View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #3932
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Fixed broken captive nuts on the driver side top latch with nutserts.

Could not get most broken pieces out of the hole, like DIY article suggested... but dislodged them out of the way for nutsert installation. They are lost in the windshield frame somewhere, hope they rest in peace and won't haunt with rattle.

I guess the hardtop installed this winter was shaking those latch screws loose, hope it's all tight there and reduce squeak around there.

Now shopping for a set of winter tires!
Test drove the car and surely those metal pieces left in the windshield frame rattled right by my face...

So took it apart again but not much access through an existing hole to fish them out or even feel them. I blew compressed air all hoping to move those pieces out of there, and that actually did the trick.

Hardtop is now much quieter with reduced squeaking, must be from the loose latch. I drove today and it was -5F, but it was warm and quiet in the cabin, felt like in a newer car!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote