Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #4601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Installed 3-spoke wheel. Finally. :ah:

Attachment 21744
I’ve got to get me a set of pedal covers. Just too cool. What brand did you go with?

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #4602

Mounted dedicated winter tires/ wheels back on, following hardtop installation a few weeks ago. Let it snow!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #4603

Installed a Schnell short shifter, new driver side regulator, and fixed a broken fuel door hinge

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #4604

Put some stripes on!

I'm surprised how good they came out. Can't stop looking at my Boxster now

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #4605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Put some stripes on!

I'm surprised how good they came out. Can't stop looking at my Boxster now

Nice!!!!!!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #4606

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Changed the spark plug tubes and cleaned up the mess the old ones made

I devised a simple tube removal tool from some strip aluminum that I had lying around. The benefit of this one is that it can be used without removing the spark plugs. It works great

And a before and after of the mess...

How did you get your engine so clean?
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #4607
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Gunk engine degreaser and a small dish brush, followed up with a Dawn scrub and clean water rinse. It was just a quick job on the heads so I could see if my new spark plug tubes leaked (took about 20 minutes per head and the tubes didn't leak ).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #4608

Garage
Changed oil and oil filter 0W-40w in preparation for winter storage.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #4609

Garage
Looks great! Gotta do that on mine.
'56 356A
Old 11-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #4610

Garage
Quote:
That is pretty innovative! I did not know you could remove the tubes without removing the spark plugs. I'd like a tool like that.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #4611

Refinished leather on my XNE steering wheel, using Leather Magic kit.

Name:  261F2DE4-5FE5-4889-9523-BEBA4937131F.jpeg
Views: 481
Size:  387.0 KB

Leather around 10 o’clock got worn down and became rough and sticky especially under high humidity... so applied flexible artificial leather patch to fill a small hole and beef up thinned area before coloring. Hope it lasts another 20 years!

Also fixed a stripped nut securing the engine access panel with a nut-sert, easy job and it’s tight now!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 11-18-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #4612

Garage
Thread should be 'what did you try to do to your Boxster today?'

Unpacked and set up my 3 Ton HF low profile jack so I could inspect the brakes...etc.
Went to loosen the rear wheels, and apparently the shop, which had just replaced one inner CV must've used an impact gun to put the wheels on. I only had a 19mm socket in 3/8, and ended up shearing my Kobalt 1/2-3/8 reducer. So I then tried to use the socket from the tool kit, and ended up busting the side out of it.
This happened to me on my VW TDI. I had it in for a 80K service at dealer and they advised me I needed brakes. I told them I do my own. After splitting the end of a 1/2" extension, I also stripped two lock sockets. My buddy had to come over with his 3/4" sockets and a huge breaker bar.
I did install a new set of wiper blades and tested the rain sensor.
'56 356A
Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #4613
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Most wheel nuts are ridiculously over tightened by tire installers who don't know any better. I always take my own torque wrench and make them use it or I make them watch me do it. They usually will take the time to do it right after the service writer gets involved.

Quote:

Unpacked and set up my 3 Ton HF low profile jack so I could inspect the brakes...etc.
Went to loosen the rear wheels, and apparently the shop, which had just replaced one inner CV must've used an impact gun to put the wheels on. I only had a 19mm socket in 3/8, and ended up shearing my Kobalt 1/2-3/8 reducer. So I then tried to use the socket from the tool kit, and ended up busting the side out of it.
This happened to me on my VW TDI. I had it in for a 80K service at dealer and they advised me I needed brakes. I told them I do my own. After splitting the end of a 1/2" extension, I also stripped two lock sockets. My buddy had to come over with his 3/4" sockets and a huge breaker bar.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #4614

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Most wheel nuts are ridiculously over tightened by tire installers who don't know any better. I always take my own torque wrench and make them use it or I make them watch me do it. They usually will take the time to do it right after the service writer gets involved.
I went to my buddy's and he used a 3/4" socket and used the handle of his 3T HF jack as a lever!
The extender part of the wheel lock socket sheared off from the force. I'll probably buy a set off ebay.
He thinks the repair shop used a 1" gun on it.
It's all good now. I can get back to what I wanted to do.

btw - thanks to all who contributed to threads about jacking and stands. I was reading all afternoon yesterday.
My VW had the seam under the car and I used a slit adapter on my old jack. I have conventional V-shaped stands with rubber covers so will pay close attention to placement, etc.
'56 356A
Old 11-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #4615

Quote:

This is the very reason for my unconventional act to always take wheels off myself then bring them to the tire shop to replace tires. They gave me hard time to record the car and mileage on the paperwork for mileage warranty on tires for walk-on job without seeing the car, but I drove up the car with new tires the next day and talked to store manager to get the paperwork updated....

And it did pay off 15,000 miles later when my Michelin PSAS3 worn down almost to the wear bar in the back, got like 40% prorated discount.

They always pump too much air too, more is not better!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:21 AM   #4616

Removed the driver's seat cushion on my DD to have it repaired and have been using the Boxster for daily duties. It's been three weeks although I had the repaired seat back in a couple of days . No challenging twisty mountain roads in my neck of the woods but I look forward to the drive home from work every day and my smooth shifting is improving.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #4617

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
Removed the driver's seat cushion on my DD to have it repaired and have been using the Boxster for daily duties. It's been three weeks although I had the repaired seat back in a couple of days . No challenging twisty mountain roads in my neck of the woods but I look forward to the drive home from work every day and my smooth shifting is improving.
I have a large hole in my driver side bolster. How much did the repair cost you?
'56 356A
Old 11-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #4618

Looked at mine sitting in the garage because it's broke down. Can't get her in until the 3rd of December.
Duke0594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #4619

Oil change, fuel filter change, 987 shifter, and new ebrake assembly today.

Bonus, found $1.69 in change under the console from previous owner!
Aanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #4620

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
didn't do a damned thing with my boxster today ...

Look like ducks ? You never seen anyone use German Shepard’s for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucassharringtonn is offline   Reply With Quote