Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Locking lug nuts, lost key

I bought my Boxster and the previous owner could not find the Locking lug nut key socket.

What can I do?

Are they on the car when new and perhaps I can get a new key socket if they re related to the VIN?

Can I buy a replacement socket if I don't know their code?

Can a tire dealer remove them some how?

What is the best way so as not to damage the rims?

Ideas?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

The only way to get a replacement key is at a dealer. They can figure out which key you need.

Alternatively, they can be removed without the key but you might have to use a bit of elbow grease.

Many owners remove them and replace with plain lug bolts becausae they tend to be a PITA.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #3

Check out this thread, you might get some ideas.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/32465-these-oe-porsche-locking-nuts.html
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Once you've got this sorted out, if you want a new set of locks with a key, please email me.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #5

Go to the dealer, they have a have a set of keys. Have them remove them and replace with standard lugs. How many times have you heard of someone stealing wheels and tires, especially a Porsche. They steal the whole car.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

The dealer or a good tire shop can get them off. Then throw them away. You don't need them.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

That link was very enlightening thanks, I might try the modified socket idea if it looks feasible.

Actually I need new rear tires anyway so I'll call the tire shop and see if they have the tools to do it.

Getting the tire sale will be dependent on them being able to remove the locks so they should be well motivated.

I was wondering why they locked the rims too, since it would be better to take the whole car if they wanted to steal something.

I'll replace these with regular lugs, any suggestions on where I could pick up 4.

Maybe I can get some shiny imitation chrome plastic lug caps for all 4 wheels too.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

When I bought my box I bought four new lug bolts from Pelican Parts and threw away the locking bolts. I think you'll find most guys here like the folks at Pelican Parts -- and their prices. They have the lug bolts you're looking for.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

I removed the locking lugs today with the LT-4300 ($43) tool set I just bought online.

The set includes the lock remover and the damaged regular lug remover.

Really all you need is the LT-400-25 tool ($28) to remove the locking lugs.

I took a video that I will post monday showing how quick and easy it is with this tool. Literally the same time it takes to remove a regular lug, less than a minute.

I just used a regular 3/8 socket wrench with a short ~1" long 1/2" to 3/8 adapter since the socket has a 1/2" drive in the center (double ended socket)

I got the wrench horizontal and stood and bounced on it to unscrew the bolt, no air tools or breaker bar required.

I replaced the locking bolts with regular ones and don't need the set anymore so if someone wants to buy it I'll pass it along for $30 plus shipping for the set.

The locking bolts do not even get damaged and I suppose someone could get a replacement key and use them again.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #10

Here is the video using LT-400-25 tool to remove a locking lugnut.

It was a lot easier and quicker than I imagined and at $28 this is all you need to remove 19mm & 3/4" locking lug nuts. Not even worth wasting the time to talk to the Porsche dealer on the phone to ask what they might charge for 4 removals.

I did all 4 in under 10 minutes including making the video.

So if you think your wheels are safe from someone that has come equiped to take them...dream on!

CIMG3470 - YouTube

Three of them came off just as quick in the video but 1 did require a little extra effort to get locked on without slipping. A few taps with a hammer locked that one on as well but the other just grabbed the lug on their own without help.

As I mentioned the tool did not even damage the lug and did not touch the rim at all in the process.

So no more gripping about lost keys. Just buy this tool and do it yourself quickly and easily and then pass it on to the next lost key victim.