Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Good Point, I will think of something.

Whatever you come up with better have an appeasing effect, it will never be more clear to you who has always held the keys to the "funhouse" than when you finally slide that ring on.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
JD, sounds like Project M96 enjoys Jetskiing (and as the owner of one myself I tend to agree
as they are Moocho fun). That being said JD, that "Thing" in the photo suffocating that poor
dude couldn't fit on a jetski (at least to keep it afloat) and B. it would NEVER fit into a Boxster
so your logic is as they say my friend....flawed ?

Now as for the OP asking for input, I've put my King Solomon crown on here to
think this out....He's your Pops. You GOTTA let him borrow the Box. Just let him
know that any damage incurred will be taken care of BY Pops if any does happen
to occur. Lay something down for the "oily, stainy, smelly pot of food" so it does no
damage if spilling should occur. By letting him actually DRIVE it all those complaints
he had about it will disappear. If you care I mean.

It sounds like you've resolved the "letting my GF drive it" thing with the illustration
you made. But this is the far more tricky aspect of this IMO. Because if she DOES
continue to bring it up, then you have a far different problem on your hands. I
could recommend renting something that is stick and letting her drive that and
"learn" how to drive stick better, but can you even rent stick ? Also we all know
EVERY clutch in EVERY vehicle is different and takes a certain learning curve to
adjust to its nuances. This could end up being the thornier issue.

At the end of the day I guess I would take Johnny Danger's advice
It's all about needing to be held .
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #23

I tried to rent a car with a stick so that my daughter could learn how to drive a standard in a car other than my box. No such luck - there is nowhere in this city that rents cars with standard transmissions.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

As a nerd, math always helps...

Dad + Boxster + Dad's Girlfriend = Happy Father
Son + SUV + Jetski + Girlfriend = Happy Son
Happy Father = Happy Son

Romantic Hungarian Woman + Man = VERY Happy Man

Girlfriend + Boxster = Happy Girlfriend
Happy Girlfriend = VERY Happy Boyfriend
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I tried to rent a car with a stick so that my daughter could learn how to drive a standard in a car other than my box. No such luck - there is nowhere in this city that rents cars with standard transmissions.
Yeah not anymore. Assuming my carfax report was right, my 96 Mazda Protege 5 speed manual was originally a rental car in NJ when it was imported into the U.S. 17 years ago. But no one rents them anymore except for specialty car companies that rent out Porsche's, Lambo's, and Ferrari's.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Yeah not anymore. Assuming my carfax report was right, my 96 Mazda Protege 5 speed manual was originally a rental car in NJ when it was imported into the U.S. 17 years ago. But no one rents them anymore except for specialty car companies that rent out Porsche's, Lambo's, and Ferrari's.
My brother bought a 2002 996 new in 2001. In 2002, with about 4000 miles, it suffered the famous 2nd gear slip-outta-gear problem. Brother returned to dealer, service manager said "we're gonna replace the transmission with a new one, and put in a new clutch while we're there. I'll order a transmission right now, bring it back in about two weeks for the install."

Brother called me, said, "Bring your 13YO daughter over, she's gonna learn to drive a stick."

I said, "But I have an old Miata and an old Protoge5 I was planning to teach her on when the time is right."

"The time is right, now, son," says older brother.

So over the following week or 10 days darling daughter learned to drive, and learned to drive a stick on brother's six-month-old 996. New tranny and clutch went in, all was well. (That said, bro said she didn't do any discernible damage at all to the old clutch/tranny. But I wasn't gonna teach her on my Boxster regardless.)
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
As a nerd, math always helps...

Dad + Boxster + Dad's Girlfriend = Happy Father
Son + SUV + Jetski + Girlfriend = Happy Son
Happy Father = Happy Son

Romantic Hungarian Woman + Man = VERY Happy Man

Girlfriend + Boxster = Happy Girlfriend
Happy Girlfriend = VERY Happy Boyfriend
One of my favorite posts of all time!

Let your dad borrow the car, I seriously doubt he will maliciously try to harm the car, and I'm sure he would pay to repair any damage he causes to it, which seems to be your main concern. I let my dad drive my Boxster when he is around, he complains about getting into it, but ends up with Permagrin...