Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

A/C quit

I have a 2000S and my A/C quit on me and I would like to get it fixed. The symptom is that air will blow and I can still adjust the power setting but it just won't be cold. This happened a while ago and I tried to fix it (even buying the refill which I still have) but never came to fruition. I measured the high and low values back then and now they are probably different. What is the best way to first diagnose this issue? Also, is it the type of thing that would be easier for somebody else to do and if so, shop or stealership? Thanks.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
from your description it looks like you have a leak in the system, or the compressor is bad.
charge up the system with new Freon and oil. the AC should work for some time, if you have a leak. if the compressor is bad, it will not blow cold air at all.
i recommend going to a shop that can charge the system with the correct stuff and help you diagnose the problem (that's what i did). they can add the "glowing" liquid to help locate the source of the leak.
once the problem is located (leak or compressor), you will have to evacuate the system, and replace the defected parts.
if its a leak, it will probably coming from one of the o-rings/lines.
in my case it was from the evaporator. not an easy fix, but doable.
look at my previous post on that matter.
AC question
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

So cars have many similarities with the A/C systems? I saw a guy today who had a truck he was next to that advertised his a/c business and I took the opportunity to ask him about it. He said he charges $35 for a diagnostic and will discount the cost of repairs with that if I opt to go with him. Does this seem reasonable?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5 View Post
So cars have many similarities with the A/C systems? I saw a guy today who had a truck he was next to that advertised his a/c business and I took the opportunity to ask him about it. He said he charges $35 for a diagnostic and will discount the cost of repairs with that if I opt to go with him. Does this seem reasonable?
sounds fair enough.
the AC system in the boxster is build from the same exact components as any other car.
the cost for the parts is the diference
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Only problem I had was checking the compressor clutch because I couldn't see if it was activating. Maybe if someone could post a pic, but the problem I face is a consequence of the mid engine.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

I turned the AC on after a week in the garage with no cold air flowing. I started pushing buttons to get things going and still no cold air. SO............. I shut the AC , fan and cold symbol down and waited 60 seconds and re-directed the control unit to cool. Every system worked !!! Cold air !!! I think it was me pushing buttons that I do not do very often and confused not only the AC system but ME. Hope this is your problem also.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Only problem I had was checking the compressor clutch because I couldn't see if it was activating. Maybe if someone could post a pic, but the problem I face is a consequence of the mid engine.
It is very simple to get a view of the compressor.
Just remove the cover behind your seats (remove storage box, carpet and metal panel).
The compressor will be on your right.
Read this:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Drive Belt Replacement - 986 / 987
However, take in mind that if the system is empty ( no freon ), the compressor clutch will not engage.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #8

I went to a shop today and was told that my compressor had locked up. I even saw that the inside metal circular piece was misaligned with the outside metal circular piece (not sure if that makes sense the way I'm saying it). He told me because of how fried it looked that there was probably metal pieces in the system and that I need a new compressor, expander, and dryer. Does this sound right? He told me it would be better to get the parts myself and then he would charge $470 to do all labor.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
SoK

try recharging it first, it's only $40 or so. Go pick up a bottle from autozone or whatever and follow the guides that can be found via google or this website. it's basically running the car for a few minutes with the AC on and the fan at full speed, plugging in the pressure guage and charging to the propper pressure. anyone can do it, it's very easy. Check the guide on pelican parts. worked great for me, i recharged my 2001 back in april or may and it's blowing ice cold still.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

I saw the compressor myself. It is definitely not aligned right and looks like it is no longer usable. I feel confident in that mechanics advice too. He didn't even charge me anything after everything was said and done.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
SoK

that's good, I always have a tough time trusting mechanics in my area, so if you trust them, it sounds like you might have found someone to use down the road.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
I went to a shop today and was told that my compressor had locked up. I even saw that the inside metal circular piece was misaligned with the outside metal circular piece (not sure if that makes sense the way I'm saying it). He told me because of how fried it looked that there was probably metal pieces in the system and that I need a new compressor, expander, and dryer. Does this sound right? He told me it would be better to get the parts myself and then he would charge $470 to do all labor.

look for a used compressor on line, and buy a new dryer (relatively cheap).
the price for the job sound fair enough.
i paid 260$ for evacuation and recharge of the system, so additional 200 for the whole job is not that bad. (assuming Freon,AC oil and O-rings are included in the price).