View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #4615
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Thread should be 'what did you try to do to your Boxster today?'

Unpacked and set up my 3 Ton HF low profile jack so I could inspect the brakes...etc.
Went to loosen the rear wheels, and apparently the shop, which had just replaced one inner CV must've used an impact gun to put the wheels on. I only had a 19mm socket in 3/8, and ended up shearing my Kobalt 1/2-3/8 reducer. So I then tried to use the socket from the tool kit, and ended up busting the side out of it.
This happened to me on my VW TDI. I had it in for a 80K service at dealer and they advised me I needed brakes. I told them I do my own. After splitting the end of a 1/2" extension, I also stripped two lock sockets. My buddy had to come over with his 3/4" sockets and a huge breaker bar.
I did install a new set of wiper blades and tested the rain sensor.
This is the very reason for my unconventional act to always take wheels off myself then bring them to the tire shop to replace tires. They gave me hard time to record the car and mileage on the paperwork for mileage warranty on tires for walk-on job without seeing the car, but I drove up the car with new tires the next day and talked to store manager to get the paperwork updated....

And it did pay off 15,000 miles later when my Michelin PSAS3 worn down almost to the wear bar in the back, got like 40% prorated discount.

They always pump too much air too, more is not better!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote