Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #21

Hello ... No duties were not that steep because it was 'Made in the USA" ... It was shipped UPS and they charged me an additional $46.17 to clear the package. The actual shipping charge is listed on the vendors website. Again, I bought through Autotopsdirect . Hope this helps.

And416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #22

I bought this one on ebay. $60 to ship USPS. No duties taxes or other fees.

Porsche Boxster & S Convertible Top w/Glass Window Haartz Cloth 6yr Warnty 97-02 | eBay
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #23

Stopped into a place today here in Woodstock On and was quoted $1600 for top and $1200 install. He said if I didn't buy from him absolutely no warranty if it didn't fit too bad, the quality probably wouldn't be any good etc. Autotopsonline as the top i need for $559! May look in London or Kitchener for an installer, or drive to Toronto
Msw-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
igk

thanks. i'll check it out.
have you had it installed yet? happy with it?

i drive with the top down as much as i can, but would still like original quality material if possible.

did you go with the shop in Scarborough that was suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
I bought this one on ebay. $60 to ship USPS. No duties taxes or other fees.

Porsche Boxster & S Convertible Top w/Glass Window Haartz Cloth 6yr Warnty 97-02 | eBay
igk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #25

I am half way through the install. ie the old top is off. Not an easy job.

I had to order a couple of parts that were damaged from Porsche. If you read the install instructions online they recommend you pre buy because it is highly likely damaged during removal. Not expensive. The sliders were about $15 each x 2.

I decided to do it myself as the logistics of getting it done in Scarboro ( i am in Mississauga ) were too complicated.

The top quality looks excellent but I cannot comment on the fit yet
Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #26

Quote:
I am half way through the install. ie the old top is off. Not an easy job.

I had to order a couple of parts that were damaged from Porsche. If you read the install instructions online they recommend you pre buy because it is highly likely damaged during removal. Not expensive. The sliders were about $15 each x 2.

I decided to do it myself as the logistics of getting it done in Scarboro ( i am in Mississauga ) were too complicated.

The top quality looks excellent but I cannot comment on the fit yet
Brian:

If you take your time, don't cut any corners and follow the DIY instructions posted on Mike Focke's website, you can get a perfect result.

It's tempting to expedite matters because it's such a lengthy process, but if you stick to it you'll be very pleased with the end result.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
igk

Hi And416
I was wondering if you would be able to tell me how much time you left your car at the shop for?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by And416 View Post
Hi ... The shop in Toronto that I went to was :

New Image Auto Interiors
1630 Midland Ave (North of Lawrence)
416-752-0883

I was given their contact name by a local Indy Porsche repair shop.

I am very pleased with my new roof. It needed to stretch when it was first installed but has now fallen into place. The installers were great. They knew exactly what to do and how to do it. The top looks perfect and is tight. It is a small shop but I was very impressed with the quality they turn out.

The top I bought had the glass insert inplace of the plastic window. It takes a little getting use to because you do not have the same amount of rear viability as with the plastic window. I tend to use the side mirrors to see in further back vs the rear view mirror to see immediate traffic following.
igk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #28

I upgraded to the Gahh glass top a couple years ago. The top including install cost around $800.
aztecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by igk View Post
Hi And416
I was wondering if you would be able to tell me how much time you left your car at the shop for?

thanks
If you arrange the time before hand it can be done in a day.

I left the car overnight, so technically they had my car two days.
And416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecw View Post
I upgraded to the Gahh glass top a couple years ago. The top including install cost around $800.
Where did you have it done? That is an excellent deal.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #31

Finished the top install myself. I am extremely happy with the results. Not a wrinkle in sight and top opens and closes perfectly. The glass rear window and the unfaded black canvas really improve the look of the car.

Not an easy job, but do-able. Like everyone else says it would be so much easier the second time around.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #32

Looks great! Congratulations! I'll most likely try the DYI when time comes to get a new top for my Box.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Finished the top install myself. I am extremely happy with the results. Not a wrinkle in sight and top opens and closes perfectly. The glass rear window and the unfaded black canvas really improve the look of the car.

Not an easy job, but do-able. Like everyone else says it would be so much easier the second time around.
We're you able to do it solo? Or is it a 2 man job. I just got a a tear on the window and need to replace mine, but finding extra wrenching help doesn't look good (my friends are not working on car types). Wondering if I could do it by myself.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #34

I did it entirely by myself. Had wife help for about 5 minutes to slide new roof into channels
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:

Wow. Great work. Congrats!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
I did it entirely by myself. Had wife help for about 5 minutes to slide new roof into channels
Where did you meet your wife?
I think I need to go there.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Where did you meet your wife?
I think I need to go there.
Me too. My current one is a PITA. I need one that likes Halo and working on cars...

Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote