Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #3241

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Out with old:
In with the new (to me):
Looking good Dulmer!

This afternoon I installed the Brey Krause R-2020 fire extinguisher mount. Captain Obvious' pro-tip. If you have manual seat tracks, raise the seat before removing so you can get that little pin out that holds the front hydraulic and get the new pin in that mounts the fire extinguisher mount. The most difficult part was figuring out how to disconnect the seat electrics for the back and heat. There is a guy who has a YouTube video on how to remove the seat. He shows the bolts in Part 1, then says he will show how the electrical connector easily comes apart in Part 2, but he only has Parts 1 and 3 still up on YouTube.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #3242

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Looking good Dulmer!

This afternoon I installed the Brey Krause R-2020 fire extinguisher mount. Captain Obvious' pro-tip. If you have manual seat tracks, raise the seat before removing so you can get that little pin out that holds the front hydraulic and get the new pin in that mounts the fire extinguisher mount. The most difficult part was figuring out how to disconnect the seat electrics for the back and heat. There is a guy who has a YouTube video on how to remove the seat. He shows the bolts in Part 1, then says he will show how the electrical connector easily comes apart in Part 2, but he only has Parts 1 and 3 still up on YouTube.

Thanks! Other benefit is it's much quieter inside now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #3243

I just won an eBay auction for a pair of red/clear Depo LED tail lights from Germany. I didn't really think I'd win and I might actually prefer to the smoke/red ones, but we'll see...
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #3244

Garage
Broke FUNTOY out of hibernation. Removed the battery minder, mothballs and mouse baits. Checked and adjusted the tire pressures and then took her out for a ride.

Spring has sprung!!!!!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #3245

Took receipt of this kit in the post today so am gonna tackle them this eve. Nice piece of kit. Good heavy aluminium casings too.
Since I can't do the fog light DRL hack (UK spec car) these will have to do. Got a question though..

Anyone have a suggestion as to which circuit I should tap into in the fusebox for a switched live?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Last edited by itskenallen; 04-03-2017 at 12:40 PM.
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #3246
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Broke FUNTOY out of hibernation. Removed the battery minder, mothballs and mouse baits. Checked and adjusted the tire pressures and then took her out for a ride.

Spring has sprung!!!!!
PLEASE do not use FUNTOY and BROKE in the same sentence.......
Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #3247
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I never will understand why some refer to their car as "Her".
Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #3248
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I never will understand why some refer to their car as "Her".
Would you rather go to town riding him, or riding her?
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #3249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Would you rather go to town riding him, or riding her?
"go to town" made me laugh harder than "riding him/ her". But it was a close second.

Yesterday I cleaned my wheels front and back, and successfully installed two (2) on to the passenger side of my vehicle!

Things move slow when you put all your shiny new lug nuts in the trunk, then remove the battery... alligator clamps... long piece of wire...
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #3250

Finally I fitted my Osram DRL's.
Must say I'm really pleased with them.

Last edited by itskenallen; 04-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #3251
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Looks great, Ken!

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #3252

Replaced drivers side door latch assembly. Both the inside and outside handles failed at the same time! Not sure how...
I had to pull interior door panel with door closed. I could certainly find the failure for the inside handle (frayed cable) but could not figure out why the outside handle failed.

All good now. Replaced with local used part for $70.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #3253

I got my other two wheels installed, car back on the ground and torqued the wheels on.

I also got some 3m strip caulk to seal the foam over the heater core, and started reassembly on that.
Got as far as the wiper motor and called it a night.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #3254
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Drove it to the office in anticipation of a top-down drive home.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #3255

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Looks great, Ken!

Cheers mate.

Particlewave I sent u a PM. 😉

Old 04-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #3256

Garage
Replaced the cruise control disengagement switch for the clutch. Made a number of discoveries:

1. You need to pull the plunger of the switch as far out as it will go before installing it. It is self-adjusting and if you don't do this it may not close properly after installation.

2. Related: The clutch return spring bracket is adjustable on models post 99. You loosen the three bolts holding the bracket and pull the clutch pedal towards the driver's seat and then tighten the bolts. Mine needed adjustment because there was some of play.

I did this because the cruise control was erratic. Turns out the problem wasn't a bad switch at all. I could have fixed the problem short term by simply pulling the plunger all the way out, and long term by removing the play from the clutch pedal by adjusting the bracket.

Live and learn!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #3257
Racer Boy

Today I replaced my CDR 220 (intermittent radio function, becoming less intermittent and more constant) with a new Pioneer stereo, and fixed my sticky-feeling throttle pedal.

The radio replacement was surprisingly easy, and the new Pioneer unit sounds so much better than the old Becker. A decent eBay Becker would have been around $300, but I'd be getting another 15 year-old stereo that is pretty obsolete. The new Pioneer was less than $100 from Crutchfield with radio removal tools and wiring adaptors, so it was an easy decision to make.

The throttle had a very high "stiction" feeling to it, so I removed and disassembled the pedal assembly and cleaned and lubed everything. It feels like a normal throttle now! That is something that has always bothered me about my Boxster ever since I got it, so it's a great feeling to take care of that issue.

Bit-by-bit, I'm getting my $4500 986 into shape! :dance:
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:19 AM   #3258

Garage
Replaced the sun visors what had the common broken off door problem with ones that have intact doors. Was pleased to see that they both light up when you open the doors. Need to cleaned.

Much less pleasant was adjusting the clutch pedal return spring. Took the heating duct out that partially blocks the view of the bracket and was able to loosen 2 out of the three bolts, but the last one I simply couldn't get a wrench on, socket or open ended, even though the open ended are thin. Finally resorted to brute force and was able to move the bracket against the resistance of the last bolt. Got all of the play out and then took the car out for a test drive. Cruise control worked perfectly.

Oh, another little thorn in the ointment. Took the cruise control switch out to improve visibility. When I put it in again I managed to open the switch and the spring fell out. Not obvious how to reassemble it again, but fortunately the old switch showed me how. Next time I have to remember to turn on the black part of the switch, not the red.

Then off to Porsches and Coffee in Tiverton RI.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #3259

Stalled

I stalled my 07 for the first time backing it in the garage. It seemed very reluctant to re-start. It seemed almost as it it had gone out of time, working against itself. After a few tries, it started and ran fine.
Have only owned it for a week. Any thoughts from you veteran owners. Thanks.
Apollomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #3260

Left it in the garage, took the new member of the fleet on its first road trip instead...

Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote