Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #281
still plays with cars...

Garage
Sleepytime

Got this done today in preparation for trans fluid flush, GBox detent installation and brake fluid flush. While I'm in there, I 'll check waterpump bearing, all the other pullies and fluid levels. Coolant flush (hopefully) in the spring.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #282
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Got this done today in preparation for trans fluid flush, GBox detent installation and brake fluid flush. While I'm in there, I 'll check waterpump bearing, all the other pullies and fluid levels. Coolant flush (hopefully) in the spring.
Nice looking jacks. Do they fit in the slots okay or what do you use to safely put in the jacking points? Where do the jacks come from ?Thanx in advance!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #283
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Nice looking jacks. Do they fit in the slots okay or what do you use to safely put in the jacking points? Where do the jacks come from ?Thanx in advance!
I got them at Princess Auto many moons ago. They are 6-ton capacity and can get Udo 2+ feet in the air. They have the standard crook like most other jackstands.
I just position them carefully so the jackpoint on the car is nestled in the crook of the jackstand. Once Udo's weight is on those jackstands, he's going nowhere until I put him back on the ground.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #284

Garage
To bed for the winter

Took the Boxster for a spirited drive with the top down, then put her to bed:
  • Washed
  • Vacuumed
  • Up on jack stands
  • On the battery tender
  • Cover on

Let's hope this winter is short. I miss driving her already!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #285

replaced door lock mechanism (PITA) I got to the removal and realized the bolts are not torx. I wasted hours running from store to store looking for the triple square bit. I finally found them at Pep Boys.

used the emergency frunk release for the first time. I closed the frunk while the battery was disconnected.

installed new climate control lcd
moved climate control to above stereo position
0bserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #286

Garage
Just got done repainting the console & fixing the loose connector in the left headlight, fogs work now!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #287
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I don't want to start a heated debate, but I've heard that putting the car on jackstands is really bad for the suspension...?

Personally, I just go out and push the car forward or backward a couple feet once a week or so. Opinions?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #288

Garage
End of last week received my ModuleMaster LCD repair kit and made the fix. Finally I can see what the hell is happening when I'm pushing the buttons. I'm amazed for $61 with shipping that the fix could be made to a P-car
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #289
Ex Esso kid

Pwave, It's not great for the car to leave it on stands, especially when contrasted against flatting a set of tires. I used to leave the 986 in the air, never noticed one bit of difference but after reading several articles I put the Spyder tires at 50 psi and left it sitting on them.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #290

Garage
I Googled the topic, and read enough to raise a concern. Tires are on the garage floor as of 15 minutes ago. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #291
still plays with cars...

Garage
Up in the air isn't necessary and is hard on suspension components and driveline bearings, at least it was in my case once.
Udo is going back on the floor after tinkering is done.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #292
jakesbox

Tried to sell it on ebay with no luck. Still looking to sell!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #293

After several unsuccessful attempts over the last week to re-seat the female headlight socket on the headlight tray tower, I went at it one more time.

First, I removed the driver wheel well liner and discovered it's attached with far more fasteners in the bumper cover area than I expected. Once removed, this gave me a view of the item attached to the tower. It also allowed me to see what the mystery cable was attached It was the window washer tube and I saw how to detach it from the tower.

After re-installing the liner, I removed the litronic headlamp unit and then the headlight tray off its base. I was able to pull it a couple of inches forward. While I wasn't able to take off the yellow clip that holds the female socket in the tower, I did manage to re-seat it so the socket didn't move.

Afterward, I went for a two hour test drive around town to see if the low beam would stay on. So far so good. After highway and city street driving with at least five stops at stores along the way, the low beam stayed lit. I was able to see this by watching their reflection in cars ahead of me.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I solved the problem
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #294

Garage
As I was getting my Boxster ready for the MN winter hibernation with an oil change and other checks, I finally installed the Top Speed cat bypass pipes I bought last Spring. They sound great, and now I am kicking myself for not doing in months ago because I have to wait another 4 months or so to get it back on the road and run it through the gears. I guess that gives me something to look forward to,,,
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #295

My son and I made a quick movie..
Daddys Toy - YouTube
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #296

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deptotpr View Post
My son and I made a quick movie..
Daddys Toy - YouTube
Great movie
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #297
Carnut

I just drove today to work, that's all......
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #298

I cleaned the debris from between my radiators and condensers. I was amazed by how much was there. Before the temperature guage was on the left quarter of the 0 in 180. Now the cars runs middle to left side of the 8. That's a noticeable difference.

Here's a look at debris that accumulated over 11 years...
Attached Images

Last edited by thom4782; 12-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #299

Garage
I have been trying to buy a set of 03-04 Carrera II 18" liteweight wheels since I bought my 2000 Box in 2003. Finally bought a set & cleaned them today. :dance:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #300

I changed both Hi/Lo beams bulbs on my 1999 base. I noticed Thursday one was burned out. very simple job.

springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote