Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #61
WV Boxster

Garage
Just came back from the beach house in middle of night. No traffic and a short time frame. Took six hours for a normal seven and half hour drive. Just before the really twisty 33 miles of the trip speed limit on 4 lane is 55. Had a minivan come up on me and tried to hang, I took off just to get away and not have to watch the guy die. He tried to follow me at 75 so I left him in the worst section with a short burst of 90. Never to be seen again. He scared me I could see that thing leaning left then a hard flip back to the right then back thought for sure it was flipping over.

Side note that section at those speeds with maybe three cars at 4am was a blast.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #62
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Faster! FASTER!!!

(taken during a break from my lcd led backlight mod, so no digitals)

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2013 at 08:31 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #63
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I just got back from KC. Pulled up next to a red late 90's Carrera convertible on the freeway.
We paced each other for a while, checking out each others cars. That was pretty freakin sweet!

I'm easily amused!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #64
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
all positive

mess... not really... well, not true, because i park far away, but someone ALWAYS pulls up right next to me! grrrrr

cops.... seems to ignore me, strangely enough, even when testing redline
ah, i take it back, just got my first ticket and it's a doozy
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
ah, i take it back, just got my first ticket and it's a doozy
The first day I got my car I ran into a Chevy Equinox with black limo tint on I70. He was in front of me in the left lane and would speed up to 95 and then slow down to 52. He changed into the right lane and then back to left before I could pass... then speed back up and then slow down. I downshifted to 2nd and went around him. tached out in 2nd, then 3rd and hit 4th. I was accelerating through 125 when I checked the rear view to see how far back he was. That's when I saw his grill lights light up blue and red... I through up my arms (had the top down) and pulled over immediately. He walked to the car and asked,

"how many tickets would you like sir?"

I sheepishly replied that none would be nice and apologized for driving like such a jackass. He lectured me for 10 mins about driving like a teenager and how he could take me to jail...and then walked back to his truck.

He emerged 10 mins later with a scowl on his face that slowly broke into a smile as he reached my car. "it's always nice to surprise someone like you, here's a warning. If I see you out here doing this again, I will ticket you! Slow it down."

Weirdest and luckiest experience I've ever had with a cop...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penland View Post
I seem to be invisible to cops, maybe my car has a factory option cloaking device...
I get a lot of compliments from guys, but only a handful of ladies seem impressed (unless they are just playing hard to get)
But around where i live, every young guy with a ricer try's to race me, usually to impress their female passenger. It takes everything in me to not show off hah.
I get many young guys trying to race me, telling me to rev the engine or do a burnout, or they just want to see me accelerate. Usually not with ricers, but with clean 350z's, Scion tC's, WRX's, Mustang's and Camaro's, and Civic Si's. I usually cave in to my temptations and show em what I got.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
The first day I got my car I ran into a Chevy Equinox with black limo tint on I70. He was in front of me in the left lane and would speed up to 95 and then slow down to 52. He changed into the right lane and then back to left before I could pass... then speed back up and then slow down. I downshifted to 2nd and went around him. tached out in 2nd, then 3rd and hit 4th. I was accelerating through 125 when I checked the rear view to see how far back he was. That's when I saw his grill lights light up blue and red... I through up my arms (had the top down) and pulled over immediately. He walked to the car and asked,

"how many tickets would you like sir?"
This was a cop driving like a drunk idiot? Holy crap I think if he would've given you a ticket you'd of had a good case to get it throw out based on his reckless driving! Makes me think it was a drunk or a serial killer driving erratic like that.
LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightngSVT View Post
This was a cop driving like a drunk idiot? Holy crap I think if he would've given you a ticket you'd of had a good case to get it throw out based on his reckless driving! Makes me think it was a drunk or a serial killer driving erratic like that.
I believe he was bored and was trying to see if he could insight some juvenile behavior from a sports car driver...He was successful so I imagine that after he'd had his fun he decided to send me on my way.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #69
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Driving in the left lane is illegal in most places, so he was probably still breaking the law(unless on a call or in pursuit).

The left lane is for passing and moving over for breakdowns, police stops, and mergers. It irritates the heck out of me that so many "drivers" are ignorant to this. It is also extremely bad etiquette. It does not fly in Missouri, as we have strict enforcement of that particular law...especially in KC. Nebraskans are the worst; driving 60 in the passing lane in a 70 zone. Every darn day.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-19/delaware-highway-traffic/54409762/1

Last edited by particlewave; 06-18-2012 at 07:20 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #70

In MD, the right lane is the new left lane. You can regularly see car train 12 vehicles long in the left lane and no one in the right or middle lanes. It's awful.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
Certified Boxster Addict

Yesterday I stopped at a stop sign and waited for a guy to cross the street. As he get close to me he says, "Sorry, but I'm walking slow so I can have more time to check out your beautiful car"!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #72

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
In MD, the right lane is the new left lane. You can regularly see car train 12 vehicles long in the left lane and no one in the right or middle lanes. It's awful.
The far left lane has been taken over by texter's here in LA.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #73
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The far left lane has been taken over by texter's here in LA.
Wouldn't it be cool if it was legal to pelt texters with paint balls? At least one day a year.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #74
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if it was legal to pelt texters with paint balls? At least one day a year.
Yes, yes, and YES! Love this idea!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #75

Except instead of paint we'll put brake fluid in the balls.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #76
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Except instead of paint we'll put brake fluid in the balls.
That's too mean spirited, I had a similar idea once regarding the construction of round up water balloons but never tried to get the logistics down.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #77

LOL - that is wicked, and the beauty of it is that small round spots of dead grass would get blamed on some dog.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #78

Garage
Here in Texas the left lane is not limited to just passing. You will find people driving from Austin to Dallas in the left lane for hours! People drive on both right and left lane on highways effectively causing traffic problems. It's a standoff!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #79

I live in a tourist town and my cars tend to get attention when I park them out and about. I normally park them in a private off street lot when I take them out on Friday or Saturday nights. Every so often I park them on street in front of one of the local wine bars I frequent. The wine bar has a front porch and it's neat to sit on the porch with a glass of wine and watch the tourist walk by and check them out. I'm always amazed about how many pictures are taken of them. The old 911 is in much worse shape than the Boxster (Boxster is pristine) but it seems to get most of the attention. I think it's because it has the big whale tail on it. Late at night one a year or so ago we sat on the porch of the wine bar when two couples walked by, the guy convinced their ladies to "flash" while the guys took a couple of pictures. I hollered at them that I wanted copies of the pics but they just laughed it off and walked down the street.
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #80

I make a 10 hour drive at least once a year with my wife to visit my mom in rural Maine. These cars are very rare and exotic there. Often, if we are there over the weekend, we will go with my mom to her little Baptist church for the Sunday service. Usually there are three of us and the Boxster gets left behind, but a couple of years ago, my mom had to drive separately for some reason and I pulled up to the quiet country church and parked the Boxster in the grassy lot.

Before the service a couple of little old ladies asked if that were my car and could they have a ride. I told them I’d be happy to take them for a ride. I really didn’t think they were serious but afterward one of them was waiting for me. I guess the other chickened out.

I dropped the top, strapped her in, started the engine (revving a little for effect) and laid a patch of rubber when I hit the pavement. I took her on a fairly spirited ride a few miles down the twisty road and back. The little old lady was thoroughly thrilled. As we pulled back in several onlookers had cameras ready and were snapping pics. My mom says one of them is still on the church bulletin board.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote