Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #1

picked up an 01 986 S

So after a bunch of research here and other places, I picked up a Merdian Silver 01 S with 105k. From everything I read, this was a safer bet than a low mileage non s, not to mention a bit more fun. A PPI done by Scott at German Motorwerks in Ashville, NC revealed that while the car was due for service, it was mechanically sound. Scott has been working on P-cars since he was 14 and really knows his stuff. His report was very detailed and included pictures.

I have yet to drive it as I wanted it fully serviced before doing so. Here is what it's getting:
- New Bilstein's all around, which of course means an alignment.
- pads and rotors on all 4 corners.
- New belts - wow on having to take out the front seats to change them!
- New plugs/wires
- All new fluids (everything!), all new filters
- removal of front bumper to clean out radiators
- full detail and cleaning out the drain plugs under the top, which are a little blocked.

Around 2003 I used to sell for a multiline dealer and was a Porsche salesman that was also certified on BMW's. I had access to everything and when I needed to go for a fun drive to clear my head or take a break, I always grabbed a Boxster. So really looking forward to owning one and driving the snot out of it as much as possible!
Some obligatory pics:

Last edited by clubracer6; 05-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.
clubracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Congrats and I love your driving location.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

Looks great! Meridian Silver -- that looks kinda on the brown side of silver, like GT Silver Metallic. Is that right? Most silver Porsches from the 2000s are Artic (very neutral), with a few Polars (blueish side of silver) thrown in for good measure
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

thanks! Yep, it's on the brown side of silver... I thought it was polar silver at first, but it's certainly Merdian, which I like better for a Boxster than Polar Silver.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Did you do the shocks yourself? I am looking at doing ours this weekend. How much time should I allow?
stuttgart46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Congrats!

BTW, it's really not necessary to pull the front seat(s) to change out the belt---just pick the side you want to work from and, for that seat, slide & tilt it forward a good bit...FWIW.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Stuttgart - nope I did not, I have a shop doing the repairs. I want to say it was 8 book hours, but they may only be charging me for 5. I think the fronts are really easy and the back might be slightly more challenging. I know there are a bunch of thread here and on Rennlist about it.

Frodo - thanks, good to know - I think they just wanted to be careful and have more room.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
M31

Garage
Your Purchase

Congrats on your '01 Boxster S...I just recently purchased an '02 S as my retirement car and I think we both have the same colour...Meridian Metallic paint code L6A6 found under the front hood. I'll be driving mine out through the Canadian Rockies this summer into B.C. and then down into California wine country. Trying to find cd map updates for the 2002 factory PCM but so far no luck...
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M31 View Post
Congrats on your '01 Boxster S...I just recently purchased an '02 S as my retirement car and I think we both have the same colour...Meridian Metallic paint code L6A6 found under the front hood. I'll be driving mine out through the Canadian Rockies this summer into B.C. and then down into California wine country. Trying to find cd map updates for the 2002 factory PCM but so far no luck...
Looks great - I will have to look under the hood for final confirmation!

Enjoy your road trip -sounds amazing - wish I had the time!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

+1 on starting out with a complete update of the service and major wear items like the pads, rotors, plugs, wires, and belt. Previous owners have a tendency to skimp on the maintenance because they know that they are going to sell the car. This way you have a good starting point for future maintenance. Cool color too. Congrat's!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Hey bud I just got a boxster s 2001 as well...but I have PCM 1 but no code...any pointers....craving to even have a radio, but love to keep it original...any ideas on how to get code for my radio?
Boxsternik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #12

105K miles mt? How are the motor mounts? I had mine done recently... shifter thanks me every day.
if you flushed the coolant make sure you replace the cap to the newest version if you haven't already.
If the cap is past its shelf date, air will get in... can lead to cracking of that old brittle tank, coolant all over the floor.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-20-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #13

Gorgeous car! +1 on the coolant cap.
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsternik View Post
Hey bud I just got a boxster s 2001 as well...but I have PCM 1 but no code...any pointers....craving to even have a radio, but love to keep it original...any ideas on how to get code for my radio?
For your radio code, take a look here and post #55

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/45577-becker-cdr-220-radio-code.html

A search of this forum will find almost anything
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #15

Looks like brand new rotors too?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by M31 View Post
I would love to do a similar trip one day, especially in the Boxster. Enjoy!
'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
Artist, 986S tinkerer

When I bought mine (2001 S, Arctic silver) in California, I drove it across the bottom, what's that, the 40?, (follows old Route 66) through Memphis then up through the Blue Ridge mountains and on up to Montreal. Great road trip to try out my new (old) Boxster! What a blast! I was giggling for days!

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote