Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #1641

Tell us more about the vehicle please- year, miles etc. Pictures of the old bearing? I don't know much better but a lot of people here will say your engine was not eligible for a straight up bearing replacement so consider yourself warned in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcui View Post
Just picked mine up from the Indy... Took it in last week for my yearly oil change (only drive about 2K a year) and had them cut open the filter. The news wasn't good. Metal in the filter. Scheduled a ims retrofit on Monday and they finished the work this morning. When they got to the bearing, they noted it was failing. Bearing was replaced and sump dropped for cleaning. Metal and plastic were found in the sump, and the intake tube had debris in it. They also replaced the RMS with the new style. Total cost 2400.00, but engine sounds smoother and I can breathe easier now... Just glad wife was supportive haha... More botox for her now.

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #1642

2000 base 2.7 with 109k miles. Shop used the LN retrofit kit. No pics (I forgot to ask) but shop is super legit so I trust their word. While in there, they checked clutch (which they said was in great condition) and replaced the RMS with the new style seal. I've owned the car since Dec 2011 and only put 6k on it since owning it. I've changed the oil at leat 4 times and on the last change is when they noticed the metal.
jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcui View Post
Just picked mine up from the Indy... Took it in last week for my yearly oil change (only drive about 2K a year) and had them cut open the filter. The news wasn't good. Metal in the filter. Scheduled a ims retrofit on Monday and they finished the work this morning. When they got to the bearing, they noted it was failing. Bearing was replaced and sump dropped for cleaning. Metal and plastic were found in the sump, and the intake tube had debris in it. They also replaced the RMS with the new style. Total cost 2400.00, but engine sounds smoother and I can breathe easier now... Just glad wife was supportive haha... More botox for her now.
I bet Jake R. will say they should have torn the whole engine apart to get any metal contamination out.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #1644

Garage
decided to take a drive up to the lake since the Box was in storage all winter......got myself a speeding ticket!! Grrrr!
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #1645

Finally got the Boxster out of hibernation today, with some upgrades

Upgraded high-end audio system.
Name:  porsche-1.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  59.1 KB

Painted the calipers, new pads and brake fluid using Pedro's very helpful DIY guides. Thanks Pedro!
Name:  porsche-2.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  56.8 KB

Re-painted the emblem, the S matching the callipers.
Name:  porsche-3.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  34.0 KB

Went for a long drive today. Big grin
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #1646
Need For Speed

Garage
Very nice newBgeek!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #1647

Garage
Spent two hours Tuesday removing the front motor mount after draining the cooling. I also mounted the new one in the yoke. Wednesday spend two and a half hours torquing the mount into the yoke and reinstalling the entire assembly. It is bit more fiddly going back on the car. I also removed the water pump and thermostat and installing the replacements. Tomorrow will be set aside to reattach the coolant hoses and try the Uview to test the seal. There is a new belt ready to go and fresh coolant in jugs ready for the refill. Hopefully it will be on the road by the weekend.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #1648

Today was a very productive car day:

-Took off from work
-Turned in my wifes leased Jetta
-Went shopping for a replacement and and struck a killer deal on a Honda Pilot EXL
-Called my storage co. to get the Boxster prepped for pickup
-The two of us killed an hour playing racing games at Dave and Busters
-Picked up my fully detailed Boxster (it looks so friggin good)
-Hit the movies and saw Furious 7

Last edited by cardiffgiant; 04-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #1649

in the shop today

in the shop today replaced clutch, rear main seal, skipped ims update crossing my fingers it does not conk out on my 99 box , replaced engine and trans mount, detailed the engine , refinished the flywheel

70000 kms clutch

other cars in the shop

thanks for viewing and sorry for humongous pics.
orioner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #1650

Garage
Today ...drove it to work

Yesterday drove it on a three hundred mile trip to Northern Michigan and back.

Wednesday installed a new motor mount and an underdrive pulley.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #1651

Finally got the car back together after replacing IMS bearing. New axle boots also installed. Everything is ready except for starting it since the work has been completed and checking tire pressure. Should be starting the car tomorrow and I'll see if I did it right. Wish me luck.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #1652

I did my first Boxster oil change last night!
Wow! That's alot of oil! Twice as much as most of my other cars I've owned!
I checked the filter - no metal bits but had a few very small black plastic? grains and a couple of small (1/16") brownish bits. Hopefully nothing serious?

I used my homemade car ramps - made of all my wood offcuts
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #1653
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I did my first Boxster oil change last night!
Wow! That's alot of oil! Twice as much as most of my other cars I've owned!
I checked the filter - no metal bits but had a few very small black plastic? grains and a couple of small (1/16") brownish bits. Hopefully nothing serious?

I used my homemade car ramps - made of all my wood offcuts
I like your ramps!

Could be the oil hasn't been changed in a while. When I did my first change I had some brownish almost amber looking bits in the filter. Not sure about the black bits. I change the oil every 5k miles and have had nothing in the filter since then.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #1654

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I like your ramps!

Could be the oil hasn't been changed in a while. When I did my first change I had some brownish almost amber looking bits in the filter. Not sure about the black bits. I change the oil every 5k miles and have had nothing in the filter since then.
Oil was changed 4800 miles ago - with new IMS.
It was M1 00/40 - I have gone to Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 this time.

Last edited by njbray; 04-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #1655
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I did the electrical installation portion of the IMS Guardian. Everything in the dash was done and hooked up to the fuse box. Did an operation test by grounding the detector/oil plug and testing the switch as well as the magnetic contacts. All good. I am now at the point where I have to run the detector/oil plug wire into the engine area. That will be next weekend along with oil sump inspection and oil change. Fun project.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #1656
Rennzenn

Garage
AX on Sunday. Finished 3rd to a pair of Z06 Vettes.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #1657
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
AX on Sunday. Finished 3rd to a pair of Z06 Vettes.
Nice job!

Great picture too! I just love the lines of the 986 and with the wheels and tires you have on it, looks beastly!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #1658

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I like your ramps!

I rinsed of the bits from my oil filter - they seem to be dark brown bits. Any ideas what they may be from?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #1659
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I rinsed of the bits from my oil filter - they seem to be dark brown bits. Any ideas what they may be from?
Could just be bits knocked lose from the IMSB change. Might start your own thread on this. Will attract more experts as I don't think they frequent this thread much.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #1660

If they are hard plastic they are from your chain ramps / wear pads.
To get a better understanding of the amount wear, the next step would be to drop your oil pan and inspect the debris - probably at the next oil change.
Do you have a Durametric to check the camshaft deviation - another indication of ramp wear.