Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #241
Vista glass

Garage
Time well spent

I had a few days off finally. Solved CEL for emissions control.Thanks for the postings on that issue. Major cleanup . Did the top with 303 this time to compare to rag top. Clay bar, Swirl remover Finishing glaze, coat of black color match wax, whew! Did the tow eye release cable. Thanks for the great posts on that. Took both front wheels off cleaned and painted rotor head and calipers and lug bolts. Thanks for the posts on that too. Rear wheels are next once I get the wheel locks off and throw them into a well. I think they are welded on. I have read the solutions here and will apply the knowledge when I have replacement lug bolts on hand. Search engine thanks again. Beautiful weather here. I went for a topdown drive to check bolt torque. Took almost 80 miles to be assured all was well.It runs like a scalded dog and looks like a Victoria's secret model.

Let the good times roll!

Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #242

Garage
Will do as soon as paint is done... I had done a trial fit before i took it in for paint and it fit like a glove... but i will post pics once its done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
Be sure to post some pictures of that diffuser once you get it installed. I have been thinking about it since it came out. Let us know if it fit without trimming/modification.

As for today, I took my daughter to school this AM in the Boxster. Top was up at 25deg, but it will be down this weekend as we are supposed to hit 50!
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #243
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Installed the short shifter. Took a couple of hours and got the cables back in place perfectly.

Went for a nice drive, felt strange at first but after a half hour I love it.
Nice close pattern now, it feels great.

The old shifter in NOT going back on...

Shout out to Meir for taking my call, thanks for letting me bounce a install question off of you..

Anyone considering this mod, take your time and make sure you mark the cable positions with a marker prior to removal. I even took digital pictures to refer to to make sure.

T
Enjoying the new shift, feels great..:dance:
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #244
Certified Boxster Addict

Wash and vaccum. Checked everything over. Ready for a practice day on Friday at Willow Springs Big track.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #245

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista glass View Post
I had a few days off finally. Solved CEL for emissions control.Thanks for the postings on that issue. Major cleanup . Did the top with 303 this time to compare to rag top. Clay bar, Swirl remover Finishing glaze, coat of black color match wax, whew! Did the tow eye release cable. Thanks for the great posts on that. Took both front wheels off cleaned and painted rotor head and calipers and lug bolts. Thanks for the posts on that too. Rear wheels are next once I get the wheel locks off and throw them into a well. I think they are welded on. I have read the solutions here and will apply the knowledge when I have replacement lug bolts on hand. Search engine thanks again. Beautiful weather here. I went for a topdown drive to check bolt torque. Took almost 80 miles to be assured all was well.It runs like a scalded dog and looks like a Victoria's secret model.

Let the good times roll!
Looks fantastic!!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #246
1999 base

Garage
Spent another 2 hours, trying to figure out how to add LED bulbs to my DEPO rear lights.
After slicing, cutting, adding relays, adding load resistors.....
I found out the polarity in my car is reversed
No way of having a standard LED bulb to work, without totally rewireng the whole assembly.
So I ended up fixing my neighbor convertible top, and relplaced the rubber trim on my aftermarket speedster humps.
Enjoyed my day after all
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #247

Garage
November Ohio sunshine

We went for a drive down Riverview road from Brecksville down to Akron. It's a nice scenic road that parallels the Ohio and Erie canal most of the way. We stopped at an estate sale and found several boxes of wine bottles. We just looked into making wine and needed the bottles. It's amazing how many bottles will fit in the 986 trunks.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #248

Garage
Had to run a few errands this morning, and for no good reason other than I want to drive it as much as possible before the snow flies, I took the Boxster. Everything was great until I was approaching a right hand turn from the right lane on a 4 lane street (2 lanes each direction).

The driver of an SUV traveling in the same direction but in the left lane lost interest in staying in her lane and abruptly moved into mine. I was about four feet from her rear bumper and gaining on her at the time. No turn signal, nothing - just turned into my path.

Hit the brakes hard and swerved. She must have glanced in her outside mirror as she made her move, because she abruptly swerved back into her lane as I was skidding to a stop.

It was close. I gathered myself, drove past her, and made my turn. Never - ever - forget to drive defensively!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #249

I tore into my first Boxster for the first time today. Its new to me with 79k on the clock so I though I should give it a good once over.

This is my first mid engine car owning/working on. I accessed the engine for the first time today wich was a bit of a dance but thanks to my 101 book I got through it.

While I had the engine cover off I sprayed some orange cleaner and give it all a good wipe. I checked the air cleaner. Cleaned the intake tubes and throttle body, which was gunked up. Installed new oil cooler o-rings.

I climbed under and installed a new engine mount. I left the dust covers off accidently, hopefully not a big deal. While I was under I tracked down a heat shield rattle.

I installed clear side markers.Popped the headlights out to troubleshoot dim lights.Popped out the headlight switch from the dash. I have to order a new one.

I have to say this is a fun car to work on and very well made. all in all a productive weekend. I've got some parts to order and I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Last edited by 0bserver; 11-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
0bserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #250

Cracked a rim today Result a blown tire on a motorway thank god I was in the slow lane I'd hate to think what would have happened if I was in the fast lane.

Last edited by More; 11-19-2012 at 01:06 AM.
More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #251

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bserver View Post
I tore into my first Boxster for the first time today. Its new to me with 79k on the clock so I though I should give it a good once over.

This is my first mid engine car owning/working on. I accessed the engine for the first time today wich was a bit of a dance but thanks to my 101 book I got through it.

While I had the engine cover off I sprayed some orange cleaner and give it all a good wipe. I checked the air cleaner. Cleaned the intake tubes and throttle body, which was gunked up. Installed new oil cooler o-rings.

I climbed under and installed a new engine mount. I left the dust covers off accidently, hopefully not a big deal. While I was under I tracked down a heat shield rattle.

I installed clear side markers.Popped the headlights out to troubleshoot dim lights.Popped out the headlight switch from the dash. I have to order a new one.

I have to say this is a fun car to work on and very well made. all in all a productive weekend. I've got some parts to order and I'm looking forward to next weekend.

From rem503,
Sounds like you had an great time! Nice job. For how buried the engine is on this car, it is amazingly not that hard to do many repairs. The spark plugs on my 4 cyl Ford Ranger were more difficult.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #252

Texas Toll Road

Just arrived in TX for the F1.

Last edited by schnellman; 11-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #253

I bought myself some new Porsche Wheels and 19* Inch Michelin Tires.
To make up for a cracked rim and blown tire I had a few days ago.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #254

Put on my hardtop yesterday morning. Later regretted it when the sun was shining and the temperature here (Pittsburgh, PA) was in the low 60s.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #255

Took to mechanic for Thanksgiving Day CEL.........
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #256
Certified Boxster Addict

Spent the day racing at Willow Springs Big track. Perfect day - clear, sunny, 75F, light wind, and all of the track time I wanted.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #257

thank pro huong dan tiep nhe..
nguyenvao525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #258
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
I bought myself some new Porsche Wheels and 19* Inch Michelin Tires.
To make up for a cracked rim and blown tire I had a few days ago.

I think that those new wheels look much better than the older ones. Nice look!
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #259
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
I think that those new wheels look much better than the older ones. Nice look!
+1 Excellent choice, mate!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #260
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtheogioS View Post
Cam on ban da post bai, chuc mot tuan moi vui ve va hanh phuc.
Dien dan chung ta se ngay mot manh me hon.

Maybe you should go do this to yourself Mr spammer

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote