986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hard/Notchy Shifting (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36111-hard-notchy-shifting.html)

John Bergen 06-28-2012 12:13 PM

Hard/Notchy Shifting

I have a 2000 Boxster S with 68K miles on it. Even with careful attention to fully depressing the clutch and moving the shifter smoothly through the gate the car has hard/notchy shifting. (There is no gear grinding though.) This is partiularly for 3-6. The clutch engages nice and far down on the pedal travel.

My mechanic has looked at the car and says the cable length is good (possibly slightly long, do these stretch over time?) and the ball/clevis connections at each end are also OK as well as trans lube level and type. He has also driven it and says the shifting is normal. It seems to me though that it should be smoother like for 1st to 2nd. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there anything possibly hanging up in the shifter mechanism under the boot itself that might be causing this? Thanks!

shadrach74 06-28-2012 12:32 PM

Have the mounts (engine/transmission) been looked at? IS the "notchy" feeling there on both up and down shifts?

JFP in PA 06-28-2012 12:34 PM

When was the last time the gear box lube was changed, and what product is in it?

John Bergen 06-28-2012 12:54 PM

Thanks folks! Both good comments.
It seems slightly harder on the upshifts.
I am not sure when the lube was changed so likely just a good idea to replace it. My mech said it is not a type that causes harder shifting; there was a particular brand he mentioned.

JFP in PA 06-28-2012 02:00 PM

First of all, a lot of people have tried a a lot of different gear oils in these cars, and most "after market" gear oils cause shifting issues like you mentioned and noise issues; all of which go away when the car is swithced back to the Porsche gear oil. Do a search, see for your self......

thstone 06-28-2012 08:46 PM

In my opinion, all 986 Boxster tranmissions are notchy, a bit clunky, and somewhat hard to shift as compared to other modern day cars. My 2002 Mini shifts like a dream compared to the Boxster.

peterbrown77 06-29-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 295794)
First of all, a lot of people have tried a a lot of different gear oils in these cars, and most "after market" gear oils cause shifting issues like you mentioned and noise issues; all of which go away when the car is swithced back to the Porsche gear oil. Do a search, see for your self......

I've been using Mobil 1 since it came out in any application I can find. This spring I changed the oil in my 6-speed (what drained out looked terrible) and gave it a clean fill of Mobil 1. Shifts like a ******************** until I have driven it for 15 minutes; should have used the Porsche lube. I'll switch it out when I have some time and feel like pulling off that damn aluminum plate again. Couldn't Porsche have drilled a hole in it so you can get at the drain plug without undoing half the suspension?

ekam 06-29-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 295820)
In my opinion, all 986 Boxster tranmissions are notchy, a bit clunky, and somewhat hard to shift as compared to other modern day cars. My 2002 Mini shifts like a dream compared to the Boxster.

Just think of how long the cable is from the cabin to the end of the rear bumper where the tranny is located. Then think of how long the cable is on a regular FF/FR car where the tranny is located right next to the gear shifter. Just think about that for a moment...

san rensho 06-29-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 295820)

Agreed. What works for me is the following. An instant before every shift, with the clutch out, I put a little pressure on the shifter in the direction of the gear I want to shift to. Then maintaining pressure, I push in the clutch and the car shifts perfectly every time.

BerneseMtnDog 06-29-2012 07:06 AM

A bad front motor mount will impact shifting quality and at your mileage if it's original I guarantee it's shot. The early design doesn't last. The upgraded 987 mount is much better. I would eliminate this first and see how you feel about the shift quality.

Steve

John Bergen 07-02-2012 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your good comments/suggestions!

Franco 07-02-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerneseMtnDog (Post 295870)
A bad front motor mount will impact shifting quality and at your mileage if it's original I guarantee it's shot. The early design doesn't last. The upgraded 987 mount is much better. I would eliminate this first and see how you feel about the shift quality.

Steve

100% true, replace your motor mount

jennilynB 07-03-2012 12:31 AM

Interesting. The shifting is great.

Reggie&Sue 07-03-2012 07:52 PM

John - I recently replaced the 2 transmission mounts on my 2000 Boxster. With the new mounts the shifter and clutch feel are both smoother, less "gritty", than before. At 12 years old your mounts (2 supporting the transmission, and the front one supporting the engine) may soon start to fail. The tell tale signs are: increased vibrations from the engine compartment especially when accelerating and decelerating, rougher feel in the shifter and clutch, and the seals leaking dark, viscous oil.

John Bergen 07-09-2012 12:54 PM

Not knowing how old the transaxle lube was I had it changed last week. The front motor mount is being replaced tomorrow with the upgraded unit. We'll see how it shifts then!

John Bergen 07-10-2012 03:10 PM

Changing the worn out (cracked around about 2/3 of the perimeter, gulp!) front motor mount to the 987 type really improved the shifting plus the car seems to idle more smoothly and have an overall more solid feel! No more slight rattle when I shut down the engine either! Thanks Bernese Mountain Dog!