Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #3921

My plan is not to touch the snorkels ( leave them up high) and just open up the bottom, I can't imagine too much stuff will make it from down low all the way up to the snorkels.( I pulled the rubber boots back and looked in there and it's just a big hollow space) Besides the car usually only gets used in nice weather. Thanks for the concern though, I'll definitely post if I run into any problems.

914racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #3922

Anker, you have an interesting stable or cars btw.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #3923

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914racer View Post
Here are a couple of pics of things I've been working on recently, response to the article in Pano and finding the correct wheels has inspired me to go a little further down the prototype road. In January I'm going to be taking a metal forming class to learn how to make the side scoops and weld up the original side vents(the one shown is just a practice piece to learn how much I don't know about metal shaping). I also added some Rennsport track mats and OMP aluminum pedals, I'll try to remember to post pics as the project moves forward .
Damn that's a perfect looking Boxster. That prototype bumper is awesome. Where did it come from? Even if you don't get the side vents done this car is fantastic.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #3924

Garage
Quote:
Here are a couple of pics of things I've been working on recently, response to the article in Pano and finding the correct wheels has inspired me to go a little further down the prototype road. In January I'm going to be taking a metal forming class to learn how to make the side scoops and weld up the original side vents(the one shown is just a practice piece to learn how much I don't know about metal shaping). I also added some Rennsport track mats and OMP aluminum pedals, I'll try to remember to post pics as the project moves forward .

Nice wheels! What is the source?
Old 12-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #3925

Very nice. Thanks
RedBluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #3926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Damn that's a perfect looking Boxster. That prototype bumper is awesome. Where did it come from? Even if you don't get the side vents done this car is fantastic.
I made the bumper out of 2 damaged bumpers and some Cayenne exhaust tips.(if you want to see more about the build go to show and tell and search "prototype ")
Old 12-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #3927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Nice wheels! What is the source?
The wheels are RH made in Germany 18" 3 piece I don't remember the offset right now but they are perfect for the Boxster no spacers used! I found them on Craigslist. I have a set of one piece similar wheels for sale in classifieds right now, currently painted Weiss gold.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #3928

Today I had to find a way to cover my sealant glue mistake until I can remove the window and redo it. Matches pretty good.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #3929

I did the roof relay hack to disable the speed and handbrake restrictions for lowering and raising the roof. This is an easy job. Its too cold and snowy to see if I can operate the roof while moving. Its going to -23 C today
I've run out of winter jobs until my Rennline throttle pedal arrives.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E

Last edited by 356Guy; 12-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #3930

Garage
Quote:
The wheels are RH made in Germany 18" 3 piece I don't remember the offset right now but they are perfect for the Boxster no spacers used! I found them on Craigslist. I have a set of one piece similar wheels for sale in classifieds right now, currently painted Weiss gold.
Dam good find on Craigs
Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #3931

Fixed broken captive nuts on the driver side top latch with nutserts.

Could not get most broken pieces out of the hole, like DIY article suggested... but dislodged them out of the way for nutsert installation. They are lost in the windshield frame somewhere, hope they rest in peace and won't haunt with rattle.

I guess the hardtop installed this winter was shaking those latch screws loose, hope it's all tight there and reduce squeak around there.

Now shopping for a set of winter tires!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #3932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Fixed broken captive nuts on the driver side top latch with nutserts.

Could not get most broken pieces out of the hole, like DIY article suggested... but dislodged them out of the way for nutsert installation. They are lost in the windshield frame somewhere, hope they rest in peace and won't haunt with rattle.

I guess the hardtop installed this winter was shaking those latch screws loose, hope it's all tight there and reduce squeak around there.

Now shopping for a set of winter tires!
Test drove the car and surely those metal pieces left in the windshield frame rattled right by my face...

So took it apart again but not much access through an existing hole to fish them out or even feel them. I blew compressed air all hoping to move those pieces out of there, and that actually did the trick.

Hardtop is now much quieter with reduced squeaking, must be from the loose latch. I drove today and it was -5F, but it was warm and quiet in the cabin, felt like in a newer car!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #3933

Garage
New Headlights

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded the headlights on my '02.
Hirsch990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #3934
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsch990 View Post

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded the headlights on my '02.

It’s a worthy upgrade, IMO, especially after selling on the old set on eBay. I immediately put LaminX film on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #3935

Garage
They look good. Where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #3936

Installed some 15mm wheel spacers front and rear.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #3937

Garage
Have you used the LaminX before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccash View Post
They look good. Where did you buy them?

partsgeek. They are Magneti Marelli's. Nice price, delivered quick and look good.
Hirsch990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 AM   #3938
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsch990 View Post
Have you used the LaminX before?

No, I never have. Just thought it was a good investment ($50) to get some protection on the outside from stone chips (of course, no help with burning from the inside). Easily enough removed if they start to crack or yellow.

partsgeek. They are Magneti Marelli's. Nice price, delivered quick and look good.
Same with me - Parts Geek was a good deal for assemblies from the OEM manufacturer.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #3939

Garage
Thanks

jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #3940
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Put the hardtop on for the first time in ages. Really changes the car up a bit. Profile, warmer, wider rear view angles and noticeably quieter. Happy New Year. Safe travels.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote