Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #4701

Didn’t feel like any heavy lifting today so I installed my new Lid Liners. I modified the rear one slightly because it had some minor interference with the filler gasket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #4702

Garage
Replaced my center bezel and switch bezels. The chipped ones looked crappy. I would have liked to stay with burlwood, but those parts cost a fortune.

I used a Targa Shade tip switch for the garage door opener.
I'm going to do the poor man's OBC using either a tip switch or a rotary with push button function.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #4703

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Replaced my center bezel and switch bezels. The chipped ones looked crappy. I would have liked to stay with burlwood, but those parts cost a fortune.

I used a Targa Shade tip switch for the garage door opener.
I'm going to do the poor man's OBC using either a tip switch or a rotary with push button function.
Where did you source the targa switch? And is there a guide for what to tie into for the obc? I love that idea!
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #4704
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have always wanted a set of those. Can you post a close up pic of your mod on the rear cover please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Didn’t feel like any heavy lifting today so I installed my new Lid Liners. I modified the rear one slightly because it had some minor interference with the filler gasket.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #4705
Santa Barbara, CA

I also considered the back deck area first for my sub, but with the glass window (it's a 98 with an aftermkt top) there's very little space, so mounting meant making it visible and tempting. Either there or in the front floor area makes for much better sound. It only took me a year to figure this out...
Old 01-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #4706

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I have always wanted a set of those. Can you post a close up pic of your mod on the rear cover please?
Hi Rex, here are before and after pics. I made the mod on the car with a Drexel cutting wheel so it’s not as clean as it should be.

I used a thick piece of cardboard as a backing plate on the trunk lid and held the lid liner away from the trunk lid by placing a rag under it. I had already mounted it and did not want to take it off again so as not to damage the retaining clips. I did remove and replace the one clip by the cut.

There’s a 15% discount code in effect at Lid Liners web site: RF14

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-05-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:47 AM   #4707
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I guess this is the site the Oldcarguy was talking about. Maybe he will respond. I sent him a email. Asking price etc.

https://lidliner.com/collections/frontpage/products/boxster-schild-front-and-rear-two-piece-set
Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #4708

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrg67 View Post
Where did you source the targa switch? And is there a guide for what to tie into for the obc? I love that idea!
The part number is 996-613-119-10-A05. I got it from Porsche of San Diego for $49.
You can shop the part for best price.

The OBC hack has you installing the four stalk lever assembly, but the poor man's version uses a tip switch. I have a spare window switch that I was using for GDO.
Someone mentioned the Targa switch legends looked like a garage door, so I had to have it.

The OBC hack is in various places on the Forum, but here's the article:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

I'm going to try a rotary encoder switch (like the one on the radio) to add "up" or "back" because you can use a third wire. Stay tuned for this one!
'56 356A
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #4709

Garage
Got a new ELM327 BT OBDII unit that is compatible with Porsche. My other one that worked on my VW would not communicate with the Boxster. Anyway, it's handy so I can clear the SAI codes with my phone until I can dig in and solve that issue.
'56 356A
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #4710

My spoiler switch arrived from Germany today The instructions are quite detailed. Can't wait to install it

Also I have the lid liners as well. Got them from Pelican with the PCA discount. This should save me from another $300 dent-pro visit for the rear trunk lid

Last edited by Qckslvr; 01-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #4711
WALDMEISTER

Garage
my hommage to the …

just check marked another 986 design project of my bucket list (nano leaf on 2m x 1.2m plywood)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #4712
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Excellent, thank you. Now may be the time.

Quote:
Hi Rex, here are before and after pics. I made the mod on the car with a Drexel cutting wheel so it’s not as clean as it should be.

I used a thick piece of cardboard as a backing plate on the trunk lid and held the lid liner away from the trunk lid by placing a rag under it. I had already mounted it and did not want to take it off again so as not to damage the retaining clips. I did remove and replace the one clip by the cut.

There’s a 15% discount code in effect at Lid Liners web site: RF14

Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #4713
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That is very creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
my hommage to the …

just check marked another 986 design project of my bucket list (nano leaf on 2m x 1.2m plywood)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #4714

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
The part number is 996-613-119-10-A05. I got it from Porsche of San Diego for $49.
You can shop the part for best price.

The OBC hack has you installing the four stalk lever assembly, but the poor man's version uses a tip switch. I have a spare window switch that I was using for GDO.
Someone mentioned the Targa switch legends looked like a garage door, so I had to have it.

The OBC hack is in various places on the Forum, but here's the article:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

I'm going to try a rotary encoder switch (like the one on the radio) to add "up" or "back" because you can use a third wire. Stay tuned for this one!
Thanks for the detail! Can't wait to see how the switch goes.
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #4715

Garage
Installed the VW relay for the wiper delay.
The rain sensor was just finicky, and I wanted an adjustable one. The relay cost me 13.60 shipped from Latvia 12V 6Pin # 95VW17C499BA / 357955531 / No. 99 _TESTED RELAY_ VW Audi Seat Skoda.
'56 356A
Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #4716

Waiting on parts so today was brake and clutch fluid purge/bleed. Took ~2.5 liters to get all of the green mystery fluid completely out of the brake and clutch system. The mystery fluid was too high in water content & I did have some air. Motul 600 happily flowing through the clutch and brake system now. Check out the cool clutch bleed tool I found (I love tools ). Check your brake fluid every year.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #4717

Garage
Took her for a nice 110 mile drive with the top down, traffic was light due to the football games so I got to open her up a few times. Nothing sounds better than hitting 120mph on an empty freeway with the top down.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #4718

Garage
Quote:
Waiting on parts so today was brake and clutch fluid purge/bleed. Took ~2.5 liters to get all of the green mystery fluid completely out of the brake and clutch system. The mystery fluid was too high in water content & I did have some air. Motul 600 happily flowing through the clutch and brake system now. Check out the cool clutch bleed tool I found (I love tools ). Check your brake fluid every year.

Tell me more about the cool clutch bleed tool! Where can i get one? How does it work?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #4719

Garage
Bled the cooling system after changing the water pump, thermostat and plugs last weekend. Very smoky when warming, even after up to temp for a while. Seemed like steam, but no leaks and seems to be at level.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #4720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Tell me more about the cool clutch bleed tool! Where can i get one? How does it work?
Hi Ciao, it’s from a company called Mueller-Kueps. They’re in Germany and they make speciality automotive tools. Just google their name and you’ll find their website. They don’t sell directly to the public. I purchased through a vendor on eBay (Tooldom). I also purchased the M-K axle pusher for my axle replacement (received but haven’t used it yet).

For the bleeder, there are deep socket and shallow socket versions in 10 or 11mm. I purchased the deep socket 11mm version. The socket is hollow and it seems to be permanently attached to the reversible ratchet. It comes with a good quality bleeder hose (~1 meter length) that runs freely through the socket and ratchet.

I attached the bleeder hose to the clutch slave bleeder valve, attached the other end of the hose to my brake bleeder catch can, slid the ratchet/socket assembly onto the bleeder valve, made sure I had fluid and pressure in the Motive and let it rip. Standard operating procedure from that point forward. After bleeding, I just slid the ratchet/socket assembly down the hose and removed the hose from the valve.

I had also purchased a much less expensive ‘bleeder’ ratchet but it had a shallow socket that had a fixed grommet / hose assembly built into it and I did not like the way it barely fit and was difficult to remove from the bleeder valve (tested on a brake valve).

Just to mention that I had the braces, pan and midpipes removed, along with the axle disconnected from the trans axle, when I bled the clutch slave. Taking advantage of my axle / midpipe replacement project made for much easier access to the clutch slave.