Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #4921
Need For Speed

Garage
Had to put a new AOS in the car today.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #4922

Garage
Replaced the PS puke tube with a 3' tube
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #4923

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Found that my rear spoiler only moved up about an inch. Searching the forum I found the probable cause, disassembled the "system" and got lucky. Having anticipated a lack of teeth on the two gear racks, it was nice to see only a lack of grease - it had all been squeezed to the sides of each rack. After re-lubing the racks and the cable end internal slides (the grease on the slides was gritty).everything operates smoothly again. Really easy job.
morgal48, this post a while ago inspired me to take a look at my rear spoiler mechanism. My spoiler worked fine, except that it wouldn't retract the last 1/4 inch or so, but could be pushed all the way down. For me it wasn't an easy job. Everything came apart pretty easily, and the gear racks and internal slides needed cleaning and lubing. None of the gears were stripped.

Getting everything back together though, oh boy! Getting the springs on the slider ends back into the gear racks, and to stay put, was a bit of a challenge. Then I got it all together, put it on the floor of the trunk and tried it out. The rams went up fine but not down. Pushing the down button I could hear some click but no movement. So it took it apart again. The gears were very tightly jammed, making it difficult to disassemble. Between that and looking at the micro switches and the indentations on the bottom of the gear rack, I deduced that I may have installed the micro switches backwards. It's interesting to note that they can be installed two ways - correctly and incorrectly, they fit either way! So I switched them around and put it all back together again. Plugged it in on the trunk floor and voila! Everything now works as it should, the rams go up and down. Tomorrow I will button up the trunk and reinstall the spoiler.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #4924

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
One thing you can easily do is unsnap the bottom of the shift boot from the center console and have a look. You should be able to see that both circlips are in place and that there is no fore and aft movement of the shifter within the two cups. Assuming the circlips and cups are in place then maybe the locknuts have loosened, if that is the case I think you'll need to remove the console to get the allen wrench into the ends of the bolt section to tighten them. If the sloppyness is due to the blue ball part in the white plastic yoke on the side, then you need the part that Ben is currently testing in prototype to fix that or another plastic yoke that hasn't been worn from an aftermarket shifter.
Hi PaulE,

Thank you very much for the provided photo and info. Sorry for the super late reply.
The circlips seem to be in place and there is no fore or aft movement within the two cups. I will have to take the console apart to get a better visual, I'm thinking it might be the locknuts like you mentioned.

Did you happen to get your new bearings in ?
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #4925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Hi PaulE,

Thank you very much for the provided photo and info. Sorry for the super late reply.
The circlips seem to be in place and there is no fore or aft movement within the two cups. I will have to take the console apart to get a better visual, I'm thinking it might be the locknuts like you mentioned.

Did you happen to get your new bearings in ?
I got the bearings in and the shifter back together last weekend. I left the console out as I had to bring my car in to the shop for its 1500 mile post break-in oil change and checkup this past week, so I had them look over the cables and other adjustments to make sure everything was ok. This weekend I put the console back in so it's all buttoned up now.

If you have the shift boot off the console, you should be able to see if the lock nuts are loose or out of adjustment. If you can slide the shifter fore and aft within the cups, the lock nuts are out of adjustment. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #4926

Changed voltage regulator. ******************** to get the alternator back in. Next time the seats are coming out before I do this.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #4927
Racer Boy

I completed my project of water pump, thermostat, and brake lines replacement. I also flushed the coolant and brake fluid (the Motive Power Bleeder is an awesome tool, well worth the money). Along with all that I upgraded to an underdrive pully, the ROW Sport Package sway bars, Performance Friction brake pads, and a LN spin-on oil filter adaptor.

I should be ready for track day season now!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #4928

Hi, I’m new here. I picked up ‘99 Boxter a few weeks ago.

This weekend I installed 4” Crank Pulley and belt. I like it a lot, just a tad more umph in the lower RPM.

Also washed, polished and waxed. Very happy with my shiny car. Everyone is shocked when I say it’s 20 years old.
AlexQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #4929

Garage
It was actually on Sunday, but I went to the German Auto Fair at a local Porsche dealer and got directed to a premier parking spot, not bad for a 2002! There were a couple hundred cars and probably over 70% were Porsches. It was fun to see all the different years and models in 1 place.

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #4930

Garage
MN 986 - Very gorgeous looking boxster, still one of my favorites
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #4931

Taking to Mohawk trail in Massachusetts on Saturday. Should be a beautiful ride.
Last things, changed mats and shifter.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #4932
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Taking to Mohawk trail in Massachusetts on Saturday. Should be a beautiful ride.

Last things, changed mats and shifter.

Have fun. Suggest a short side trip into Shelburne Falls, a walk across the Bridge of Flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #4933

Garage
Installed front Coffin Arms and Wishbones plus front Rotors.
'56 356A
Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #4934

Garage
Drove up to Mt. Baldy to check out the front suspension job I did Monday and Tuesday.
'56 356A
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #4935

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Drove up to Mt. Baldy to check out the front suspension job I did Monday and Tuesday.
My ol' stomping grounds! I grew up in Upland, spent many hours on that road up the hill. Learned to drive on that road! The tunnels have my name on them.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #4936

Today I attended the NNJR PCA Car Control Clinic. I had a great time. A couple of spins on both the clockwise and counter clockwise wet skid pads. Our group got in 11 runs on the slalom. After missing cones in the U-turn at the midpoint on my first 2 runs I got the hang of it.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #4937

Dead battery.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #4938

Added to the List

Found the source of the coolant smell and the small drops on the garage floor behind the right rear tire:

Looks like the tank has a small crack on the underside and the coolant has been leaking through the rubber plug. Oh well, I was planning to replace the water pump and thermostat anyway.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #4939

Garage
Replaced the heater core and purged the cooling system. I finaly got tired of the sweet smell!
2022 Polestar 2 - Void… Black (Daily driver)
GustaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #4940

Prototiptronic? I did a test drive after installing my ghetto-rigged Momo Prototipo with paddle shifters hacked into the Tiptronic wiring.

I'll add some more pictures in my show-and-tell later, and maybe make a how-to.

Last edited by Nevergrowup; 05-13-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote