20 years so rather than learn some new cuss words, I decided to pay to have it replaced. While there I had the water pump replaced, it was time, the engine mount also was shot after 20 years, and since I was already spending a bunch of money, I had them do the oil change and brake flush. He will be eating well for awhile

The engine mount made a huge difference in shifting, that was probably long overdue. I’ve had this Boxster for 9 years now and other than tires, brakes and oil, it hasn’t caused me any problems so I decided to splurge in my old age.

Speaking of tires, I’m due to replace those as well. I placed an order at my local Discount Tire for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s but the rears are on back order for possibly 90 days! Ugh. It is not urgent but…
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #6346

I bought some wheels

I got a nice deal on some 996 Light Alloy Carrera wheels on Facebook Marketplace. fronts are 18x8 and rears are 18x10. They were all plasti-dipped black and I spent an afternoon stripping that off. My shop is confirming what size spacers I need for the rear wheels, and I'm going to use them as my track wheels with some stickier street tires, something I can still drive back and forth to the track on. I'll save my Boxster Lt Alloy Carrera wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's for the street. THe wheels look pretty good as they are, but have some curb rash and I will probably get them refinished as well as have them checked for trueness.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #6347
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I put food on my indie’s table

My coolant tank was starting to leak after 20 years so rather than learn some new cuss words, I decided to pay to have it replaced. While there I had the water pump replaced, it was time, the engine mount also was shot after 20 years, and since I was already spending a bunch of money, I had them do the oil change and brake flush. He will be eating well for awhile

The engine mount made a huge difference in shifting, that was probably long overdue. I’ve had this Boxster for 9 years now and other than tires, brakes and oil, it hasn’t caused me any problems so I decided to splurge in my old age.

Speaking of tires, I’m due to replace those as well. I placed an order at my local Discount Tire for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s but the rears are on back order for possibly 90 days! Ugh. It is not urgent but…
Bruce, you won't regret it. If Zim's is doing the work, you'll have a well maintained Box. And with the mileage you've racked up (less than 100k), you'll have a great car to enjoy for many more years.

Cheers!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #6348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Bruce, you won't regret it. If Zim's is doing the work, you'll have a well maintained Box. And with the mileage you've racked up (less than 100k), you'll have a great car to enjoy for many more years.

Cheers!

TO
Yep, they do great work
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 07-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #6349

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I got a nice deal on some 996 Light Alloy Carrera wheels on Facebook Marketplace. fronts are 18x8 and rears are 18x10. They were all plasti-dipped black and I spent an afternoon stripping that off. My shop is confirming what size spacers I need for the rear wheels, and I'm going to use them as my track wheels with some stickier street tires, something I can still drive back and forth to the track on. I'll save my Boxster Lt Alloy Carrera wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's for the street. THe wheels look pretty good as they are, but have some curb rash and I will probably get them refinished as well as have them checked for trueness.

I've been looking for a set of these (also in 996 sizes) for a while. I'm about to buy a set on Ebay but they need some work. Can you post specs and pics of wheels, tires and spacers once you get them figure sorted out? Thanks
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #6350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to strip off that plastidip?
Old 07-24-2021, 04:30 AM   #6351
Seal1968

I recommend Goo Gone on plasti dip...wet it down, keep it wet (reapply) then elbow grease.

You will see it start to "curdle".

Lots of rags.

Tip...wear gloves lol.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #6352

Added something new to hold onto.

azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #6353

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
Added something new to hold onto.

Nice! Where did you get that?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #6354

Garage
Spent my weekend cleaning the car

I spent about 10hrs and did paint correction. It used to look great but up close under a light, the whole car has bad swirl marks and spider weds.
That's a job I hope I don't have to do again.
The car looks so amazing now and shines like a mirror.

It's pouring rain so only photos are in my messy garage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-25-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #6355

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Nice! Where did you get that?

Steering wheel remanufactured from Germany (all leather including base) from Ebay.

Airbag remanufactured by DCT in San Jose, Ca.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #6356

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
I spent about 10hrs and did paint correction. It used to look great but up close under a light, the whole car has bad swirl marks and spider weds.

It looks great I need to spend some time doing the same.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 07-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #6357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
I've been looking for a set of these (also in 996 sizes) for a while. I'm about to buy a set on Ebay but they need some work. Can you post specs and pics of wheels, tires and spacers once you get them figure sorted out? Thanks
My shop has them now. They are going to get checked for trueness, trued as necessary, have all the curb rash repaired and then they will be refinished in Porsche silver, or as close to it as possible, with powder coating.

The shop checked the rear wheels on my car and said I need a 20mm spacer on the rear. I won't need any spacer on the front. I am sticking with stock size Boxster tires, 225/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear. I also did some searching on this forum and 20mm seems to be the consensus for the rears. The fronts shouldn't need any spacers since the 996 and 986 have essentially the same front suspension and body.

These are genuine 996 BBS wheels, the fronts are 8 inches wide with a 50 offset, and the rears are 10 inches wide with a 65 offset.

I have ECS 20mm hub centric spacers and longer lug bolts ordered. ECS sells it as a complete kit and this was the lowest cost option I could find for the spacers plus lug bolts. The only hitch is that ECS has them on backorder and they won't ship until August 18. If my shop can find something else in that price range that they can get sooner, I may cancel the ECS order. My shop is going to mount the tires and make sure everything fits. Once I have it all done I'll post some pictures and confirm the spacers!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #6358

Some times ya win some (first pic), and sometimes you need to ask a kindergartner for help (second pic)

Old 07-27-2021, 04:16 AM   #6359

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post

I like it! Beautiful car! What tail lights are those? OEM red tail light kit?
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:19 AM   #6360

Finally insured it and took it for a rip. It drove flawlessly.

Need to get my AC charged up. It was hot.

Then I parallel parked it at a buddies house.......aaaaaaand curbed the rim a bit.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote