Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Plastic Window Polishing

I've been using Plastic X by Meguires but have some pesty white spots I cant seem to remove. Any suggestions?
Has anybody replaced just the window? My top is in great shape as it's not needing a replacement as of yet.

Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

An upholsterer will tell you that the labor of replacing the window is the same as replacing the entire top because it must be removed in order to sew in another window. I recently swapped my top out for one with a glass window and the difference is unbelievable.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Kaili <3

Garage
While we are talking about plastics, and making them look nice, my instrument cluster is fogging, is there anything good for fixing that?

I'd think replacing the back window would be a pain. Restoration should be the first step since it's the easiest and least expensive option. But if you do have to replace it, I agree with jesseborgelt, get a glass one.
shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Plexus to clean and condition. Renovo to polish out stains. Plexus should get most of it out.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Yikes! I didn't know they have to remove the top! I have to wait a few more years to get to that level and more likely will have bought something either newer (or older) by then.
I think the window is salvageable , just needs a sound polish. I've given it two zaps of Polish X and those darn spots remain.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

I paid nearly $400 to have my plastic window replaced. I kept the black canvas in too good of a condition to eat $1500 for a glass top upgrade. Maybe later, I'd rather put that towards shocks, tires, etc.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #7

I have the Novus product that comes in several abrasive grades that is used for polishing/restoring head lights etc.

I have used the fine grade on my sunglasses to try and polish out some scratches and it does a good job, although the coarser abrasive would probably be quicker.

For about $20 you can get the kit with 2 abrasive grades and a non abrasive conditioner. NOVUS Plastic Polish

That should work for rear windows, headlights, guages etc.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Another good product is 210 plastic cleaner and polish from Sumner Laboratories, inc. Sumner Laboratories Inc - Home for more information.

I use one of those triangle shaped window cleaners covered with foam and a fitted micro fiber towel to reach the inside. Pull both seats forward as far as possible. Make sure the screens are removed from the seat hoops and wind blocker from between them so as to allow more access. Being short I was able to squeeze in behind the seats and reach the plastic with a hand foam polisher along with the one mentioned above. This may be a time to press the younger members of the family into service and have them squeeze in to do the inside job.

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote