Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Boxster S Bassist

Hard/Notchy Shifting

I have a 2000 Boxster S with 68K miles on it. Even with careful attention to fully depressing the clutch and moving the shifter smoothly through the gate the car has hard/notchy shifting. (There is no gear grinding though.) This is partiularly for 3-6. The clutch engages nice and far down on the pedal travel.

My mechanic has looked at the car and says the cable length is good (possibly slightly long, do these stretch over time?) and the ball/clevis connections at each end are also OK as well as trans lube level and type. He has also driven it and says the shifting is normal. It seems to me though that it should be smoother like for 1st to 2nd. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there anything possibly hanging up in the shifter mechanism under the boot itself that might be causing this? Thanks!

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Have the mounts (engine/transmission) been looked at? IS the "notchy" feeling there on both up and down shifts?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

When was the last time the gear box lube was changed, and what product is in it?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Boxster S Bassist

Thanks folks! Both good comments.
It seems slightly harder on the upshifts.
I am not sure when the lube was changed so likely just a good idea to replace it. My mech said it is not a type that causes harder shifting; there was a particular brand he mentioned.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

First of all, a lot of people have tried a a lot of different gear oils in these cars, and most "after market" gear oils cause shifting issues like you mentioned and noise issues; all of which go away when the car is swithced back to the Porsche gear oil. Do a search, see for your self......
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

In my opinion, all 986 Boxster tranmissions are notchy, a bit clunky, and somewhat hard to shift as compared to other modern day cars. My 2002 Mini shifts like a dream compared to the Boxster.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
First of all, a lot of people have tried a a lot of different gear oils in these cars, and most "after market" gear oils cause shifting issues like you mentioned and noise issues; all of which go away when the car is swithced back to the Porsche gear oil. Do a search, see for your self......
I've been using Mobil 1 since it came out in any application I can find. This spring I changed the oil in my 6-speed (what drained out looked terrible) and gave it a clean fill of Mobil 1. Shifts like a ******************** until I have driven it for 15 minutes; should have used the Porsche lube. I'll switch it out when I have some time and feel like pulling off that damn aluminum plate again. Couldn't Porsche have drilled a hole in it so you can get at the drain plug without undoing half the suspension?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
In my opinion, all 986 Boxster tranmissions are notchy, a bit clunky, and somewhat hard to shift as compared to other modern day cars. My 2002 Mini shifts like a dream compared to the Boxster.
Just think of how long the cable is from the cabin to the end of the rear bumper where the tranny is located. Then think of how long the cable is on a regular FF/FR car where the tranny is located right next to the gear shifter. Just think about that for a moment...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Agreed. What works for me is the following. An instant before every shift, with the clutch out, I put a little pressure on the shifter in the direction of the gear I want to shift to. Then maintaining pressure, I push in the clutch and the car shifts perfectly every time.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #10

A bad front motor mount will impact shifting quality and at your mileage if it's original I guarantee it's shot. The early design doesn't last. The upgraded 987 mount is much better. I would eliminate this first and see how you feel about the shift quality.

Steve
BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Boxster S Bassist

Thanks everyone for all of your good comments/suggestions!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerneseMtnDog View Post
A bad front motor mount will impact shifting quality and at your mileage if it's original I guarantee it's shot. The early design doesn't last. The upgraded 987 mount is much better. I would eliminate this first and see how you feel about the shift quality.

Steve
100% true, replace your motor mount
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #13

Interesting. The shifting is great.
jennilynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #14

John - I recently replaced the 2 transmission mounts on my 2000 Boxster. With the new mounts the shifter and clutch feel are both smoother, less "gritty", than before. At 12 years old your mounts (2 supporting the transmission, and the front one supporting the engine) may soon start to fail. The tell tale signs are: increased vibrations from the engine compartment especially when accelerating and decelerating, rougher feel in the shifter and clutch, and the seals leaking dark, viscous oil.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Boxster S Bassist

Not knowing how old the transaxle lube was I had it changed last week. The front motor mount is being replaced tomorrow with the upgraded unit. We'll see how it shifts then!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
Boxster S Bassist

Changing the worn out (cracked around about 2/3 of the perimeter, gulp!) front motor mount to the 987 type really improved the shifting plus the car seems to idle more smoothly and have an overall more solid feel! No more slight rattle when I shut down the engine either! Thanks Bernese Mountain Dog!