Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #3541

Garage
Ocean Jade metallic is a stunning color. Makes my black 03 S looks drab. You don't see many of them -- what years was it offered.

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #3542
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
So this weekend I finally drug my Ocean Jade Metallic '99 out of the back of the shop where it's mostly been sitting since I bought it 3 years ago. I've put maybe 500 miles on it since I brought it back to Oklahoma from Tucson AZ. I've been working on it hit/miss between my other projects. Lot's of delayed maintenance from previous owners, but nothing out of the ordinary; fluids, belts, motor and transmission mounts, suspension bits and pieces and window regulators.

I'm pretty happy with it. It cleaned up well, drives quiet, pulls hard (and to the extent I wanted to push 12 year old mismatched tires ) it handles like a Boxster.

I'm looking forward to getting some detail work complete and finishing up some more maintenance making it roadworthy. It's a unique color and very nicely optioned. Stay tuned for more...

Nice work, and pretty shot of the car. I've only seen one other OJM in person - at the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit. It really is a beautiful color. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate the cars in not commonly seen colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #3543

Today the insurance adjuster got back from vacation and estimated the cost to repair my 03 S due to being rear ended last week and being pushed under the SUV in front of me. Just over $4,800 assuming the front bumper cover can be repaired. We'll know for sure about the bumper once it comes off, it looks like it was only deformed. Glad it wasn't my fault!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #3544
I am No. 1348

Garage
Ouch! PaulE, that's a lot. Isn't NJ a no fault state and don't you pay $500 deductible or is insurance / other party picking that up?

Just be thankful you were not hurt.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #3545

As far as I understand the responsible party's insurance company will be covering everything, even the deductible. The $4,900 includes $1,700 in parts, $1,133 of which is the list price for a new front hood! I am glad I wasn't hurt. The woman I was pushed into had the smallest of holes and a scratch on the unpainted matte black part of her Mazda CX-5 bumper, but was complaining of back/neck pain. I'm happy to not have to deal with that or be responsible for it!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #3546
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
For comparison, I was rear ended in March and it was $4,150.00 to put mine right. And I didn't get pushed into the police car in front of me thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Today the insurance adjuster got back from vacation and estimated the cost to repair my 03 S due to being rear ended last week and being pushed under the SUV in front of me. Just over $4,800 assuming the front bumper cover can be repaired. We'll know for sure about the bumper once it comes off, it looks like it was only deformed. Glad it wasn't my fault!
I also like the OJM color. Love the unique colors. I saw a 356 on Friday painted 'Terra Cotta'. I was told that it was a special order color and was very rare.

Last edited by rexcramer; 06-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #3547

Well I confirmed with my insurance company that the insurance company of the party that hit me and pushed me into the car in front of me will be covering all of my repair costs, including my deductible. That insurance company is also responsible for all of the damage to the car and driver in front of me. I know New Jersey is a "No Fault" state, but I don't know what that actually means.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #3548

Garage
Having my daughter being hit twice (Thank goodness she had a 2003 Jeep liberty), I believe No-Fault is where your insurance picks up the costs initially. When it's clear that another driver is at fault, then your insurance carrier negotiates with the other carrier to cover the expense
Old 06-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #3549
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Paintless Dent Repair

I took my Boxster to a PDR outfit here in Winnipeg to have several small but noticabe (to me anyway) dents and one 'pimple' fixed. The work looks amazing. I had 4 slight depressions, 2 on each front fender, and a raised pimple on the rear trunk lid removed. The pimple was caused by closing the lid on a plastic bottle in the trunk. Broke the bottle but raised a welt.

The finished results are superb. Amazing, the car now drives better as well! I think I gained 5HP.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #3550

The best PDR guys are artists in my book. I've had a few done by a guy that comes to my office parking lot and does his magic there, and those spots are perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I took my Boxster to a PDR outfit here in Winnipeg to have several small but noticabe (to me anyway) dents and one 'pimple' fixed. The work looks amazing. I had 4 slight depressions, 2 on each front fender, and a raised pimple on the rear trunk lid removed. The pimple was caused by closing the lid on a plastic bottle in the trunk. Broke the bottle but raised a welt.

The finished results are superb. Amazing, the car now drives better as well! I think I gained 5HP.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #3551

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Having my daughter being hit twice (Thank goodness she had a 2003 Jeep liberty), I believe No-Fault is where your insurance picks up the costs initially. When it's clear that another driver is at fault, then your insurance carrier negotiates with the other carrier to cover the expense
I had the choice of dealing with my insurance company or the other party's. I chose to go through my ins co for convenience. Initially they pay me the repair cost minus my deductible, then subrogates against the other insurance company for 100% of the costs. When they collect from the other insurance company they will reimburse me my deductible.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #3552
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I had the choice of dealing with my insurance company or the other party's. I chose to go through my ins co for convenience. Initially they pay me the repair cost minus my deductible, then subrogates against the other insurance company for 100% of the costs. When they collect from the other insurance company they will reimburse me my deductible.
In my case we both had the same carrier, so my adjuster didn't really care about making sure the car was correct. Forced their hand to replace the bumper cover, too (in addition to the hood, center bumper cover carrier, striker, latch mechanism, and hood release assembly).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #3553

Replaced my ignition switch. Harbor Freight has an $8 precision screwdriver set with flexible extension that made this really easy - took about 10 minutes.

Then had to jump start the car due to the old switch keeping the car stuck in ACC...oops.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #3554

Replaced my top with a 2003 top and frame! No more split window and no more window chop
Took me around 3 hours to swap - including sorting out some mistakes such as pinching window heater wire and breaking a plastic ball joint.
Purchased the top from LKQ.
So how much is a 2001 top with a cracked plastic window worth?

njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #3555

What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Treated it to a full detail, wash, clay bar, seal and wax. Came up nice. Now I wish it would raining.

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

Last edited by Traco; 06-30-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #3556

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
Replaced my top with a 2003 top and frame! No more split window and no more window chop
Took me around 3 hours to swap - including sorting out some mistakes such as pinching window heater wire and breaking a plastic ball joint.
Purchased the top from LKQ.
So how much is a 2001 top with a cracked plastic window worth?

That's awesome!
Did you have to do any work on the electric bits?
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 AM   #3557

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
That's awesome!
Did you have to do any work on the electric bits?
Car is 2001 so no electric work needed.
Electrics only needed on 99 or earlier if you want to upgrade electric transmission parts and relay.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 AM   #3558
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Drove my Box to work today. Sure felt a little odd in the seat since the backrest is more upright than my Outback (and the ingress/egress reminded me a little of a sore lower back). I need to clean and detail it now, though. Repaired remote is brilliant.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #3559

Brought her in for an alignment, since she had recently gotten new shoes. The toe was out which had caused inner tread wear.....all is to spec now
vdoman_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #3560

Garage
Have been vacationing in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for almost two weeks. In all that time I have seen TWO other Porsches. Glad I haven't broken down.

Actually I did get a CEL the second day here. P0430 indicating that the second bank O2 sensors were getting bad readings, either because they are bad or because the MAF is dirty, OR the worst case, the cats are dead. Fortunately the CEL cleared after a couple of days, so it appears that it was a spec of dirt. Not surprising since the car hasn't driven this much in years.

I think it is pulling better than before we left.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote