Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #6141

Fitted steering wheel hub extender today.. worth every penny...

I am 6"2 190 cm... I have bucket seats... driving position much improved now... however.. since I am tall I too have large hands/fingers... if it did not, then reaching the indicator stalk would have been a bit of a nuance..

Current
986 w 3.6l
F10 535i
Megane RS Cup RB08 track car
Polo Cup 1.8T race car
Audi R8 V8

Previous. 996, 997. 987S, 987 Cayman R, 944, 986 S, E36 M5, E46 M3, Ferrari 458, Vantage V8, XKR, and many many more...

Last edited by 72StormDk; 01-19-2021 at 05:19 AM.
72StormDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #6142

Garage
Not today, but over the long weekend. My 15yo son and I replaced the outer tie rod ends, rear drop links, track arms, and rear rotors and brakes. My son put in one of the break pads backwards by mistake and missed it when I checked it over. Made for a noisy test ride or two while we were trying to figure out the where the noise was coming from, compounded by the fact that the left rear made a similar noise due to a heat shield rubbing against the rotor.

Good times and all's well that ends well.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #6143

Garage
Fixed broken indicator stalk

Bought a used indicator unit on eBay to replace the broken stalk. I am new to this so it was a relatively easy starter project for me. One of the little plastic pieces was broken on the indicator stalk so you had to hold it when signaling to your right. When indicating left it would't cancel. Total cost was $80. Super happy with the result.
NUFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #6144

Installed 82mm title body with a 3.5" short ram cold air intake

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 03:22 AM   #6145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

I can't tell from the pics, but is there a opening cut out of the trunk to supply air? I'd imagine that with the trunk lid closed, the engine will starve.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #6146

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I can't tell from the pics, but is there a opening cut out of the trunk to supply air? I'd imagine that with the trunk lid closed, the engine will starve.
There are two vents toward the rear of the trunk that serve as expansion vents for when the trunk heats up. I removed them and they communicate with the underbody where the stock muffler lives, or in my case, used to live. They should be large enough but I can either enlarge them or knock out some of the floor popouts and cover with a louvered shield to prevent water entry. My exhaust is rerouted completely to the center so heat sink shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #6147

Quote:

Not to be negative, but one of those intakes is right next to the coolant tank. That coolant tank gets kinda warm; hence the heat shields that attach to the carpet that normally surrounds the tank.

Is this a "racecar"? Have you thought about gutting your tail lights (like dodge did with the headlights) for an intake option? Or removing the back bumper to pickup on some of the vacuum of air in the rear of the car and directing it into your intake?

I too am working on a "cold air" intake on my car. I sealed off the left side intake and cut a hole in the top of the tube so I can feed my intake ducting. That convoluted sentence is more clear in person, but it has served to lower intake temps a bit.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #6148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Not to be negative, but one of those intakes is right next to the coolant tank. That coolant tank gets kinda warm; hence the heat shields that attach to the carpet that normally surrounds the tank.

Is this a "racecar"? Have you thought about gutting your tail lights (like dodge did with the headlights) for an intake option? Or removing the back bumper to pickup on some of the vacuum of air in the rear of the car and directing it into your intake?

I too am working on a "cold air" intake on my car. I sealed off the left side intake and cut a hole in the top of the tube so I can feed my intake ducting. That convoluted sentence is more clear in person, but it has served to lower intake temps a bit.
You are right about the expansion tank getting warm. I used to put oatmeal and milk in a baggie, setup it in tip of the tank before leaving for work, and 20 min later I had oatmeal!

No, it's not a racer. It's my daily driver. This is a small part of what I'm calling my GTR (GT renegade) build - the end result will be a stripped down twin turbo that retains comfort creatures that define the Porsche brand. I'm trying to create what I would think porsche would do with this setup if they were really trying to maximize performance with this platform.

Anyway, there will be a lot more to go. I posted this part purely because I've never seen anyone mount an 82mm TB on our cars (regardless of engine displacement) so I just wanted to show that it can be done lol. Plus, our stock intake is a joke. The breather system in our cars is horribly undersized. I won't get into all the science about it and I know there are guys who will swear up and down that messing with intake and exhaust will kill ponies but I'm just not buying it.

The main reason I brought it through the trunk is for the TT setup that is down the road. If I wasn't doing that then I would have routed a single 3.5" intake along the passenger side of the bay and out the left port (after engine ground strap and oil fill tube have been relocated, SAI and engine bay fan deleted). You can even go so far as to mount scoops over the ports and create a ram air intake (think GT40). This is on my list as well as that is where I am going to mount heat exchangers for my intercoolers. Again though, down the road...

Old 01-25-2021, 05:20 AM   #6149

Could you give me a few pointers? i am new to porsche, came over from street bikes.
i have a 3.4 liter 987 plenum and 74mm tb. are these bolt on to m96 3.2 liter 986?

i am stumped how to repipe the 986 boxed air intake to the larger TB, and it seems fortunate timing y'all are also modifying recently.
new986owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #6150

My build thread is posted over in the DIY section. I doubt that a 74mm TB will bolt on to a 3.2 but it wouldn't be that difficult to do so (74mm = 3" which is what the stock intake pipes should be). If you do that though I would remove the spec airbox and fab a new CAI, the boxes on our system are very restrictive. As long as you don't change the MAF housing size you can do this without making any ECU upgrades, although a tune will be of help to get the most out of it. You can find a ton of info about this stuff on here.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #6151

Quote:
Originally Posted by new986owner View Post
Could you give me a few pointers? i am new to porsche, came over from street bikes.
i have a 3.4 liter 987 plenum and 74mm tb. are these bolt on to m96 3.2 liter 986?

i am stumped how to repipe the 986 boxed air intake to the larger TB, and it seems fortunate timing y'all are also modifying recently.
The generally accepted approach is to use the 987 airbox. This is a better design and was used on the 986 550 SE to increase the HP of that model. There are a couple threads on this board on how to modify a 987 airbox to fit the 986.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #6152

Garage
Listened to the exhaust note while my 18 year old son drove away so he can pick some sushi for dinner.
The tracker I got on him said the max speed was 90. Thank goodness he got home safe. That kid scares me sometimes. But he asked if he could use it and I couldn’t say no. He loves the car too and he works on it with me as well.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:13 AM   #6153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Listened to the exhaust note while my 18 year old son drove away so he can pick some sushi for dinner.
The tracker I got on him said the max speed was 90. Thank goodness he got home safe. That kid scares me sometimes. But he asked if he could use it and I couldn’t say no. He loves the car too and he works on it with me as well.
He was only trying to get the sushi back to you as fresh as possible!

Imagine if he knew he wasn't being tracked!
Old 01-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #6154

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
That day is coming soon for me. My son is 15yo. He rode with my wife on the way home from picking up my car and told that's what he wants lol! To my surprise, she told him yes. I had talked to her about it prior, but didn't think she'd be on board with it.

In any case, my son has already helped swap out some suspension pieces as well as rear rotors/brakes. He's eager to learn, which is awesome. The hope is if he has some "skin in the game" by doing repairs that he'll be a little easy on it. Still, hard to slow down when you have a free shot to the interstate lol!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #6155

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
That day is coming soon for me. My son is 15yo. He rode with my wife on the way home from picking up my car and told that's what he wants lol! To my surprise, she told him yes. I had talked to her about it prior, but didn't think she'd be on board with it.

In any case, my son has already helped swap out some suspension pieces as well as rear rotors/brakes. He's eager to learn, which is awesome. The hope is if he has some "skin in the game" by doing repairs that he'll be a little easy on it. Still, hard to slow down when you have a free shot to the interstate lol!
Rad, enjoy the time you have, it went by quick. Son is in college now, leaving for LA once COVID clears. I’ve been dragging him out to the garage so he learns at least how to change the oil in the car. He knows how to change pads for sure.

Piper, sushi was fresh for sure. He’s known he’s on a tracker, but he still does anyways, esp on the on ramps. He loves the sound, but wants to put a new louder exhaust on it
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:13 AM   #6156

Added new flooring and paint to garage for the box. Also new light up key holder. And had to put my kicks somewhere so why not near all my toys.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:48 AM   #6157

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
Added new flooring and paint to garage for the box. Also new light up key holder. And had to put my kicks somewhere so why not near all my toys.

That is a fantastic setup! Where did you get the floor mats?

Old 01-27-2021, 05:06 AM   #6158

Quote:
That is a fantastic setup! Where did you get the floor mats?

Thanks. I ordered them from bannerbuzz online. Just uploaded a pic and they made the hogmats. Quality is decent but not very thick to tell you the truth. The print looks good. Ok for my garage but definitely not for an actual shop that has tons of traffic etc... I ordered during Christmas when they had a 40% discount also so they came out to like $100 a Mat which isn't bad imo. I did have a design problem on the mats as the emblem was not centered initially (my fault) so I redesigned and bannerbuzz sent me the wrong mats first. We caught the design flaw but they shipped it out anyway. They then sent me the corrected mats free of charge. So I got four mats. Below is the final corrected and centered emblem design.

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #6159

Quote:

What?!? no pump ups??? Shame. LOL

Nice floor mat!

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #6160

Quote:

Looks Great! I'd have put all that cash towards a QuickJack or something mechanical. But hey, life would be boring if we all the same tastes/interests.