Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #5941
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
For me at least Crazy money to spend on a 986 but I can’t wait to break it in and turn it loose. Definitely should be near one of a kind.

Oh, you don’t have to talk to me about spending crazy money on a 986.......reupholstered seats, new top, both bumper covers resprayed, etc, etc, etc. and mine is only a 2.7, and one with 158,000 miles at that. LOL. The things we do for love!

Love the SE cars, and yours should be a 911 beater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #5942

Overthinking is what I do best!

Been mulling what tire sizes to get for my new-to-me Cayman S II 18" wheels to swap out my 17" wheels on a 2001 Base.

Just ordered these sizes:
215/45/18
245/40/18

They are .6" and .7" inches larger in diameter than my current tires. 25.7" is just inside the 3% rule.

Why did I choose these over the more accepted 225/255 setup? Well, going from 17s to 18s I liked the extra sidewall height. I also like the little longer gearing for high speed cruising. With the lighter wheel/tire combo in the rear maybe the torque loss due to gearing will even out.

Pics/Review to follow next week. Hopefully the rears will not hit the fender during high loads... we shall see!

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 09-04-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #5943

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Oh, you don’t have to talk to me about spending crazy money on a 986.......reupholstered seats, new top, both bumper covers resprayed, etc, etc, etc. and mine is only a 2.7, and one with 158,000 miles at that. LOL. The things we do for love!

Love the SE cars, and yours should be a 911 beater.
Thanks GRC! Looking forward to getting the car back in January. I’ll post some first impressions as soon as weather permits
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #5944

Quote:
For me at least Crazy money to spend on a 986 but I can’t wait to break it in and turn it loose. Definitely should be near one of a kind.
You're going to love it!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #5945

Quote:
You won’t regret it. Mine puts a smile on face every time.

Put new wheels/tires on today...
Attached Images

Last edited by PASSMORE; 09-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #5946

Took my motorbike on a Boxster road reconnaissance run.
Hwy 1 from Hope to Cache Creek is one nice nice run. It's gonna be fun in the Boxster next time.

Not sure if that counts for this thread though........
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #5947
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Spent a half a day on paint correction and sealant. Looks pretty spiffy!

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #5948

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Spent a half a day on paint correction and sealant. Looks pretty spiffy!

Time well spent, the car looks great!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #5949

Took it for a spin around my garage. LOL

Ah shhht I made myself sad. Still waiting for the machine shop to make my holes round and press in cam bearings yada yada.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #5950
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Went to a cars and coffee this morning with a turnout of close to 50 Porsche’s and 25 or so Italian and other exotics. The highlight was 3 (count em 3) GT3’s, a new Spyder, half a dozen 911 turbos of various vintages and a host of Ferrari’s. I’d like to upload som pic but I’m on an iPad and, you know.

PS One of the GT3 was an RS.

Last edited by paulofto; 09-12-2020 at 12:26 PM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #5951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Took it for a spin around my garage. LOL

Ah shhht I made myself sad. Still waiting for the machine shop to make my holes round and press in cam bearings yada yada.
That's a nice looking hardtop, Quindao!
Old 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #5952

Started the O2 sensor swaps. I'm doing all 4. They are seized in there pretty good. So ima gonna let them soak on PB Blaster overnight. The garage smells of persuasion and progress

Yes, I got the O2 sensors removal socket. Anyone got any other tips?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #5953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Started the O2 sensor swaps. I'm doing all 4. They are seized in there pretty good. So ima gonna let them soak on PB Blaster overnight. The garage smells of persuasion and progress

Yes, I got the O2 sensors removal socket. Anyone got any other tips?
The O2 sensor socket may flare out and round out the sensor if the sensor is really stuck. Cut the wires and use a deep-well socket or a 7/8" box wrench, if you have room. Use the O2 sensor socket when you install the new ones.

An impact helps or tap the wrench with a hammer to shock the threads. For extremely stubborn one use a torch to heat them up.

Use COPPER anti-seize on the new ones not silver.

Good luck.

Last edited by piper6909; 09-12-2020 at 06:46 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #5954

Inspected the my 2001 Boxster 2.7 after a good track day and found out that front brake calipers shows 'some' wear and needs attention.

Both images shows some concern on the brake piston boot... Circled the issue location with red.

What is opinion here, can I repair the brake pistons with new boots (and maybe brake pistons if needed to) or is there bigger issue to deal with (like machining work etc)?

I'd like to manage to keep these calipers if the repair is rather simple, but if there is larger issue to deal, I'll try to find used S-model brake calipers to replace these with.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #5955

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Inspected the my 2001 Boxster 2.7 after a good track day and found out that front brake calipers shows 'some' wear and needs attention.

Both images shows some concern on the brake piston boot... Circled the issue location with red.

What is opinion here, can I repair the brake pistons with new boots (and maybe brake pistons if needed to) or is there bigger issue to deal with (like machining work etc)?

I'd like to manage to keep these calipers if the repair is rather simple, but if there is larger issue to deal, I'll try to find used S-model brake calipers to replace these with.

I've tried re boring calipers, master, and slave cylinders... never really had much luck. they always seem to weep when I'm done. I havent even attempted to rebuild any in years, just get a new one.

Looks like you don't need any re-boring or replacement of pistons, just some boots. Thats easy, just buy some boots and put them on with a hook and pick. You could find Porsche parts but I'm sure this is not the only car to use these brakes (hint).

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #5956

I rebuilt my calipers. New seals and boots from Porsche (they were cheap). It wasnt difficult and have not had issues since. But I have not done track stuff with it. Just spirited driving. At that time I had 170k kms on the Odometer.

I needed to replace brake fluid anyways (had a close call with old fluid!). So that precipitated into a caliper rebuild just to be sure I covered all the bases. Try that 1st before you replace calipers etc. Good luck!

Last edited by Zzorro; 09-13-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #5957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
I've tried re boring calipers, master, and slave cylinders... never really had much luck. they always seem to weep when I'm done. I havent even attempted to rebuild any in years, just get a new one.

Looks like you don't need any re-boring or replacement of pistons, just some boots. Thats easy, just buy some boots and put them on with a hook and pick. You could find Porsche parts but I'm sure this is not the only car to use these brakes (hint).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
I rebuilt my calipers. New seals and boots from Porsche (they were cheap). It wasnt difficult and have not had issues since. But I have not done track stuff with it. Just spirited driving. At that time I had 170k kms on the Odometer.

I needed to replace brake fluid anyways (had a close call with old fluid!). So that precipitated into a caliper rebuild just to be sure I covered all the bases. Try that 1st before you replace calipers etc. Good luck!
Thank you both for a good advice.
I'll try to avoid the re-boring these as well (some 30 years ago have done it and it was not so good result as I hoped for...).
Current plan is to paint the calipers, flush the brake fluid, swap the new seals and boots during this upcoming winter the latest.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #5958

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Thank you both for a good advice.
I'll try to avoid the re-boring these as well (some 30 years ago have done it and it was not so good result as I hoped for...).
Current plan is to paint the calipers, flush the brake fluid, swap the new seals and boots during this upcoming winter the latest.
You'll know better once you're in there if new calipers are needed. If no water has migrated into the cylinder and there's not rust or pitting and it cleans up well, new seals and boots will be all you need.

You may have a little rust and pitting along the outer edge (outside of where the seal rides) and you'll still be ok. Just clean it off real good so you won't damage the new seal when you insert it.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #5959

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
You'll know better once you're in there if new calipers are needed. If no water has migrated into the cylinder and there's not rust or pitting and it cleans up well, new seals and boots will be all you need.

You may have a little rust and pitting along the outer edge (outside of where the seal rides) and you'll still be ok. Just clean it off real good so you won't damage the new seal when you insert it.
Great, thanks Piper fro detailed heads up. I'll report back when I get to open these after the driving for this season is done or some issues come up to force the car to be placed for sleep for the winter...
Old 09-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #5960
2004 Boxster

Painted my center caps, using the DIY on this forum. Looks great ! Took about two hours total, but had to take breaks...These things have lots of small details ! Did gold, red, then black touch-ups with a toothpick. Finished with 4 coats of glossy clear, applied 20 minutes apart.