Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #2601
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Earlier this week I got the factory GT3/Aero kit bumper and factory side skirts mounted. It has been a long process of acquiring the factory parts thru e-Bay (bumper) and side skirts (Suncoast- their last set for $695 plus shipping- a steal) finally painted and mounted.

That's friggin .....BEAUTIFUL!!!!

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #2602

Garage
Drove 300 miles round trip to see my girlfriend for her birthday while she is back home for the summer. Boxster didn't skip a beat and enjoyed steady high speeds at times.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #2603
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Changed accessory belt, air filter, cabin filter, oil & oil filter, and transaxle fluid plus checked brake & power steering fluid plus coolant. basically the 60,000 mile service.

Amazing how the car feels better when you do the work yourself.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #2604

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
Quote:
your car was one of the ones that made me decide to pull the trigger on getting it done.
gotta admit, I want to pull the trigger on the gt3 aerokit front w/ splitter as well because of your car. Pure beauty brotha
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #2605

Just swapped out faulty headlight switch. Classic symptoms...all lights work except xenons
- $135 from Vertex, 5 min job
rjh986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #2606

Boxster ride

Took my 82 year old consort ( i'm 78 ) for a ride today. She didn't like it !
hihobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #2607
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh986 View Post
Just swapped out faulty headlight switch. Classic symptoms...all lights work except xenons
- $135 from Vertex, 5 min job
Nice, Ray. I did mine a while ago. Original felt like a worn out tuning knob on an old (real old) TV. Now, just like Dad used to say, I'll be turn that knob one station at a time!
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #2608
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihobruce View Post
Took my 82 year old consort ( i'm 78 ) for a ride today. She didn't like it !
Time for a trade-in......car or consort, you decide!
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #2609

Put my baby back together - it was 97 F here today (hotter than the sun!), so I am ready for a nice long shower!

The new (for me/pre-owned) replacement bumper arrived today around noon in good shape via freight. Gave the inside a good scrub before mounting it up on the car. Took some juggling to get both sides seated (was doing this alone) but once the top corners were in place the rest fell right in line. After all bumper cover fasteners were in place I gave the whole thing an intense scrubbing with McGuires Paint scrubber (to remove old wax and any swirls in the clear coat) then hit it with some quick wax before bolting the trim stuff up (bumperettes, license plate).

It actually looks better than it did before the accident. Well, except for the gash in that back wheel...
Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #2610

Quote:
Earlier this week I got the factory GT3/Aero kit bumper and factory side skirts mounted. It has been a long process of acquiring the factory parts thru e-Bay (bumper) and side skirts (Suncoast- their last set for $695 plus shipping- a steal) finally painted and mounted.

That looks AWESOME!!! If I didn't have 122K miles on my 01S, I'd be sorely tempted to do the same.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #2611
Okinawa986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
So I've had my Box for about two weeks now since it was at the shop for IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, exhaust mod and the list goes on and on....and it feels and drives and sounds like it's fresh out of the Porsche showroom and so I put the top down and wife and I head off to the local ice cream spot after dinner and pull in and park. And almost immediately this little boy, probably eight or nine, is in line for ice cream and he lets go of his dad's hand and walks over and his dad is laughing and the little boy asks me "excuse me sir I like your car what kind of car is this?"
So this little boy got a grand tour of a very clean 2000 Porsche Boxster and got to sit in the seat and hold the wheel and learned how to pronounce Porsche with two syllables. And then my wife vacates her seat and lets the little boy sit in the passenger side so I can fire it up and let him hear the glorious sound of a flat six engine. And he smiles and says he wants to have a car like this when he grows up.
I paid $10,000 for this car and have put another $10,000 into it to return it to its former glory. I can guarantee you that I will spend considerably more as time goes on. Anyone with any financial common sense would tell me I'm wasting my money. But when a little kid sits in the driver's seat of your Porsche and takes hold of the wheel like Moses accepting the two stone tablets, you just go ahead and try and tell me I wasted my money. It won't work. These cars are works of art, and the little kids...they know.
Well-said.
Thanks for the share...and the affirmation.

I also recently purchased my very clean 2000 S (four weeks ago) and had a similar experience during a "last day of school ice cream" sandwich delivery to my wife's school this past Thursday.
As I made a left into the school parking lot, I could see two boys standing where I expected to meet two of my wife's 5th grade students. The boys must have been told to look for a Porsche because they seemed to recognize me immediately even though I had never met these particular students.
When I got close enough to see their eyes, I nearly laughed out loud at the sight of their glazed, seemingly magical reaction to the car. They looked as if they had spotted the girl of their dreams but she could only be viewed as a reflection in every admired feature of this Porsche.

Love, desire, admiration, and barely contained excitement beamed from their mesmerized, worshipping eyes. Their gaze transfixed from the moment they spotted the rare, perhaps one-of-a-kind Zenith Blue German beauty. Her sight made even more special on this Japanese-car-infested-island of Okinawa. Yet, even though these boys had only been walking this Earth for perhaps 10 years, they wisely and immediately recognized that they should appreciate this fleeting moment to the fullest; and, that they'd want to share as many details as possible with friends later: but, this moment, though shared, could not have been a more personal religious-like experience. The turn that brought her into their line of sight, the U-turn directly in front of them, the ice-cream hand-off from inside the car, took perhaps 60 seconds, yet I confidently gleaned all that from their glazed-eyed, stunned stances that persisted even in my rear-view mirror as I drove away. I understood what they experienced from the look they wore because I wore a similar one every time I saw a beautiful Porsche before owning one: and, now, I get to wear one at least a few religious moments every day. Divine works of art indeed.
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 06-19-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Share my own experience...
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #2612
Okinawa986

Delete duplicate post

Last edited by DRGETZ; 06-18-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: duplicate post
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #2613

Sadly, I sold her today. And on Father's Day no less.
I'd driven her less and less since buying the Lotus. The buyer noticed from my log book that the last time I gassed her up was in October. But the sunny weather is finally here in the Northwest and I'm going to miss the top down experience.

Never could have survived ownership without this forum. Many thanks to all that contribute. I'm in a forum for each of my cars and this one is by far the most active and helpful.

Kind regards to all,

Glen
Old 06-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #2614

Took my '03 S in for a pre-tech inspection checkup for my first HDPE that will be next month. Didn't want to go to the Tech Inspection 10 days before the event and find out something needed attention. Plus the Tech Inspection says the brake fluid needs to be flushed at least once a year so had my brake fluid flushed and bled, brakes inspected and front center motor mount removed inspected. At 59,000 miles and almost 13 years old I was expecting the motor mount to be torn but it is in perfect shape! Unfortunately I had one incident where it starting misfiring last week. They checked the codes and I'm also getting new plugs and coil packs. In the next two weekends I'll change to my 18 inch wheels and put the BK rollbar extension on.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #2615
IronDeadPool

Well well well, i recently got a package in the mail, can you figure it out ?

If you guessed Tail Lights then your right!

Well now that we finally have summer here in Canada, I decided to look for some mods to do to my Boxster. I decided that my first purchase should be a new set of taillights. My search began and found a few places where i could buy them but when it came to the actual purchase I bought them from Parts4Euro.com.

I dealt with a gentleman by the name of Felix he Anserwed all my questions and had my shipment delivered in two days! (VERY IMPRESSIVE)

Please check out Parts4Euro.com or email Info@parts4euro.com tell them Sean sent you! you will not be disappointed!

GET YOUR SET TODAY ON SALE NOW $199
Crystal Smoked / Red LED Taillights for 986 Boxster, Parts4Euro.com:

Project IronDeadPool

Last edited by 986ohana; 06-27-2016 at 06:18 AM.
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #2616

Today I left my Boxster at the shop to get the brake fluid replaced. It boiled during my last track day and I discovered that it's something to avoid. Going with ATE Typ 200, which is the replacement for the discontinued ATE Racing Blue.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #2617

Garage
plasti dip experiment...

painted my wheel barrels red with gold metalizer from plasti-dip.

Gonna finish the face of the wheel white today with glossifier. Until than,
her ass stays in the air

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #2618

Before:

After:

GT3 brake ducts installed.

I've also replaced the wheels, since the front wheels were very worn in the inside. I found a set of second hand ones with the exact same rims that I had before and nearly brand new tyres. All of this was actually done yesterday.

Last week I got the brake fluid replaced with ATE Typ 200.

Today I went to get a wheel alignment, since the wear on the front tyres suggested way too much toe out, which turned out to be the case. That is now in order, but the guy in the shop wasn't very confident when it came to fixing the exaggerated negative camber, so that's not taken care of yet.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #2619

Yesterday afternoon I installed my new to me Brey Krause roll bar extension for the first time, didn't want to find out something was missing or it didn't work next weekend since tech inspection is on July 5th. I bought it used, asked Brey Krause where to get some of the protective tape and they sent me two pieces for free so I didn't need to buy a whole roll of it. Everything worked fine. The hardest part was getting the pads off the roll bar hoops without marring the paint.

Then I installed my 18 inch wheels. Now the car is ready for my first HDPE at Mosport!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #2620

Installed the Proxel rear proximity sensor. Easy install, no drilling required, and if I pay attention, I won't back into my truck.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote