Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

how program new key for boxter ?

hi, i have porche boxter i need to program new key remote how can i program it ,and how can i release the pin code ?

josephkourieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

You can't; you need to program the car to accept the key, and that requires a PIWIS unit (dealer's computer). That will also require the IPAS codes.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Garage
I am in exactly the same position. Also can a used key fob be reprogrammed for another car (obviously with a replacement key part)
Cheers
Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

The only way for a remote to be programmed to a car is for the dealer to do it, and you must have the serial number code for the key. There is no other way involving turning on, of, closing doors, doing rain dance etc, it has to be done via the programming computer, and they need to have the code that goes with that remote.

If you buy a used remote, it should have a tag on it with the necessary numbers like shown below. In the 3 weeks since I got my car, I have looked everywhere to find out about this since my existing remote no longer works with the car for some reason.

[IMG]http://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/REMOTECONTROL8.jpg[/IMG]
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Garage
Mike,
Any idea how much dealers charge for the reprogramming of a key?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34 View Post
Mike,
Depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. If you're a regular customer and know the service writer by name, you might get it free. If you've never been there before, expect $100+ and be happy if its less.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34 View Post
Mike,
I've read that people have gotten it done for free, all the way up to $250.

Unfortunately you're kind of stuck going to them.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8

Garage
I only have the one key and about two months ago, it lost communication with the car. I actually have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to have the key reprogrammed. I do NOT have the original tag that came with the key, so I will keep you guys posted on what they said. They want the standard rate of $130.00 per hour. They said if the key can be reprogrammed, then that would be covered in the $130.00 fee.
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986 View Post
I only have the one key and about two months ago, it lost communication with the car. I actually have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to have the key reprogrammed. I do NOT have the original tag that came with the key, so I will keep you guys posted on what they said. They want the standard rate of $130.00 per hour. They said if the key can be reprogrammed, then that would be covered in the $130.00 fee.
Definitely let us know. I also have my original key that has lost programming, but does not have the code with it. Maybe the original key gets stored in some location they are able to reactivate it?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
FYI:
I only got one key with the car from the previous owner.
While it had 3 buttons, upon inspection of the battery the electronics inside was missing.
It cost me $336 including tax from the dealer.

(1) Part # 986-637-244-18 Key Head W.C. $177.18
Labor 1 hour $176.00
Labor included a multi point inspection on the car since they were charging 1 hour labor. (My post PPI)

So if you can acquire the key head with code, you may only get charged for 1 hour labor to program it to your car.

Having owned a Mercedes, I knew this would be in the 300 dollar range before I even called them.

Bottom line is the programming has to be done by the dealer.

Hope this helps
T
Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986 View Post
I only got one key when I bought my car also. I went to the dealer and got a new key programmed to use as a spare. Kept it at home and never used it. About a two years later, my original key's button cover kept coming loose, so I got the new key out to use. I figured that since I paid $346.17 for it, I might as well get some use out of it. Two months later, it quit working. Tried a new battery and all the other "fixes" I found on the forum, but nothing worked. The old key still worked fine. Took the new key back to the dealer, since it was for all practical purposes still new, but they said there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty and I didn't have the tag with the code on it. Solved the problem by taking the electronics out of the old key and swapping it into the new key case.
If you have to buy a new key, make sure you get the code tag that comes with it, in case the car loses the programming. The dealer typically does not give this to you when you buy a new key. Something about it being a security issue. You will need the tag with the key code to attempt any reprogramming in the future. If they won't give you the tag, then find a dealer that will. They just want you to keep buying $350 keys every few years.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Garage
Ok, so I returned from the dealer a very happy man today. Mike, your are absolutely correct. If the key loses its communication with the car to lock the doors and open the trunks, you DO NEED to have the card with the code for them to reprogram the key. I had to purchase a new key head for 187.22 and one hour of labor to program it for 109.99 Price of new working key, $ 297.21 It's been a couple of months since I have had to use the key to open the door and quickly put the key in the ignition before the ten second time limit then reach across the passenger door and pull the handle twice and that was really starting to su*k! (I also hated when my wife and I would return to the car and I would have to unlock my side with the key, and get in first while she is still standing outside, and sit down and then open the door for her. It made me look like an inconsiderate jerk, I always open the door for my female passengers first and then close it behind them). Those days are over!! Also the key came with a two year warranty which covers reprogramming for no charge. I did request the new key card with the code, and the dealer had already placed it in the center console. Also, had the tires road force balanced for 79.95. Worth every penny. Took the car up to 108 and no vibrations at all. Today was a good day!

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how program new key