Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Very scary knocking sound from back of the car

Just had the worst day ever, first some **************************** stabbed my plastic window with a knife (knife left inside of car) when parked outside work.

Then on my way home after a while i heard a knocking sound from the back of the car, sounded like it came from the right back wheel and the rythm followed the rotation of the wheel.

Driving slow - KNOCK.....KNOCK......KNOCK
Driving fast - KNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCK

Since it sounded from the rotation of the wheel and not the engine RPM I felt like i could drive the last way home.

Had it in the garage a couple of hours and then was gonna show my dad the sound and it was silent. Drove around for a while to se if it sounded while being hot and sure soon enought it started.

Now to the scary part, found out that the the sound only exists if i have a gear in, if the car is moving in neutral there is no sound...

As soon i found out I turned it of and pushed it up the driveway.

Don't know if the information i gave here is good enougt, but what can it be that sounds only when in gear and when the car is hot? clutch, gearbox, IMS? flywheel?

Any idéa of how broke i will get fixing this?

Manual 986 from 1998

Last edited by tobiasr; 08-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
tobiasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Is it a manual or automatic transmission?
What Year car?

From what I have been reading the Manual transmissions are fairly reliable and robust but the automatics may have had a bit of problems in some cases.

Automatic will be expensive and manual not quite so much usually.

Sorry for the bad luck.
Take the knife to the police station for finger print matching, file a police report on the damage sustained including that the transmission is now damaged and then see if your insurance covers transmission damage due to vandalism

With a bit of luck the vandal may have saved you the cost of repairing the transmission on your own dime since he broke in to your vehicle and did who knows what to damage the transmission.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Can you check your transmission mounts? There's one on each side. Is car manual or tip?
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Is it a manual or automatic transmission?
What Year car?

From what I have been reading the Manual transmissions are fairly reliable and robust but the automatics may have had a bit of problems in some cases.

Automatic will be expensive and manual not quite so much usually.

Sorry for the bad luck.
Take the knife to the police station for finger print matching, file a police report on the damage sustained including that the transmission is now damaged and then see if your insurance covers transmission damage due to vandalism

With a bit of luck the vandal may have saved you the cost of repairing the transmission on your own dime since he broke in to your vehicle and did who knows what to damage the transmission.

Manual 986 from 1998, think it will be hard getting a stabbed plastic window to cover any engine reparis since he never was in the car.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Are you sure its from the wheel? A failing serpentine belt can be intermittent and causes a knocking noise as it will be slipping on and off the pulleys. I suggest you have a look at the belt. Generally it fails around 60k miles.
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

i guess the hooker wasn't dead after all ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene525d View Post
Are you sure its from the wheel? A failing serpentine belt can be intermittent and causes a knocking noise as it will be slipping on and off the pulleys. I suggest you have a look at the belt. Generally it fails around 60k miles.
I dont think it was the wheel anymore since it only sounds when i have a gear engaged, changed serbetine belt a year ago and have gone 50k, will take a look on that! But does it make sense that is only sounds when hot and gear in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
what? Oh now i get it

Last edited by tobiasr; 08-27-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Speed sensitive knock (one that increases frequency with vehicle velocity not a raise in engine revolutions) is likely rotational, in other words CV joint, wheel bearing, rotor pad, tire wheel.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

is it anything like what i experienced?

slow cruising:
constant noise 2 - YouTube

driving "at speed":
boxster constant noise from brakes - YouTube
Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I doubt a hooker would fit, even in the front trunk. Well, maybe if it was a midget hooker. However, how about a trunk monkey?

Trunk Monkey Compilation - YouTube
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
is it anything like what i experienced?

slow cruising:
constant noise 2 - YouTube

driving "at speed":
boxster constant noise from brakes - YouTube
Sounds like the first video, any idéa what that was?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #12

for me:

there is an e-brake cable on the driver's side that was ziptied down to the control arm. the ziptie broke allowing the wheel (which had the wheel weights on the inside of the wheel) to hit the line. everytime it came around i got a "fwapp". put a new ziptie and all was well.

get down on the ground and look.

there's also a clip you can get to negate the need of zip ties
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=OEM-99965123002&catalog_description=Genuine%20Porsche%20Part%3A%20 CABLE%20HOLDER

Last edited by tonycarreon; 08-27-2012 at 12:42 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #13

Start checking the cheapest stuff first like the transmission mounts, rotors and CV/axle joints, or tire damage on the inside walls while your under there.

Once those are eliminated it will be much cleared whether its the transmission or not.

Transmission is not that likely unless somesone have been abusing it, but CV joints could be especially if the rubber boots have holes and letting abrasive material into that area.
Wheel bearings are another more common possibility.

Bar10dah: Love that Trunk Monkey, laughed for a good 5 minutes.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #14

I've got a bill staring at me on my desk for $7,600 to replace my Tip transmission ('00 base w/ Tip. 74k miles). Hope this isn't the situation you're in.

If you put it in gear up on jack stands (not that safe I know, but if done with car, can be done), have some put it into gear and check out the offending wheel more closely. Maybe take the wheel off and see if it still does it (again, on jack stands).
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Check the CV joints next.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 08-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #16

To follow this up, after a long time i finally got my mechanic to come out and check on it, he saw not visual damage on the CV joints or any other place, we started the car and drove around for a while.

Took about 20 minutes of driving for the sound to start, and he figured it only logical to be a cv joint, and the sound was when the joint was under load (engine breaking/acceleration), if having gear in but keeping speed it was silence, just as having no gear in (hope that you understand what i mean).

Will drive it to his workshop next week and he will take a better look and change what has to be changed.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
DIY extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
I've got a bill staring at me on my desk for $7,600 to replace my Tip transmission ('00 base w/ Tip. 74k miles). Hope this isn't the situation you're in.

If you put it in gear up on jack stands (not that safe I know, but if done with car, can be done), have some put it into gear and check out the offending wheel more closely. Maybe take the wheel off and see if it still does it (again, on jack stands).
sounds like a lot for a trans... $2700 was my cost to rebuild on a 6 speed, are tips that much more?
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #18

It was about $4600 for the rebuild itself (a VERY thorough rebuild with new pump and everything), new coolant, labor, freight to ship transmission to CT, diagnostics, etc.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #19

Update on the story, my mechanic just called me and told me he checked on it today, found nothing on the joints and drove for an hour without any sound this time.

Don't know what to do, since my gearbox first to second gear is often very hard to get in, maybe i should get it to some company with gearbox expertise and see if they know what it can be?

Going to go totally insane soon if this doesn't get fixed, hard to sleep well when something is wrong -_-