Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #5581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Traco, you are facing a hell of a job..

Out of curiosity, are you going to start with a very small drill bit and then a larger one, combined with heat?

Good luck with the project
I know but I invested in a secret weapon. Figured it might be the best 350 bucks ever spent. I'll be taking it very slow but I prefer the do it once and do it right approach.

I'll be stepping up in sizes and hopefully not breaking a bit. Space looks tight on each end but we will find out soon enough.

https://www.stomskiracing.com/products/boxster-996-997-exhaust-bolt-repair-kit

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #5582
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Tie rod end

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #5583

Plated for this years driving season. First run on the new Replika r186s to get groceries. 275/35zr18s do raise the gearing a noticeable amount. No drag racer, but no more back in forth between 2nd and 3rd in slower speed limit areas. I was expecting a little worse NVH from going from 17 to 18” and if anything it rides better on the same tire. I was hoping the 75mph steering wheel shake that developed on the 17s was down to a bent rim, but it’s still there so will have to dig farther to find the culprit.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #5584

Broke out of isolation jail and washed it.Tried to get the spoiler to come up but thought the better and lifted.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #5585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
I've always had good luck mig welding a bolt onto the broken bolt and lots of penetrating lube. Tighten it just a tad before you try to loosen it.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #5586

Sunny day drive

The boxster is awake after its long winter nap so I took advantage of this warm and sunny day to take the long way home from work today. It was great fun following the curvy roads that run along the muddy Maumee River. A beautiful day for a drive!

Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #5587

Changed the oil and oil filter.
I have a magnetic oil plug and it has very small 'fur' kind of black material on the magnet as you can see on the first image. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
The plug's magnet cleaned off real shiny just by lightly wiping it with a towel.

Another image shows the cut out filter that is real clean. Thre was only one very small peace of black plastic kind of material - approximately a size of 0.5 x 0.5 mm.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #5588

Got my convertable top to work. Did a complete reconnection following the Porsche manual.

You can see a separate post for a video link to what was happening.

Pretty pleased with myself on a this one.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #5589
jcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Got my convertable top to work. Did a complete reconnection following the Porsche manual.
Excellent news!
If I may ask, where did you get the Porsche manual instructions?
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #5590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
Excellent news!
If I may ask, where did you get the Porsche manual instructions?
I downloaded it from a link I found on this forum a few years ago and shortly after I picked up this car.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #5591
jcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
I downloaded it from a link I found on this forum a few years ago and shortly after I picked up this car.
Ok, thanks.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #5592

Installed Uniwerks drop in/ "make it easy" shifter bundle. Very solid feel and will complement with Evoms v2 shift cable end at some point... 996 plenum and 74mm TB and custom cold air intake tomorrow weather depending!

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/make-it-easy-porsche-shift-bundle/
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:51 AM   #5593
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Said eff it (IT being the CV BS) and wife and I left home at 9A and went on a drive abandoning any social distancing suggestions, rules, regulations, and laws and drove 70 miles to the North Shore Beach and Yacht Club... stopped in... then cruised 20 miles further east to Bombay Beach... doubling back to the Yacht Club for her to enjoy a bottle of wine and 3.4 sushi rolls. Walked the beach where there were about 7 other people "practicing and exercising" social distancing. I believe we'll bring the 4 dogs next weekend, weathr permitting.

Headed back west on the 111 to the 86... to the 111 again hitting Aldi's in Palm Desert... finding what I've been looking for for weeks: Bread Yeast. Got a bread machine and like making my own pizza dough.

With the exception of a couple local store runs I hadn't been out of the house to "down the hill" for a couple of weeks. The drive along the 111 through Indio, La Quinta, Indian Wells, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, then Palm Springs and seeing all the closed business really was eye opening. But, you know... If just one life is saved.

Returned home around 4P. What a great day.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:45 AM   #5594
Seal1968

Fired her up for the first time this season and took her for a spirited run to clean out the cobwebs.

She ran like a champ- tires weren't as flat-spotted as I thought they'd be.

Re-attached/hooked that stupid plastic hook that holds the roof liner in place on the lifting arm.

Put her back in the garage as still too early here with all the sand and salt still on the roads.

Now getting ready to order my xenon kit for the headlight re-virginization project. (have burnt halogens)

Was thinking of getting the low beam Xenons like how the litronics are, retaining the high beam halogen to save extra wiring headaches.

Thoughts on that gents?
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #5595

A multi day project. Car runs really bad, multiple misfires (P0300 thru P0306.) Have replaced the plugs, coils, had the center manifolds off to check vacuum, WHAT'S LEFT?! It's been sitting about a year since it started misfiring. Just couldn't face it.

This week, siphoned out the 5 gallons of old gas. Put in 2 1/2 gallons of new premium. Still won't start. I replaced the fuel filter, it back flowed black gas. No gas flow from the feed line for the filter. Fuel pump isn't working. I jumped the relay connections, the fuel pump isn't working (it did work before all this.) I drained the gas, wiped out the tank of the last qt. of gas. I got some tank cleaner, water based. Mixed with about two gallons of tap water and dumped it in. I sloshed it around with a rag on a stick, fuel pump and sender out and on a table. It sat over night. Siphoned it out into a bucket. I used my shop vac to remove the residual water and then wiped it down with an old towel.

Yesterday, after letting it sit opened up for a couple of days, I installed the new fuel pump & the old sender tower. I put in a couple of gallons (the same ones used earlier) of premium, I'm planning on going out and getting 10 more so that the pump is submerged completely in gas. Then I'll jump the relay and see what's coming out at the input for the filter. That's where I am on the fuel system process. If it starts, it will be getting Techron for the foreseeable future.

I have a set of O2 sensors NIB to put in as well.

I have checked the fuse, btw. With an multimeter. It's the C4 fuse, btw.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #5596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Said eff it (IT being the CV BS) and wife and I left home at 9A and went on a drive abandoning any social distancing suggestions, rules, regulations, and laws and drove 70 miles to the North Shore Beach and Yacht Club... stopped in... then cruised 20 miles further east to Bombay Beach... doubling back to the Yacht Club for her to enjoy a bottle of wine and 3.4 sushi rolls. Walked the beach where there were about 7 other people "practicing and exercising" social distancing. I believe we'll bring the 4 dogs next weekend, weathr permitting.

Headed back west on the 111 to the 86... to the 111 again hitting Aldi's in Palm Desert... finding what I've been looking for for weeks: Bread Yeast. Got a bread machine and like making my own pizza dough.

With the exception of a couple local store runs I hadn't been out of the house to "down the hill" for a couple of weeks. The drive along the 111 through Indio, La Quinta, Indian Wells, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, then Palm Springs and seeing all the closed business really was eye opening. But, you know... If just one life is saved.

Returned home around 4P. What a great day.
Sounds like fun! Wish I was there. I've been driving the New Beetle convertible It's the 18t model. A really great southwest US example. (that said, it has had so many little things that broke, some of them crazy expensive.) Probably gonna load up my dog and go for a top down ride today. We're allowed in AZ. 80 degrees today!:ah:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #5597
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Sounds like fun! Wish I was there. I've been driving the New Beetle convertible It's the 18t model. A really great southwest US example. (that said, it has had so many little things that broke, some of them crazy expensive.) Probably gonna load up my dog and go for a top down ride today. We're allowed in AZ. 80 degrees today!:ah:
First... good luck with the Boxster. Sounds frustrating... but you'll bang it out.

Yeah! That top down with a dog ride! And... that 80 degrees? We enjoyed that yesterday... as where we live it's always 10-15 degrees cooler than "down the hill". Post a pic of the dog enjoying the ride. Love me dogs!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #5598
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Changed the oil and oil filter.
I have a magnetic oil plug and it has very small 'fur' kind of black material on the magnet as you can see on the first image. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
The black fur is pretty normal. Your filter looked clean, so nothing to worry about.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #5599

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
A multi day project. Car runs really bad, multiple misfires (P0300 thru P0306.) Have replaced the plugs, coils, had the center manifolds off to check vacuum, WHAT'S LEFT?! It's been sitting about a year since it started misfiring. Just couldn't face it.

This week, siphoned out the 5 gallons of old gas. Put in 2 1/2 gallons of new premium. Still won't start. I replaced the fuel filter, it back flowed black gas. No gas flow from the feed line for the filter. Fuel pump isn't working. I jumped the relay connections, the fuel pump isn't working (it did work before all this.) I drained the gas, wiped out the tank of the last qt. of gas. I got some tank cleaner, water based. Mixed with about two gallons of tap water and dumped it in. I sloshed it around with a rag on a stick, fuel pump and sender out and on a table. It sat over night. Siphoned it out into a bucket. I used my shop vac to remove the residual water and then wiped it down with an old towel.

Yesterday, after letting it sit opened up for a couple of days, I installed the new fuel pump & the old sender tower. I put in a couple of gallons (the same ones used earlier) of premium, I'm planning on going out and getting 10 more so that the pump is submerged completely in gas. Then I'll jump the relay and see what's coming out at the input for the filter. That's where I am on the fuel system process. If it starts, it will be getting Techron for the foreseeable future.

I have a set of O2 sensors NIB to put in as well.

I have checked the fuse, btw. With an multimeter. It's the C4 fuse, btw.
Hmmmmmmmm?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
The black fur is pretty normal. Your filter looked clean, so nothing to worry about.
Thanks Racer Boy!