Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
Side Porsche

Brake job

I'm going to have to do brakes soon. I have an 01 base 986 but it has red calipers. Although I know it could be painted I am trying to find out before I order new parts and pads.
My question:
Is there a sure fire way to determine the brakes? What are the differences? Would pictures be helpful?

mipstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

Garage
This doesn't answer your questions but I am curious ....

Has your brake warning light on your dash ever come on? I'm wondering how much faith to place in that.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

Can you see the tops of the existing front brake pads? Stock "S" pads have 2 counter balance type things sticking up out of the top of the pad, while the stock base pads do not, like this:

986 S front brake pad:

986 Base front brake pad:

Note this is not 100% because you can get front "S" pads that do not have the front weight things.

I believe the back pads are the same between the base and S.

You could also look at the front rotors - I think if you swap to the S brakes you need to go to the S rotors as well, all though I am not 100% on that. But if you did have the bigger cross drilled fronts that would be an easy way to tell as well.

So these are not definitive but are two quick ways to tell if you have S front brakes.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post

Has your brake warning light on your dash ever come on? I'm wondering how much faith to place in that.
Mine came on when I was at Road Atlanta braking from 120 MPH to around 60 at the end of the back straight, I knew there was plenty of front pad left as I visually inspected between sessions. My light came on because the sensor overheated and melted. Oddly later in the day it went out. Now I have removed all brake sensors and just visually inspect my brake pads since I am in there often enough to do so.

If you get them good and hot they can melt and give a false reading.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
Side Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post

My brake sensor light did come on recently. I *think* it is the rear that caused it to light up. I just got the car recently.

It did come on once while sitting in my garage and the car was on then it went off. Then a few days later came back on once again sitting in the garage and has not gone off since.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Side Porsche

Front

Rear
Attached Images

Last edited by mipstien; 02-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Side Porsche

Due to the paint peeling and where it is at on those calipers I am assuming it is just that, paint, and not the upgraded calipers. Luckily I only think the rears need service.