Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Key Problem

I just bought a 00' Boxster 2.7. The buttons on the key fob do not seem to work even though the red light on the fob flashes when I press them so I have been using the key to lock and unlock the doors. However when I go to unlock the doors with the key usually only the drivers door will unlock and the alarm will not disarm meaning I have to disarm it by putting the key in the ignition and then open the passenger door from the inside. I am wondering am I missing something or am I going to have a major problem with my doors/alarm some day soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I assumed you changed the 2032 battery in the remote...
Try checking your fuses..
I think it's E1

Last edited by tony_fury; 07-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.
tony_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Tony, thanks for your reply.

When you say check my fuses what exactly do you mean? How would I tell if one of them is fried? Im am pretty novice when it comes to this.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circles View Post
Tony, thanks for your reply.

When you say check my fuses what exactly do you mean? How would I tell if one of them is fried? Im am pretty novice when it comes to this.

Thanks
There is a panel on the drivers side floor on the left. It has a cover to access all the fuses.
inside the cover once opened, there is a booklet that has all the fuse designations. (Written in multiple languages.)
It designates the Fuse Rows by A, B, C, D, E etc.. Columns are designated 1 thru 10
(There is a fuse puller plastic tool in a spare holder)

When you pull out the fuse, you should see a Z shaped bar inside the plastic fuse. If the Z is broken then the fuse is blown.
there should also be spare fuses stored as well.
15A = 15 amp Blue in color

T
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Also, I have noticed that if i lock the door and then immediately unlock it it works as it should. But if I leave it for a few minutes it will function as described in my first post.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
There is a panel on the drivers side floor on the left. It has a cover to access all the fuses.
inside the cover once opened, there is a booklet that has all the fuse designations. (Written in multiple languages.)
It designates the Fuse Rows by A, B, C, D, E etc.. Columns are designated 1 thru 10
(There is a fuse puller plastic tool in a spare holder)

When you pull out the fuse, you should see a Z shaped bar inside the plastic fuse. If the Z is broken then the fuse is blown.
there should also be spare fuses stored as well.
15A = 15 amp Blue in color

T
Thanks, tony. I will give this a look in the morning.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #7

I tried pulling the alarm fuses, they seemed to be intact. And when I pulled one of them the alarm sounded for about a minute and wouldn't turn off until it had run its course. Also none of the alarm other items listed with the alarm/cl fuses are having any trouble ie. power windows, radio. I have also checked under the driver seat for damp and there doesn't seem to be any. Not really sure what the next port of call is.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
I tried pulling the alarm fuses, they seemed to be intact. And when I pulled one of them the alarm sounded for about a minute and wouldn't turn off until it had run its course. Also none of the alarm other items listed with the alarm/cl fuses are having any trouble ie. power windows, radio. I have also checked under the driver seat for damp and there doesn't seem to be any. Not really sure what the next port of call is.
Not sure what the problem may be at this point.
The car is equipped with what is know as "Remote-control standby"
If the car is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 5 days, the remote control standby function is switched off to prevent running down the battery.
If this is the case you have to open the car with the key in the driver's door lock.
You then have 10 seconds to switch the ignition on to reactivate the remote control.
If you unlock the car with the key in the door lock, you must switch the ignition on within 10 seconds.

If there is a defect in the central locking system, a double horn signal during locking is heard.

There is a emergency operation where you turn the key in the drivers lock 3 times in succession and it will switch the alarm on and it deactivates the passenger compartment monitoring system.

Remote Lock Indications:
Unlocking - single flash of the emergency flasher lights
Locking - double flash
Locking twice - continuous lights for 2 seconds and a short horn signal

Hope this helps..
Tony
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #9

Thanks Tony

I am beginning to think that the standby mode is turning on after about 5 minutes not 5 days. If i get out of the car and lock it then unlock it straight away it all works as it should.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Tony

I am beginning to think that the standby mode is turning on after about 5 minutes not 5 days. If i get out of the car and lock it then unlock it straight away it all works as it should.
It sounds like that is happening.
If the car is unlocked with the remote and the doors are not opened, it will auto re-lock in 60 seconds. My understanding this timing can be programmed from 4 to 120 seconds by the dealer.

I do know if any of the doors, trunk lids, storage compartment, are not completely close the alarm horn will sound every time you arm the car with the remote.

If it was me, I would disconnect the battery for several minutes and reconnect and see if it clears it up.
The only problem with that is having to re-enter the radio code from disconnecting the battery. Hopefully you have that code in your owners manual.

if you don't have your radio code, you can submit your radio type and serial number in the RennTech.org Forums and they will reply with the proper code.
See link:Lost Radio Code - post your request here - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

Good luck.
Tony
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #11

Garage
Hi guys,

I'm just a new proud owner of a Boxter 986 MY00, 2.7L but I have to admit I do not know much about this piece of marvel and that's why I joined this forum. So, if you do not mind a stupid question, do all models come with remote central locking? My key has got only one button and when I press it, a tiny LED light on the key flickers a bit dim. No remote locking is available of course, but other than that, I've got no issues with locking and unlocking the doors using the key, from both driver's and passenger's seat. Any help and info would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot to all guys and congrats and good job to the admins and mods on the forums.

Cheers from down under ;-)
bobbyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #12

One point in your note caught my attention. It was the one where you said that the passenger side door wont lock or unlock. Maybe there is a locking sensor problem in the passenger door. If after trying all of Tony_fury's suggestions, you might want to drive the car to a local AutoZone and ask them to check the fault codes.

The central locking system is complex and it has many sensors. It's possible that one of your sensors isn't working properly. When this happens you can get all sorts of intermittent behaviors. If any fault codes appear, they will give you a indication of what might be wrong.

Mine 01S acted up intermittently with all sort of symptoms. It had multiple fault codes and I had to go to the dealer to have it test the various central locking system components using the Porsche System tester. It was a bad passenger door latch mechanism.

Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
pjv

Garage
Welcome to 986forum bobbyg. This is a great forum, very friendly and helpful people, so you will be happy you joined it. As for your key problem, I think the earlier posts on this topic cover things pretty well, but I would first try a new battery in the key fob - it is easy to change. As far as I know, all Boxsters have remote central locking. My key has 3 buttons, but then it is a later model than yours. Hope that helps.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv View Post
Welcome to 986forum bobbyg. This is a great forum, very friendly and helpful people, so you will be happy you joined it. As for your key problem, I think the earlier posts on this topic cover things pretty well, but I would first try a new battery in the key fob - it is easy to change. As far as I know, all Boxsters have remote central locking. My key has 3 buttons, but then it is a later model than yours. Hope that helps.
Hello Pjv, a fellow Aussie and Melbournian too :-). Thanks for your welcome too.

I would have thought so too mate, I mean that all would have central locking. Using the info I got from here, I found where the fuse box is and checked all the related fuses, 3 according to the book were related to central locking. E1, B8 and C3. All are good. I was only given the one key and just wrote to the seller asking for the other/s. Is it possible that the one I've been given is just a spare key? I opened it today to check the battery and there's nothing in there accept for the battery and the lamp, no circuitry whatsoever. Once again, newbie observations.

Anyone one knows how to reactivate the remote central locking system since I read that if the car is not used fro 3 or 5 days it will turn itself off?

Thanks and cheers to everyone.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #15

If the remote key doesn't unlock the car because too many days have gone by, simply put the key in the door lock and unlock the car. Once you do this, the remote key should lock and unlock the car once again.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #16

Garage
thanks Thom. I think the key that I've been given is not actually a remote key but just a key with a light, that's why it doesn't work. I just asked the owner about the other keys.

However, I'm still not sure if my car is actually equipped with keyless/remote unlock.

Thanks and cheers mate.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
pjv

Garage
Bobbyg, I have an owner's manual for the earlier series 986, and it says that 'In the case of vehicles without remote control, the grip of key A incorporates a lamp that lights up when you press the button'. In the manual for my car (2004) there is no mention of 'vehicles without remote control'. So it seems like some earlier cars do not have remote locking/unlocking, and it sounds very much like your situation. Maybe you could check the list of accessories codes that is usually found under the front boot lid, or as a last resort take it to a dealer, or other Porsche service place, to get them to have a look (probably at a price!). Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv View Post
Bobbyg, I have an owner's manual for the earlier series 986, and it says that 'In the case of vehicles without remote control, the grip of key A incorporates a lamp that lights up when you press the button'. In the manual for my car (2004) there is no mention of 'vehicles without remote control'. So it seems like some earlier cars do not have remote locking/unlocking, and it sounds very much like your situation. Maybe you could check the list of accessories codes that is usually found under the front boot lid, or as a last resort take it to a dealer, or other Porsche service place, to get them to have a look (probably at a price!). Hope that helps.
Hi PJV, thanks mate, that, together with an email I received from the original owner, clarified things for me. It was never installed with a remote as it was apparently an optional, which surprised me a little bit, considering that my much cheaper and less classy Kia Rio had it as standard for 1/5 of the price. Will have to live without lol.

Cheers mate and thanks for your help.

Ps. Can you please give me some info on how to find what the codes at the options part under the bonnet mean?

Last edited by bobbyg; 11-25-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #19
pjv

Garage
As you say, it is interesting that a car as expensive as a Porsche might not have remote locking when it is so common in cheaper cars. Now you have that sorted out, all you have to do is worry about the IMS bearing!

To get a list of option codes, have a look at website 986online.com, I just looked at it and it seems extensive. Otherwise Google 'Porsche boxster option codes' and you will get other possibilities.

Good luck with it, they are great cars, just a bit expensive to live with.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #20

Garage
thanks again pjv,

what about the IMS bearing?

cheers.