Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #3341

Garage
Spent a couple of hours cleaning the wheels and calipers for the Concours this coming weekend. Also swapped the amber marker lights out with clear ones. Also cleaned the mats.

I already treated the leather and plastic in the cabin.

Need to wash and wax the car later in the week.

The Concours is on Saturday and on Sunday I take the car to AX schools and get it dirty again.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #3342
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sounds great, Anker. Look forward to seeing you represent the 986 at Concours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #3343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six View Post
Well actually the parking brake switch didn't need to be removed. I did that because mine failed once and wanted to replace it rather than feel sorry for not replacing it. There is a connection to the center console glove box; don't forget to unplug it as it's small. I believe it's for security if you lock it and someone breaks in.

Also one thing I didn't see in the 101 projects book that you have to do here is remove a little plastic piece from the shifter assembly. It's on the very bottom where the cables run and if you don't remove it then it'll pull the cables out of the holder. I believe the piece is green in color but it just snaps out. Lastly I would recommend you shift through the gears after getting the cables installed. I probably went through all my gears 5+ times which is how I found out about the plastic piece that's in the way.

It was pretty straightforward and the 101 projects book was very helpful. You'll love the new feel. It is so smooth and tight!
Thank you very much! I am incredibly excited
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 AM   #3344
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I opened the top. 40 Degrees and sunny. After a week of clouds and rain, I thought it would be nice to drive to work with the top down. I think the whole neighborhood heard me swear at 6:45 am.

I've had a glass window top in storage for about a year. At least I know which car to put it in now.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-02-2017 at 05:04 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #3345

I've been carefully filling in paint chips using a toothpick for the last few days. I'm hoping to get them filled in higher than the surrounding paint, so I can wet sand them down to level and then polish the entire car. It's slow work, but I hope it will pay off.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #3346

Garage
What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
I've been carefully filling in paint chips using a toothpick for the last few days. I'm hoping to get them filled in higher than the surrounding paint, so I can wet sand them down to level and then polish the entire car. It's slow work, but I hope it will pay off.

Fridsten, can you post some photos after you are completed? I have to tackle this job too.

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #3347

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Fridsten, can you post some photos after you are completed? I have to tackle this job too.
Sure. Be patient, though. It will likely take a couple of weeks.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 AM   #3348

Garage
Quote:

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #3349

Quote:
Nice! Feel free to start a thread dedicated to this, if you get good results or figure something out worth educating us other Boxster owners about.

I touched up a few paint chips in my hood with the factory touch-up lacquer color coat only (not the clear). After thinking there were too many chips in the front bumper to do anything less than a full respray, somehow when the weather was nice and after the car was washed I found myself patiently dabbing touch-up paint into some for the millions of rock pips in the front bumper. I guess my initial thought was to just get the ones that stood out in color difference the most, and now "to even it out", I'll probably have to give it probably two more sessions of effort until I get the rest.

My plan to level the surface on the touched up paint chips, at least on the hood and on other areas where the reflections are more visible, is to use a carpro denim pad (https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Denim-Orange-Peel-Removal/dp/B00B1E43YS) with meguiar's M100 polishing compound (https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Speed-Compound/dp/B00AIYU148/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493775778&sr=1-1&keywords=Meguiars+m100).

Last edited by jakeru; 05-02-2017 at 05:53 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #3350

Installed replacement IMS bearing using LN Single Row Pro, then new clutch, pressure plate
Attached Images

Last edited by CBRacerX; 05-03-2017 at 01:44 PM.
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #3351

Garage
After several curse words, a few pairs of torn rubber gloves and a spent transom plug, the spark plugs and tubes are replaced. Seeing as today is the only good day in this week's forecast, I then replaced the entire interior carpet. Full day.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #3352

Garage
I installed the Toth gen2 ducktail spoiler. I think it looks great with the OEM AerokitII front bumper and side skirts, GT3tek rear diffuser, painted bumperettes, and turbo-style air intakes,,,, etc. (mods are addictive).
A nice addition to celebrate the 9th anniversary of buying the Boxster this Friday.

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #3353

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
I installed the Toth gen2 ducktail spoiler. I think it looks great with the OEM AerokitII front bumper and side skirts, GT3tek rear diffuser, painted bumperettes, and turbo-style air intakes,,,, etc. (mods are addictive).

A nice addition to celebrate the 9th anniversary of buying the Boxster this Friday.

Looks good! I received mine, but just haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Was it an easy install? Just tape right?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #3354
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Replaced my left side radiator and installed 'gutter guard' mesh to all 3 rad intakes. Start to finish just over 4 hours.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #3355

Dropped my battery off to get checked out and charged up. Waiting on my voltage regulator to show up so I can start that project.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #3356

Quote:
... GT3tek rear diffuser...
Can you still get to the bumperette access point underneath to install/remove the bumperettes?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #3357

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Looks good! I received mine, but just haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Was it an easy install? Just tape right?

Yes, easy install but be sure it is placed perfectly before the tape grabs,,, my method was to remove the liner for the tape that sticks to the top of the spoiler support, and attach duct tape strips to the liner for the 2 tape strips that stick to the front of the spoiler support. That way you can get the spoiler positioned and adhered with the first/top tape, then pull the liner strips for the other tape and adhere them. (first attempt, I pulled all 3 liner strips and it was hard to get the spoiler placed without the 2 tape strips for the front part sticking prematurely (luckily I could get it unstuck and try again)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #3358

Garage
Quote:
Yes, easy install but be sure it is placed perfectly before the tape grabs,,, my method was to remove the liner for the tape that sticks to the top of the spoiler support, and attach duct tape strips to the liner for the 2 tape strips that stick to the front of the spoiler support. That way you can get the spoiler positioned and adhered with the first/top tape, then pull the liner strips for the other tape and adhere them. (first attempt, I pulled all 3 liner strips and it was hard to get the spoiler placed without the 2 tape strips for the front part sticking prematurely (luckily I could get it unstuck and try again)

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #3359

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Can you still get to the bumperette access point underneath to install/remove the bumperettes?
Yes, rear diffuser does not interfere with bumperette mounting access. It's a really nice part.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #3360

Garage
Spring cleaning!

Washed, waxed, cleaned and polished. Ready for the PCA Zone 1 Concours on Saturday.

XC School on Sunday will dirty it up again.

Can't believe how many stone chips there are. Will have to work on them later.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote