Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #4721

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi Ciao, it’s from a company called Mueller-Kueps. They’re in Germany and they make speciality automotive tools. Just google their name and you’ll find their website. They don’t sell directly to the public. I purchased through a vendor on eBay (Tooldom). I also purchased the M-K axle pusher for my axle replacement (received but haven’t used it yet).

For the bleeder, there are deep socket and shallow socket versions in 10 or 11mm. I purchased the deep socket 11mm version. The socket is hollow and it seems to be permanently attached to the reversible ratchet. It comes with a good quality bleeder hose (~1 meter length) that runs freely through the socket and ratchet.

I attached the bleeder hose to the clutch slave bleeder valve, attached the other end of the hose to my brake bleeder catch can, slid the ratchet/socket assembly onto the bleeder valve, made sure I had fluid and pressure in the Motive and let it rip. Standard operating procedure from that point forward. After bleeding, I just slid the ratchet/socket assembly down the hose and removed the hose from the valve.

I had also purchased a much less expensive ‘bleeder’ ratchet but it had a shallow socket that had a fixed grommet / hose assembly built into it and I did not like the way it barely fit and was difficult to remove from the bleeder valve (tested on a brake valve).

Just to mention that I had the braces, pan and midpipes removed, along with the axle disconnected from the trans axle, when I bled the clutch slave. Taking advantage of my axle / midpipe replacement project made for much easier access to the clutch slave.
Oldcarguy, those are innovative workarounds in tight spots e.g. clutch slave.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #4722
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Finished installing (color-coded) LEDs into the taillights and front turn signals. The 5008 bulbs for the rear markers (between the rear fog and brake light bulbs) did not work with the LEDs I got so just added new bulbs for now. A Novita EP35 relay keeps the signal flashing correct.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #4723

Looked at the calendar and discovered it's only 51 days until "Boxster Freedom Day" when I will take it out of storage. It was -8 this morning so it's hard to imagine that in only 51 days balmy breezes will be blowing and it will be time (hopefully) for another seven months of top down driving!

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Yeah, I'm an optimist
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #4724

Installed the new shifter cables and adjusted the shifter and the parking brake. Found a few more quarters hidden under the parking brake. Took the opportunity to install the newly painted white center console and it really makes a big difference on the interior.

Dave in TX
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #4725

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
Installed the new shifter cables and adjusted the shifter and the parking brake. Found a few more quarters hidden under the parking brake. Took the opportunity to install the newly painted white center console and it really makes a big difference on the interior.

Dave in TX
That color combination looks really nice
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #4726

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
That color combination looks really nice
Thanks. Matches the exterior of course and really happy with it.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #4727

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrg67 View Post
Thanks for the detail! Can't wait to see how the switch goes.
Rotary encoder does not work as a rotary switch. My '99 OBC is enabled, but I have the basic display, so am going with poor-man's tip switch version. I did run across a 4-wat toggle switch that I considered to mount into the left bezel hole:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HKD-FW24-4NO-4-Position-Momentary-Type-Monolever-Joystick-Reset-Button-Switch/223088221685?hash=item33f1181df5:g:L2MAAOSwM1ZbZV1 q:rk:10f:0

This would be a cool way for those that have the enhanced display, but don't want to install the 4 stalk.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #4728

Tried a little experiment. Bought a leather cover for my console lid and tackled the install. Not hard, but not easy. Fortunately, I have a little experience with this type of stuff, so sort of had a clue going in. For $29.00 and about 2 or so hours... I think it worked out nicely!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #4729

TRIED to install the Bluetooth adapter and CDR220 this weekend but realized that the CDR220 doesn’t work to replace a CDR23 Bose unit. Different antenna connection and no connection to the Bose system.

Reinstalled original unit and back to square one.

Still looking for a way to run at least an AUX audio source (with Bluetooth preferred) for music in the 986S.

I’m not interested in replacing with a non-factory headset isn’t an option. I want to keep the original look but with updated tech. Ideas appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #4730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Tried a little experiment. Bought a leather cover for my console lid and tackled the install. Not hard, but not easy. Fortunately, I have a little experience with this type of stuff, so sort of had a clue going in. For $29.00 and about 2 or so hours... I think it worked out nicely!

What did the install involve? Also do you have the take the console out to remove the armrest?
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #4731

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
TRIED to install the Bluetooth adapter and CDR220 this weekend but realized that the CDR220 doesn’t work to replace a CDR23 Bose unit. Different antenna connection and no connection to the Bose system.

Reinstalled original unit and back to square one.

Still looking for a way to run at least an AUX audio source (with Bluetooth preferred) for music in the 986S.

I’m not interested in replacing with a non-factory headset isn’t an option. I want to keep the original look but with updated tech. Ideas appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take a look at the Continental radio. It looks OEM and has Bluetooth.
Continental TR7412UB-OR Stereo Installation and Review
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #4732
Who's askin'?

Quote:

Does it work with the factory bose system?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #4733

Quote:
That indeed looks fantastic. If it connects to the Bose harness, I'm IN.

Thanks for the lead!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #4734

Garage
Quote:
That indeed looks fantastic. If it connects to the Bose harness, I'm IN.

Thanks for the lead!
You are welcome. I have no idea if it does work with the Bose system but reading through that thread, someone linked to a harness that does connect to the MOST system.
https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/wiring-harnesses/iso-audio-power-harness-porsche-996-boxster-m490.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #4735

Quote:
You are welcome. I have no idea if it does work with the Bose system but reading through that thread, someone linked to a harness that does connect to the MOST system.
https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/wiring-harnesses/iso-audio-power-harness-porsche-996-boxster-m490.html
Yeah, I came across that on their site. I'm now waiting on my inquiry to their service desk but if they give the Bose the green light I'll be doing this ASAP.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #4736
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Yeah, I came across that on their site. I'm now waiting on my inquiry to their service desk but if they give the Bose the green light I'll be doing this ASAP.
Please let us know. I've been looking for a solution myself.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #4737

Garage
Did the OBC Hack.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #4738

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
What did the install involve? Also do you have the take the console out to remove the armrest?
The armrest portion is simply the cover. It has 8 t-hex bolts that hold it to the frame. Open your console, remove bolts... Lifts right off. You must remove the factory vinyl cover by peeling it off and then scraping, pulling or whatever method to get the foam and old adhesive off. 3m 90 spray contact adhesive for regluing. The hard part is getting everything lined up and then folded down and properly laid down around the edges and underside. The piece is precut and fits well, but is pretty thick at the seams. One of my seams is a little off to the right in the pic. Not sure if I over stretched that portion or if that is just a bit off from the company. It is hand stitched so it’s possible it was a bit off to begin with.

Last edited by Geof3; 01-29-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #4739
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
In process of refreshing the vanity mirrors with new covers...
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #4740

geof3 where did you source the cover from?

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote