Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
maybe it was his first visit to the forum, and he's now too busy searching to figure out what the hell an IMSB is...
I've spent some time (understatement) reading about IMSBs. So I know...your theory is entirely possible! (Maybe even likely...)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #22

If I read in between the lines of the OP correctly, he expected a plug change to be included in the quoted fee for a 30K service but the shop owner disagreed.
I am certain, had he offered to pay extra for it, he would've been driving around with new plugs.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #23

Hi All,

Thanks for all your input. Sorry for the late reply.

“Other that the maintenance, what have you had done?”
Water pump twice (the second was just last month). Motor mount at about 160K. Just routine maintenance otherwise.

“maybe it was his first visit to the forum, and he's now too busy searching to figure out what the hell an IMSB is”
I have no idea what an IMSB is…is this something I need to be aware of?

Further research has shown that the original Porsche recommended schedule was 30K for plugs, and since that has served me well I think I will stick with that. Since I had two prior 30Ks done at this shop I didn’t ask the cost, I just dropped it off with instructions for a 30K.

Here’s the pic of the odometer for Jaxonalden.

Best regards,
FloridaBill

Last edited by FloridaBill; 07-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Could you elaborate on this a bit. I'm new to Porsches but have a lot of experience with many types of machines, cars, motorcycles etc... I'm curious about the improvements to the FI and the failure mode of the plugs and O2 sensors in the early Boxsters. Also, how is the combustion event in a water cooled motor different then the combustion event in an air cooled motor?
In 2002 Boxsters went from single hole injectors to 4 hole, O2 sensors changed to the improved Bosch LSF, also non-return fuel supply. All this led to more accurate air/fuel ratio which makes plugs last longer. I was refering to how the air-cooled engines are a completely different design from the M96 engines requiring different service procedures.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #25

FloridaBill, great job!

What has been your oil change routine? Brand, viscosity, and interval? Thanks!
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #26

Every 15K, Mobile 1 synthetic, not sure the viscosity...
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Certified Boxster Addict

[QUOTE=FloridaBill;296635]I have no idea what an IMSB is…is this something I need to be aware of?

No, nothing to worry about.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #28

my suggestion to floridabill: keep doing what you've been doing! don't change a darn thing. i laughed when i saw the odometer. great job sir, my hat's off to you.

:dance:
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #29

Garage
[QUOTE=thstone;296647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
I have no idea what an IMSB is…is this something I need to be aware of?

No, nothing to worry about.
Supports one of the ideas that daily driven cars don't have IMS issues because the bearing stays coated with oil.

I do have another question for FloridaBill, How often does the tach see 6k RPM's?

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 07-06-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
In 2002 Boxsters went from single hole injectors to 4 hole, O2 sensors changed to the improved Bosch LSF, also non-return fuel supply. All this led to more accurate air/fuel ratio which makes plugs last longer. I was refering to how the air-cooled engines are a completely different design from the M96 engines requiring different service procedures.
The injector improvements you mention likely lead to better distribution through improved atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Regarding spark plug life, the effects of these improvements are probably so small as to likely be irrelevant. The correct heat range and electrode material have a much larger effect on plug life.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

Supports one of the ideas that daily driven cars have few major mechanical issues because the internals stay coated with oil.

I do have another question for FloridaBill, How often does the tach see 6k RPM's?
Fixed that for you!

Last edited by shadrach74; 07-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #32
Rennzenn

Garage
Hey FloridaBill,
How are the seats, steering wheel, shifter, and pedal covers holding up after all those miles?
And...are you still on the original clutch, or is your car a Tip?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #33

Ha ha. This is ****************ing hilarious. Of course, sample of one proves nothing, but I personally think this car does kind of blow the "change the oil every 3k to save the bearing theory". I never really bought that idea. The bearings are invariable filled with rancid old oil. What the oil is like in the rest of the engine seems high tangential to me!

But what about those 15k oil changes, eh? Makes me feel better about leaving it to 10k last time round! Still think I'll stick to 5k as doubt it does any harm. I just doubt it does much good with modern oils!

Anyway, FloridaBill, good on you. Whether it's luck or design (I suspect mostly luck at the same time as not for a moment suggesting your car is anything but well cared for), it's lovely for the rest of us to see a car with such long legs.

As for the bearing, ignorance truly is bliss!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #34

Garage
FloridaBill,

Sir, you ARE the man!! I have nothing but high hopes for my beloved 2004 now. As I said, I am now standing in front of my monitor capping to your amazing accomplishment of 325,000+ miles!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: :dance::dance::dance:
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #35
Certified Boxster Addict

You know the average distance to the moon is only ~239,000 miles. FloridaBill is already on the return trip back...
1979 911 SC
Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
You know the average distance to the moon is only ~239,000 miles. FloridaBill is already on the return trip back...
- he's on his 14th trip around the earth (assuming he's driving on the equator)
- he's made 135 trips from NY to LA
- he's used around 15k gallons of gasoline

i bet he didn't expect to have this much conversation about his car and is probably confused as to why everyone's making a big deal ("it's a porsche, for cripes sake")

and i'd be willing to bet that if he's ever in a town where any of the forum members live, he'd get free beer just by showing his odometer...

Last edited by tonycarreon; 07-06-2012 at 11:32 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
The injector improvements you mention likely lead to better distribution through improved atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Regarding spark plug life, the effects of these improvements are probably so small as to likely be irrelevant. The correct heat range and electrode material have a much larger effect on plug life.
Sparkplugs did not change, sparkplug life changed, so Porsche extended the recommended change interval. Keep in mind sparkplugs are cheap, gasoline is not, & neither is Porsche labor, but once the sparkplug is removed for inspection there is no abitional charge to reinstall new plugs. Also late model Porsches do not have magnetos
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'm almost to the moon!!

I just received this in the mail today:

225,000 miles… That was 7,000 miles ago. Obviously they can’t keep up with me. What do you think they will do???

So in this case I would want a list of tasks they plan on performing along with the parts list. Then I would wait for the phone call to tell me something else needed to be replaced (for a minimal cost). Hmmm… Think I will pass… Again.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #39
Certified Boxster Addict

Cheers to FloridaBill and Jager! (and anyone else with over 200K)
1979 911 SC
Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
225,000 miles… That was 7,000 miles ago. Obviously they can’t keep up with me. What do you think they will do???

So in this case I would want a list of tasks they plan on performing along with the parts list. Then I would wait for the phone call to tell me something else needed to be replaced (for a minimal cost). Hmmm… Think I will pass… Again.
Well you must have the 4 hole injectors that double the life of a set of plugs!