Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #1

What does a bad motor mount feel like in a Tiptronic?

I have a high mileage 2000 S Tiptronic and suspect it still has the original motor mount. The car doesn't have any of the 3,000 rpm engine vibrations I hear about and of course the cable shift linkage isn't sensitive to engine position in the way a manual trans car would be.

My car doesn't feel totally tight driving on bumpy roads and I'd be willing to tackle a motor mount replacement if I thought it would really make a difference. But I've never read a thread about motor mount issues on Tip cars so I don't know what the symptoms are or how the car changes after replacing an old mount.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #2

if it's REALLY bad, the motor will slide over and contact metal in turns. makes it sound like a bad CV joint

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

had this exact question the other day

*subscribed*
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

Mine doesn't have any metal-on-metal sounds, or any sounds at all laterally but I have some rattles on rough pavement at parking lot speeds and a "loose change" kind of sound from the console area over a bump at road speeds. I think the slow speed rattles might be the undertray but I haven't actually looked at it yet with the car on jackstands. The overall lack of tightness might be suspension bushings.

It just seemed like the new motor mount was important and beneficial but I've only seen threads from people who owned manual transmission cars.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #5

for me (2001 base/tip) i had a noise - like i was having wheel problems or like i had hit some rumble strips. but i noticed it most by the way it felt. it felt like the car was "hiccuping" and the road was really rough but at first it was only when i would let off the accelerator and the RPMs would drop. but after driving a little more it was pretty constant, almost like being in a massage chair.

here's my original post on the topic:

was driving back to the hotel this afternoon and all of a sudden, i hear this rumbling sound. i slowed down and it seemed to get a little worse. i sped up and it seemed to go away. after pulling off the interstate, it came back when i slowed down.

back at the hotel i park and everything seems fine. i push the accelerator and it felt like my seat started vibrating. anyway, between 1200 - 2000 RPM there's quite the vibration ( sitting still, not driving ). i'm thinking engine mount. under 1200 / just idling no noise / vibration. over 2000, just fine.

1200 miles from home and i think i have a problem

fyi: here's the mount that came out of the car

Last edited by tonycarreon; 06-20-2011 at 03:35 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

I've also been wondering about this.... I've got some vibrations at idle and the lower rpms, but not sure if it's normal or excessive as I do not have any boxster to compare with. Also I've got a lumpy 2nd to 3rd gearchange, although that is probably not related and that happened after I changed gearbox oil to ZF (will be changing back to Porche original oil - sigh).

My car is also not as tight on bumpy roads, but that may be the M030 suspension that is stiffer and shorter than stock. The bumpiness does affect stability.

But, so far on my 10 year old car with low low mileage, almost every rubber bushing that I've taken out is failing (except the shock top mount which still looks good), so I'm going to change the engine mount anyway.... although I'm pretty sure the mount is not totally gone yet (failing maybe).

The curious thing is no one seems to talk about the transmission mounts ? Wouldn't those go bad too ?

Last edited by shlim8; 06-21-2011 at 08:49 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #7

I have 2001 Boxster with Tip trans. Their rattles over bumps. Just replaced shocks, top hats, tie rods. Rubber on control arms, wishbones all good, no cracks. When turning at very low speed or changing direction in parking lot, sometimes I hear a clunk sound. Considering changing motor and transmission mounts. Going to take them off and check before buying new parts. A lot of trouble on jackstands. I have not seen any oil leak on garage that could be oil from transmission mount canisters. Would like feed back from anyone with related experience or thoughts on the clunk.
Krbintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Bowling ball in your trunk? Check your front motor mount. The trans mounts do get weak over time and I changed mine at 96k but the front mount takes a hellacious beating and is usually only good for 5 yrs/40k miles. If you drive winter salted roads the rubber will break down even sooner.

Hot tip- Ignore the "racing" solid Wevo mount and just use a 987.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

I hear/feel sort of "slack" when I take off or trans downshifts around turns (I thought it was a torque convertor). Kinda like the bowling ball in the trunck....
I've heard the engine mount goes quickly, the trans mounts never(rarely) go bad.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #10

Just replaced front motor mount on Boxster w tiptronics tranny and it solved the bowling sound. It's not a difficult job once you get car up on jacks. You will have to remove coolant hoses to get to it and replace coolant. Took about four hours, but I work slowly.
Krbintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbintn View Post
Just replaced front motor mount on Boxster w tiptronics tranny and it solved the bowling sound. It's not a difficult job once you get car up on jacks. You will have to remove coolant hoses to get to it and replace coolant. Took about four hours, but I work slowly.
I did not have to remove the coolant hoses to get mine. Go to pedrosgarage.com to see how to do the mount. i bought my mount from Suncoast. Pedro doesn't do the mount rebuilds anymore.