Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Cloth door pulls...kinda getto

Well since we have no shame here for drill holes in our mufflers and buying eBay parts for our Porsches (or is that just me?) I thought I'd throw this out there. I love the cloth door pulls on the GT3s but there doesn't seem to be a good way to do it on a 986. The stock door pulls do not stand out as handles so I was thinking about passing the cloth pulls through the existing handle and attaching them to the release lever..somehow. The idea would be the handles would stay stationary when the cloth is pulled. What do you guys think? Have I finally lost it? Is there a better way?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Personally between the deck lid kits and this post it seems like you guys are going down the "fiero ferrari" path. Like putting a GT3 badge on a 986, not only doesn't it make it faster but to anyone who knows the marque it looks like cards in the bike spokes.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 07-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Personally between the deck lid kits and this post it seems like you guys are going down the "fiero ferrari" path. Like putting a GT3 badge on a 986, not only doesn't it make it faster but to anyone who knows the marque it looks like cards in the bike spokes.
Haha, well I think most of us on here just want to enjoy our cars and not take them to seriously. Besides who did enjoy putting cards in our spokes as a kid
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Haha, well I think most of us on here just want to enjoy our cars and not take them to seriously. Besides who did enjoy putting cards in our spokes as a kid
I liked modifying my 986 too, no dis meant but I tried to modify it in ways that didn't make it look like it was trying to be a different car than it was, that was my only point.

As for the cards me and my idiot friends likely used baseball cards that today would buy a new bike.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, don't pick at it. It's fine the way it is.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

if you're just itching to update the door in some way, seach for the thread about the carbon fiber wrap one of the members did a while back - i forget his screenname - it looked great. understated and still fresh and new...
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

The whole point in using cloth door pulls is to make the door release mechanism as light and simple as possible. Leaving the existing hardware in place and adding more crap to the process not only has no utility...it absolutely screams "Poser".

I'm fairly new around here and I mean no disrespect, but some of the acts of automotive abomination I've seen suggested here belong on a civic street racer's forum... Along with "fart can mufflers," neon lights and spinners...

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think that anytime that any of us contemplate applying our own "unique" mods to any Porsche, we should ask our selves. Will doing this make me look like a complete tool to someone that actual builds or designs cars and then ask why that might be the case.

As in:
If I can make my car louder and lose HP at the same time...would I be a tool in the eyes of an engineer?

If I can make my car louder and make sure the air filter has to work harder to filter intake air while simultaneously raising the temp of the intake air...would I be a tool in the eyes of an engineer?

If I can add a redundant system that sort of looks race inspired while simultaneously adding weight, complexity, and possibly damaging the factory set up...would I be a tool in the eyes of an engineer?

If I can...never mind, I think I've made my point.

In the interest of capitalizing on all the interest in mods that actually don't do anything useful, I am opening a web store. I've attached a few examples of prototypes of our products. I am open to product development suggestions.

Last edited by shadrach74; 07-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

If you want this too look good and functional you will have to make a custom part out of fiberglass. Remove the handle and the its cradle and make a mould out of the cradle which also covers where the handle would be. then you make a slot through which you would pass the pull that is tied to the handle mechanism. If your not doing it like this then don't do it at all. It will look very bad if you do it any other way. That is just my opinion. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
What about just finding some 996 GT3 door panels w/pulls and do a swap? It is bound to look way cooler than some jimmy-rigged solution. Check a dismantler in your area as I think the doors are the same.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
What about just finding some 996 GT3 door panels w/pulls and do a swap? It is bound to look way cooler than some jimmy-rigged solution. Check a dismantler in your area as I think the doors are the same.
Bingo!............................................
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder - especially when it comes to "customization". But remember that quality craftsmanship is almost always recognized and appreciated.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

FYI Said straps may end up being the toughest part of the car to keep pristine without replacement. The oils from our hands leave grime and the shape seems like it will change over time with usage. I read where one of the Porsche engineers said the weight is in a spot where it makes even more sense than usual to pursue reduction. I hope that's true because the standard pull might be the one to have for the long haul. I do like how it looks with the accompanying panel and the red belt option.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 07-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

This would work (if you have a 2005 or newer Boxster)

[IMG]http://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/doorstrapsmain9x7.jpg[/IMG]

RS Door Pull Strap Conversion Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

A DYI article

DIY – GT3RS fabric door pull conversion - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

The 986/996 interior has some weak points. I'd say the doors pulls/releases are one of the best, if not literally the best, bits of the design.

Leave them alone.